Oh Eckhart what is it that you truly teach?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
.Eternal

Oh Eckhart what is it that you truly teach?

Post by .Eternal » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:55 am

I have a question, is Eckhart talking about how to be present to manifest our desires. Our is he just simply talking about how presence is enough in life and thats it?

Shaz

Post by Shaz » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:49 am

Being Present IS manifesting our TRUE desires. When we learn to dwell in Presence, whatever is needed (not neccesarily material) to experience TRUE joy must be realized in our lives. Being present and attaining TRUE joy are one and the same. There can be nothing greater than to experience who and what I truly am. With this in mind - yes, one could say that we learn to become present "just to be present". :)

heidi

Post by heidi » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:01 pm

I think moreso he's talking about how to alleviate suffering through acceptance and presence.

And when suffering is gone, manifestation is abundant. :)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

mccpcorn

Post by mccpcorn » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:26 pm

I no longer care if I get fired. Is this a good thing? ^^;;

Jada

Re: Oh Eckhart what is it that you truly teach?

Post by Jada » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:40 pm

.Eternal wrote:I have a question, is Eckhart talking about how to be present to manifest our desires. Our is he just simply talking about how presence is enough in life and thats it?
Being in order to "get" something is an ego-based perspective and preoccupation. To desire something implies a lack. Being is wholeness and fulfillment and lacks nothing.

If you approach becoming Present from a place of trying to get something out of it you will miss it entirely.
"I am a hole in a flute that the Christ's breath moves through. Listen to the music."

.Eternal

Post by .Eternal » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:56 am

miss what?

Shaz

Post by Shaz » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:34 am

mccpcorn

To not care if you get fired because you are ACCEPTING what is, sounds like you are dwelling in the NOW - you are PRESENT. While resting in PRESENCE, the INFINITE INTELLEGENCE brings about whatever is neccesary to work things out for you. The key is to ACCEPT and return to the NOW as often as possible, dwelling there for as long as possible. The NOW reveals to us that we can never truley be without, because as Infinite Spirit, we are All That Is!!!

.Eternal

Post by .Eternal » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:43 am

Jada wrote:
.Eternal wrote:I have a question, is Eckhart talking about how to be present to manifest our desires. Our is he just simply talking about how presence is enough in life and thats it?
Being in order to "get" something is an ego-based perspective and preoccupation. To desire something implies a lack. Being is wholeness and fulfillment and lacks nothing.

If you approach becoming Present from a place of trying to get something out of it you will miss it entirely.
Well I could act that I feel that I already "have it" wouldn't that be okay?

Jada

Post by Jada » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:42 pm

.Eternal wrote:

Well I could act that I feel that I already "have it" wouldn't that be okay?
It's all OK... the point is to simply notice this. Just notice what the mind is doing... notice the thoughts that say I want this or I want that. Notice the mind saying... maybe I can act that I feel it.. manufacture a feeling.... in order to bring about what I want. Notice the mind, trying to come into the backdoor... and in a roundabout way trying to convince you that you're lacking right NOW. Who is lacking right now? It says you are. Notice the mind telling you that you are the one that is lacking. The mind wants you to think that the mind and you are one and the same. But when you observe the mind, you are instantly aware... that there is something outside the mind that is ABLE to watch it. Because when you are within it, the mind becomes all there is. Yet when you are watching it, there's YOU watching IT. And IT (mind) is then seen as not YOU. Sure, it may occur within or inside your awareness... but it is not ENTIRELY YOU.

So go ahead and experience whatever... feel whatever... think whatever... The thoughts, feelings, experiences... they will happen. Don't take them so seriously. They are neither good nor bad, ultimately. They are part of the dualistic world. Yet as you notice this and allow your awareness to shift to that realm OUTSIDE of the dualistic world of good, bad, thoughts, feelings, experiences, etc. you have lost complete identification with this temporal state.

Thoughts, feelings, experiences... they are like puffy little clouds, floating by. Here they come... and here they go. Some clouds are white... some are dark and stormy... some are filled with moisture.... some are little whisps. They all pass sooner or later. And here you remain, the space in which it all happens.

:D
"I am a hole in a flute that the Christ's breath moves through. Listen to the music."

.Eternal

Post by .Eternal » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:32 pm

Thank you so much, it makes so much sense now.

weichen

Post by weichen » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:58 pm

WOW, great topics to bring up, Eternal! This is something on my mind that I couldn't phrase it!!!

Great response! ET forum collective consciousness!

Ben

Post by Ben » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:59 am

Interesting question! When I read the PON, the question that filled my mind was; Is it wrong to want something? Is it wrong to plan ahead? Or should I only focus on the present and be content with that? My conclusion is not to deal with it on a conscious level. If I want something, I can indulge. Only if I experience guilt or any other feeling of dissatisfaction or unhappiness, I will examine that feeling and try to get to a state of awareness. For the rest I just try to enjoy the moment. :)

Shaz

Post by Shaz » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:07 am

Wanting things and planning ahead are fine (per ET), as long as we are not attatched to the outcome...
...everything is everything, and nothing's nothing...

weichen

Do we need to have space around form at all time ?

Post by weichen » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:30 pm

shaz wrote:Wanting things and planning ahead are fine (per ET), as long as we are not attatched to the outcome...
not attached means having space around that outcome (be the field where that plan, that future goal takes place).

Do we need to have space around form at all time ?
Ben wrote:If I want something, I can indulge
indulge means having no space around.
a. If I want to do mountain climbing at this moment, I can indulge.
I think if you are mountain climbing now, you better indulge, You don't want to be the observer now, otherwise you may slip and fall and get yourself killed. But when you take a break during mountain climbing, you better have some space around "continuing to mountain climb", so choices such as returning home can arise and be examined.

b. If I want to work on a plan to write a book (or writing a book) at this moment. I can indulge.
I think you might also consider tweaking it a little. I can alternate between the state of indulge and state of peace (do nothing). ET call this oscilating between thinking and stillness. Long duration of uninterrupted indulgement (having no space around what you are doing, thinking) is often counter productive, even if you are having fun.

enlighten

Post by enlighten » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:24 am

cool and simple answer jada :) nice