How do drugs affect your presence?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
spikyface

Re: How do drugs affect your presence?

Post by spikyface » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:28 am

My experiences with drugs and presence:

Had one absolutely mind-blowing experience a while back, but nothing like it before or since

Like WW there was a point when drugs and alcohol didn't hold any appeal because my mood was actually worsened by them
Was listening to a lot of Tolle mp3s at the time whilst driving to and from work (so listening to Practicing the Power of Now about 1-2 hours a day), spending several hours a day reading about this kind of stuff on the internet and spending time daily on this forum. That probably had a lot to do with it

This lasted a few weeks until boredom crept in and the background static of perpetual discontent returned
Do not take anyone as an authority on what you are. Ultimately all the answers lie within

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:19 pm

You bring up an interesting point spikyface. Boredom is often an early side effect in the awakening experience. That's why it's important to take clarity on the road with you. When you begin to see everyday events and conditions in the context of universal awareness, they take on a whole new level of interest.

Consider, that everyone you know, and everyone you meet, at their core are you - are the One awareness, same as you. Not "your" awareness, and "their" awareness, but the One, universal, infinite awareness. The only real differences are our unique perspectives built upon our different experiences. Personalities develop within life conditions and distract these unique perspectives into identifications with beliefs and emotions. But from the perspective of clear awareness, - your/our essential nature - we can see beyond the identifications, and simply enjoy, love and have a natural compassion for those we meet. It's really a fun way to be in life.

WW

Ender

Post by Ender » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:29 pm

For me drugs have helped in some ways... but you have to be very careful not to "fall below thinking" and get stuck in the experience. My first experience with mushrooms ripped my ego and identities to shreds for a couple hours and really made me question how I viewed the world. The experience seemed more real than "normal" life, like a filter had been pulled away from my brain and I was able to experience life directly. The experience wasn't even enjoyable, just very intense, scary and confusing... and I think maybe my awareness opened up for a short time to deal with it, and then it snapped shut again... but I remembered it very clearly. I tried shrooms a couple more times over the following years and never had the same realization, and I became a bit obsessed about trying to find "it" whatever it was. "True reality" is probably the best way to explain what I thought I was looking for.

I researched different drugs, altered states of consciousness, hypnosis, meditation, social dynamics, physics, neuroscience, lucid dreaming and religions trying to figure out what the heck I had experienced. The original experience seemed to be on a much deeper level than just the effects of the drugs, but I never found it again because I was looking in the wrong place... outside of myself and within the experience of the drugs. I did feel like I got glimpses a few times though, so I knew it was still there.

During all this research (probably 6 years) I kept coming back Zen Buddhism and meditation because it just seemed to resonate with what I was looking for. Then I read Power of Now and it felt like all the pieces finally came together and I had found the answer, or at least the road leading towards it. For about a week everything seemed extremely clear and I was able to find and sustain my "glimpses" quite often, although it has faded now. I think right now I'm in what Adya calls the "I got it, I lost it" phase. My interest in drugs and altered states of consciousness is just going away... I know there isn't anything to find there now. I've never had a spiritual teacher and I think drugs helped me to find my way, but it was not a very clean or efficient way to get there (and also dangerous). More like bulldozing my way through the ego forest and getting lost in the process... but at least it got me searching in the first place.
"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough." - Einstein

forgotaboutbre

Post by forgotaboutbre » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:54 pm

"True reality" is probably the best way to explain what I thought I was looking for.
I think that your ego was ripped to shreds because the shrooms introduced you to a dreamlike state unlike the typical dreamlike state that the ego resides in. In the end your mind thought that what you had experienced was the "true reality" and then you started chasing delusion, lost in the new shrooms experience. However, this new experience wasn't "true reality" is was just unfamiliar delusion, novel experience. I think that drugs are a pathway to awakening in as much as they can contribute to letting go of rigid mental structures by showing new perspectives of experience. However, if you get too lost in novel perspective you fall under the hypnosis of form consciousness again which is usually manifested as some sort of seeking behavior. Thoughts?

Ender

Post by Ender » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:36 pm

Hi forgotaboutbre,

That sounds exactly like what happened... you explained it better that I was able to :) One thought to add... I think when I experienced the new dreamlike state it enabled me to compare that to the typical ego dreamlike state, and by doing so I realized on some deep level that neither were true. Isn't that which was able to compare them actually my own awareness? It's like Tolle's "I can't live with myself" realization, on a smaller scale maybe. I certainly didn't realize this at the time and thought it was all due to the drug, and that is also what misled me for so long. I definitely had strong seeking behavior for a few years.
"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough." - Einstein

forgotaboutbre

Post by forgotaboutbre » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:22 am

I think when the sober self looks at the high self he sees the high self to be false, and when the high self thinks of the sober self he sees the sober self to be false. The reality of course is that all perceptions of self are false. Let go of that which is false, which is the clinging to form experience for meaning. :)

Ron00

Post by Ron00 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:12 pm

Hangover is depending on how much you consumed alcohol. If you consumed alcohol much then you must experience a hangover. I think preventing the hangover is better than curing the hangover. Detoxicated is a natural hangover supplement that can help you to prevent the hangover.

Dcdc

Post by Dcdc » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:38 pm

Here's my experience:

I don't drink, but I have being using marijuana (almost everyday) for 10 years.

I don't have much to say; I think that I can be present while I'm high and can be presente while I'm not, but I think that it is a little bit easier to be present while I'm not. So, it's interesting to practice while I'm high, because it's like a gym's weight, hehehehe.