How'd Tolle find out about inner body? Original sources?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
peleke4

How'd Tolle find out about inner body? Original sources?

Post by peleke4 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:05 pm

Out of curiosity, I've looked into many resources from decades ago that Tolle checked out. Tolle says that his teachings are a continuation of Krishnamurti and Maharshi. I'm very curious how Tolle came across his ideas about the inner body. Does anyone happen to know? Thanks!

Ananda

Re: How'd Tolle find out about inner body? Original sources?

Post by Ananda » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:07 pm

'Inner Body' seems to be more of a teaching device to help render thinking quiet. Maharshi talks about the sheaths, or coverings, over the Self, which I suppose could be described as being subtle 'bodies' but the aim is not to cling to or even associate with them, but instead to discriminate between them and the Self, which is completely bodiless.

ceekaye

Post by ceekaye » Wed May 05, 2010 7:46 pm

Hi. If i may contribute a little information on the subject? As derived from ancient Eastern texts and esoteric study, man is a seven-fold being. (different religions refer to them using various words). Eckhart has made mention of Atma (Atman) which is [quite possibly] reference to the Atma-Buddhi, the immortal or spirit soul.

Listed here are each, from spirit to matter (Sanskrit and then English translation)
Atman - Spirit of the absolute (source)
Atma-Buddhi - immortal or spirit soul
Manas - Intellect or mind
Kama Rupa - Passions and desires (mortal soul)
Linga Sharia - the astral or energy body (the sheath or subtle body)
Prana - the life force
Rupa - physical body

Notice that the sheath, the astral body, lies right in the middle between the poles of spirit and matter: Hence it's name the subtle body (just on the edge of the material plane and the spiritual plane). It serves its purpose but is not immortal.

Eckhart has most likely intuited his information (being conscious and in touch with the source), and as Ananda suggests, probably uses the term 'Inner Body' as a teaching device.

Hope you find this a little helpful. (or at least a little interesting)
:)

James

Post by James » Thu May 06, 2010 2:39 pm

I think Eckhart uses the term "inner body" to describe our experiencing and feeling nature of life. His Gateways To Now recording emphasizes that as one of the three portals. Knowing truth in the head is only a small part of awakening, like the tip of the iceberg, the larger portion is the experience from the neck down. But It's important not to identify with it as a new concept or point of fixation. Adyashanti's True Meditation will also put one in touch with the feeling nature of Being, allowing everything to arise and disappear in spacious awareness. There are references to feeling nature of experience, intuition, love, life force, heart wisdom etc. in other ancient traditions, such as Taoism, Advaita, Buddhism and Yoga; they may be interesting reading with helpful pointers, but one needn't rely on outside sources to authenticate their own direct experience of truth.
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

rememberrule6

Post by rememberrule6 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:54 am

I'm assuming he found out about it the same way I did. He awakened and could feel it, but you'd have to ask him. It isn't some abstract concept it is an actual feeling, to be felt directly, not thought about and dissected.The inner body can be felt directly as an energy field. It's a slight tingling sensation, almost like when your foot is asleep only more subtle and more pleasant. The original source I assume is himself. I can feel it all the time, anytime I want, since my awakening last year. That's how I know when I'm "lost in the world." I can't feel the energy in my hands and feet. I have to keep reminding myself to feel my hands and feet while engaged in the world, and I "anchor" myself in the Now. I actually can't get lost in thought as long as I keep some of my attention on that slight tingling sensation.

peleke4

Post by peleke4 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:14 am

rememberrule6 wrote:I'm assuming he found out about it the same way I did. He awakened and could feel it, but you'd have to ask him. It isn't some abstract concept it is an actual feeling, to be felt directly, not thought about and dissected.The inner body can be felt directly as an energy field. It's a slight tingling sensation, almost like when your foot is asleep only more subtle and more pleasant. The original source I assume is himself. I can feel it all the time, anytime I want, since my awakening last year. That's how I know when I'm "lost in the world." I can't feel the energy in my hands and feet. I have to keep reminding myself to feel my hands and feet while engaged in the world, and I "anchor" myself in the Now. I actually can't get lost in thought as long as I keep some of my attention on that slight tingling sensation.
When you are in this clear space, does it feel as if you've transcended body?

