Intellectual resonance

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
runstrails

Intellectual resonance

Post by runstrails » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:18 am

I have a long way to go to awaken. But I’ve come a long way already. After years of seeking, reading PON clicked with me and then finding this forum really solidified what was talked about in PON and ANE. I am conscious as an observer now. I find that when in nature (running trails or hiking) it’s really easy for me to reside in my conscious nature. However, all that is said about non-duality in this forum, by ET and other teachers really resonates with me on *both* a visceral and intellectual level. I still have to constantly remind myself to return to the present. Often (at work or at home with a young child) I lapse into the ego state, but I am able to observe that ego at work quite easily now. I know that an ‘intellectual insight’ is of the mind and hence best disregarded. But I find a real comfort and peace even with an intellectual understanding of non-duality (consciousness and oneness), even though I cannot embody it all the time (especially at work). Just wondered whether anyone else had experienced this feeling of peace/stillness both due to an intellectual/conceptual understanding and due to conscious awareness?
Thanks again for all your wisdom on this forum.

Sighclone

Re: Intellectual resonance

Post by Sighclone » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:38 am

The challenge of a keen mind is that it grinds away and forms concepts. The path of jnani yoga is the path of understanding -- it is one valid route. Something for the intellect to grind away on is "what am I? or "who am I?" Ultimately the path/no path to awakening is one of re-orientation, re-cognition of identity.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Emmy

Post by Emmy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:47 am

I have the same experience with you. I believe that I have a highly intelligent mind, a mind that can analyse things very well, but not necessarily makes me happy. Even with this mind, some years ago I still find ET's teachings something of great importance. Over some 3 or 4 years, I have been changing inside. Now, I analyse less and still find ET's teachings something significant to life, something to listen to deeply. For me now, I analyse less, and feel more deeply inside. Life is more simple and happier that way.

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:23 pm

Thank you, Sighclone.
Emmy, our experiences do sound similar. It’s hard to reign in mind all the time, but in those moments of being present, there is such comfort and peace. And even when mind (ego) is racing along, now its kind of fun to watch it at work, see what it’s up to, how it analyzes everything. It’s just easier for me not to take it too seriously now. Life, in general, seems to have a more magical quality, if I keep returning to presence. It’s so simple and funny really, all this stuff (my lifestory) that used to matter so much, does not matter too much anymore--it's fun to watch is unfold. Of course, I still get caught up in conditioned thinking everyday and I have to keep going back to presence. But I also have some insights everyday (in part, thanks to this board) which really help to solidify the process.

rachMiel

Post by rachMiel » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:05 pm

hi runstrails.
runstrails wrote:I have a long way to go to awaken.
beware of creating a self-fulfilling prophecy with this attitude. maybe your time to "pop" is right around the corner?
I know that an ‘intellectual insight’ is of the mind and hence best disregarded.
do you know this from irrefutable personal discovery ... or from having read/heard it somewhere (anywhere)? perhaps intellectual insight can be of deep importance to a specific person.
But I find a real comfort and peace even with an intellectual understanding of non-duality (consciousness and oneness), even though I cannot embody it all the time (especially at work). Just wondered whether anyone else had experienced this feeling of peace/stillness both due to an intellectual/conceptual understanding and due to conscious awareness?
it sometimes works this way for me. i, like you, am wary of intellectual insights ... though i have them constantly! ;-) at their best they can get something beyond the intellect in me primed for movement towards _________ (transformation, awakening, whatever word works for you). and that's a good thing.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...