The trappings of the mind

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Orius

The trappings of the mind

Post by Orius » Fri May 07, 2010 3:00 pm

Greetings,
I would like to start out by thanking many of the boards posters for helping me to attain the truth of reality, at least for moments in time.
I am having problems becoming fully aware in the moment. It seems I can hold it for maybe 30 seconds in true beautiful moments. The mind always seems to find a way to get me sucked back into its prison of thinking about the past, future, or different alternate realities. Does it just take time focusing on the truth for it to become longer and longer? Will it eventually be nothing but true reality? Also sometimes when I am in the states of awareness there is music playing in my head. Should i work to eradicate that? Is it true awareness iff my mind is still working like that? Please feel free to critic any of my wording and or ideas so I can get a better grasp of this. Thank you.

Billy

eputkonen

Re: The trappings of the mind

Post by eputkonen » Fri May 07, 2010 4:32 pm

Too many concepts here already...just let it all go and be with what is as it is for as long as it is. Letting what comes come, letting what goes go, and being with what is. Letting go...not doing something else...not focusing...not concentrating. This is choiceless...effortless...just be. Don't pay any mind to the mind. What is right now? Experience what is fully...perhaps curious to see how much there is to be aware...what do you feel right now? Being aware and present is more kinesthetic than mental...feel, not mentally observe.

That is being fully are in the moment. Simple.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
https://www.youtube.com/EricPutkonen

Tara

Post by Tara » Fri May 07, 2010 6:34 pm

First thing that popped into my mind when I read your post was the Mastercard commercial...priceless only it might be:
concepts=just stories
believing your stories=suffering
letting go=effortless

your words to feel, not mentally observe was an aha moment...I knew that is the way of it, but I realize now I have been mentally observing, searching for what I would find, waiting on the feeling, when all I need to do is just BE:)
eputkonen wrote: Being aware and present is more kinesthetic than mental...feel, not mentally observe.
That is being fully are in the moment. Simple.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sat May 08, 2010 7:42 am

Typical splendid summary by eputkonen - thanks thanks thanks.

Most people need to take some time. Mental grasping has been the backbone of your identity -- hard to toss out the whole baby, overnight. Regarding music -- just let it be, do not fight it. My experience has been that music enters my mind throughout the day from time to time. I think it tends to act like a 'waking dream', providing commentary for the moment...

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Orius

Post by Orius » Sat May 08, 2010 1:26 pm

Thank you Eric for reminding me to just be and go with the flow. I am reminded of the teachings of Jed McKenna. "On the journey of awakening one will feel embarassed by his/her beliefs that they held yesterday." Its a little out of quote but that is the general idea. Perhaps keeping a journal of what I think awareness is everyday so I can laugh the next day by what I have learned. Have a great weekend everyone.

Billy

Kutso

Post by Kutso » Sat May 08, 2010 10:46 pm

Who is seeking what here? Who is the one seeking to become fully aware? Is there really anything but awareness? What are you aware of now? Is there anything that you are not aware of right now?
Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that.