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:06 pm

peleke4 -

This is a good question. You might actually approach him through his website -- someone might reply.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

rememberrule6

Post by rememberrule6 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:16 pm

When you are in this clear space, does it feel as if you've transcended body?
No not at all. It's almost as if I'm inhabiting it fully. It's hard to describe. It's as if I'm going deeper into it, but not beyond it. To be honest it feels incredibly "normal." The more I feel and go into it, the more "normal" or "natural" I feel. Like this is what I'm suppose to feel or how I'm suppose to feel. Like ET said in ANE not trying to be anyone special, to stand out, or anything like that. It's the "normal" feeling I was searching for my whole life. Like I've completely surrendered to life. It feels very alive, alert, and at the same time very secure and peaceful. I remember the same feeling in my hands when I was very young, like 5 or 6. I use to stay awake at night and feel the sensations in my hands. At some point I lost that feeling, but upon awakening I can now feel it everywhere in my body if I meditate. I can feel it in my hands and feet while engaging in everyday activities, while I'm writing this in fact. However, it does take concentration, it is easy to lose the feeling when engaged in conversations, especially when I'm doing the talking. It's become my main purpose in life. I realize when I can stay in that state, I'm fulfilling my purpose on the planet, regardless of what's "happening" while I'm in that state.

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:01 pm

Eckhart's teaching is very similar to Barry Long's. Barry also acknowledged the influence of J Krishnamurti and attributed the practicality of his teaching to him. You probably know that Eckhart attended Barry's meetings in the 80's for several years and is on record as saying he 'loved Barry's teaching' but Eckhart doesn't make too much of that influence even though his teaching is virtually identical in phraseology and distinctions. Eckhart does have a very different 'bedside manner' or delivery, which I suppose reflects the different character and perhaps the Ramana Maharshi influence.

Now in Barry's teaching there is the distinction between self and being and Barry used the term 'inner space' to awaken the awareness to the location of one's subjective experience of self and being. In Eckhart's teaching there is pain body and being and the 'location' of these the inner body. In Barry's teaching directing the attention onto the sensation is the fundamental meditative practice which leads to the state of being, much the same in Eckhart's.

It seems both their teachings are from the same 'vein' of truth.
I have been inspired by Barry Long's teaching and I write this so as to acknowledge my source of inspiration. It is a wonderful help, and it is a wonderful gift.

tikey

Post by tikey » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:01 pm

Well propably when his mind got silent the feeling of "inner body" came to him naturally. Not a big deal, whatsoever lol.
Im just a cloudless sky :)

arel

Post by arel » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:09 am

Being aware of my body I know it is not me. Even logically, conceptually speaking, if I am aware of something then I am the observer of the observed. Identification with the body is our predominant attitude as we go about our day. See if that is true for you. When I feel my inner body though I am not body. Then I start looking, what am I then? So it is simple, and ET likely got it from his own experience.
What I say is only my viewpoint.

James

Post by James » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:22 pm

I would be careful not to make feeling a primary point of fixation, it is helpful as a portal early on because we are usually lopsided, spending most of the time lost in thought.

I would suggest from the welcoming presence that allows everything to come and go, give the sensations of the body equal footing with the thoughts and any perceptions of the world. One approach refers to this as the mind, body and world; or in other words thinking, feeling and perceiving., give all three equality in your experience, don't exclude or over emphasize any. This effortless allowing is a meditative attitude that can be done anytime. Initially you may seem to be the indifferent observer of these arisings. Then later you may glimpse that they actually are appearing within you. And still later it may become clearer that you are only knowing yourself as it takes the shape of these appearances.
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."