the pull

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
fortune

the pull

Post by fortune » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:49 am

The two best books i've read are "the secret" and "a new earth", the secret is about the law of attraction and how to get what you want and a new earth is more about inner stillness, the present moment and we all know what it's about. I know it's my ego but whenever i am focusing on being present i feel this pull or push that is making me feel that i have to be working on my goals or you could also call it desire. Sometimes i know it is my ego but in couple of books i've read it talks about how we have a vast amount of potential and i don't like to use the word god but god or higher power or whatever you want to call it is constantly pushing us because it knows the potential we have. I feel sometimes that there is two of me, one that wants the stillness and content and the one that is telling me to pursue my goals and get a move on with it.
I suppose i just feel a confusion, if that pull is my ego telling me to find happiness externally or i am being pushed to better myself.

karmarider

Re: the pull

Post by karmarider » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:52 am

fortune wrote:...I suppose i just feel a confusion, if that pull is my ego telling me to find happiness externally or i am being pushed to better myself.
Yes, it's all of that. It's confusing because non-dualism tells us we should be present and aware and let go of desires, and then there is all this other stuff like the Secret and self-improvement and social pressure and our own beliefs telling us we must have clear goals and work hard towards achieving them. It's quite a battle.

What I suggest is don't fight your desires or goals. They are--let them be, and watch them passively. The Sedona method is pretty good, it tells us to see if any particular desire comes from the need for control, for security, for approval, or completeness, or their opposites. The ego will fight us on releasing desires, because it feels that it will lose control adn we feel our lives will completely fall apart if we don't have feverish desires and goals. But it's easier to release the aspects, that is the need for control etc around desires, and then there is clarity.

Chariot

Post by Chariot » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:21 am

I've heard Eckhart say that there's nothing wrong with planning. Having goals is perfectly fine and a part of life. It's when we think the goals will complete us or enhance our sense of self that we set ourselves up for disappointment. The nature of form is always changing and can't be relied upon to sustain an enhanced sense of self and it's therefore an illusion. Your true nature is always with you and doesn't need enhancing, but that doesn't mean you should avoid playing with form. Just don't look to form as a means of finding yourself or permanent happiness.

I AM

Post by I AM » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:47 am

This is just my opinion.

Now, I don't have much wanting at all. I don't know why. I just don't have it very much these days. I do have an interest in cooking, but I do not have an energy to pursue it as a career in a normal sense. I want to do it because I like it. Lately, I see that I do not live alone in this world, so I should not want something just for myself. I really like cooking and want to cook good foods for people if my foods taste good and people really like the foods that I cook. This is how I see a "career" in my own version. I know we live in human society where a career means we earn so much money and prestige out of it, but for me this is how I see a "career". It is more of an occupation of my time because I enjoy that activity. Because I enjoy that activity, I don't need a big money for that. Prestige or recognition is not something I go after in the first place as being myself now is already OK and it's good already. This is just something I do in my own life. I don't know how other people will live their lives.

BINNOY

THE LAW OF ATTRACTION

Post by BINNOY » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:57 pm

The law of attraction ofcource as we all know is a universal law.Its good to see that people are going beyong the secret. i STRONGLY believe that the purpose of life is much more than creating outer realities.The purpose of ones life is not to create outer realities.
It is much much more. The purpose of LOA is perhaps to teach us that we are one with the universe.
However using the law of attraction as is means duality.

BINNOY
WHISPERS FROM SILENCE
http://binnoy.hpage

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:53 am

However using the law of attraction as is means duality.
Yup, and fundamental to the "Law of Attraction" is attachment to outcomes.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce