Making it Happen

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Making it Happen

Postby barbarasher » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:11 am

Maybe the title of this post is an antithesis to the entire "Power of Now" thing, but…

I find great meaning, identification, comfort and hope in the "Power of Now" material. I have read all three books, and have re-read two of them. I have listened to the two sets of CDs a few times (while I drive to clients).

It is so so true: the mind torture, the loosing the moment, the not appreciating the beauty of the moment, the anxiety for more, more and the next moment which will bring me that more.

But all that next moment brings is a desire for more "more" or another future goal to achieve, or another past things to worry about.

This study and attention that I am giving this material comes for a deep need. I enjoy studying it.

But, how do I make I happen? How do I adopt it, internalize it and really reap the benefits. It is happening, but slowly.

My friend says that anything you do 70 times becomes a habit. And it may need to be forced at the beginning.

When I say habit, I mean catching my mind doing any of the following: not paying attention to now, analyzing past garbage, worry about futures that probably won't happen or do not need any thought (except to torture me or at least take the bloom of this present moment).

I realize that the answer may be, just relax, just go with it.

But can I still ask? How do I make it happen?

Barbara Sher
barbarasher

Postby summer » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:25 am

Dear Barbara,
I love the integrity of your question.
How do I make it happen? Is such an honest response when we become aware of even an inkling of the trap we have unconsciously built for ourselves.

Be ready for your whole world to fall apart.

And stay true to the part of you that wants to wake up. It takes time to disidentify with everything that the ego calls ME

Yet the call for freedom
brings us to this moment
where sacred love abides
summer

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:33 am

Hi Barbara,

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed reading your post... I could almost feel the depth of your intent. I share this intent with you. With passion, i have studied various teachings for over 30 years. I guess all serious students share in this.
I believe your own answer is a very good one... "just relax, just go with it."
Eckhart expresses very what I believe is the *key* to spiritual growth. I have spent a lot of my life searching for something... deeper..., and have most recently realized the search is over. I think I had a concept of what enlightenment was... lol...
I've now come to a place of acceptance. Yes..., for me it really is this simple. The only thing standing between me and true joy, is non-acceptance. Of course, our karma has to catch up with us... so we do continue to perceive troubling situations, but as we begin to live in a continual state of non-resistance/acceptance, and recognize it throughout the day... lol... the musles between my eye brows become relaxed..., and the "crooked places become straight". Watching life in motion is very fulfilling even though we lose the extreme highs and lows.
To your question, I would ask.... what do you expect to happen? Concider this..., maybe, our expectations are in themselves a block to the very presence presenting itself this very moment.
Blessings,
Jim

Postby erict » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:25 pm

In my experience the key to any conscious change is awareness. Everything starts there. After first reading The Power of Now I became increasingly aware of how I am creating unnecessary suffering for myself. But since my life at the time was going relatively well, and there wasn't too much suffering, I pretty much went on with my life just as it was before.

The second major factor seems to be motivation. I believe that this is exactly why suffering is such an effective catalyst/impetus of spiritual growth. So long as things are relatively well, (most) people have very little motivation to make any major inner changes. But when things go wrong, all the dysfunctional patterns within, all the things that stand between us and inner peace become so amplified and intolerable that we are forced to face them and deal with them. Yesterday's worries about some truly inconsequential matters turn into an unbearable dread of something in the future. So in a way, most growth is forced upon us by life itself. But if we find a way to motivate ourselves to change then suffering isn't necessary at all.

It seems to me that from Eckhart's various materials you have created a certain ideal of being, and now you are trying to reach it. But may I suggest something? I don't believe that what eckhart describes is for many people to achieve at this time, not to the fullest degree in any case. In our evolution there are many stages, and what Eckhart Tolle talks about is perhaps the highest possible stage that people in physical form can reach. Certain few go through a spontanous awakening, but for the most of us it is a slow process. I believe that we have many things to go through before we will reach the kind of state of being that Eckhart Tolle has found himself in one morning. I think you should just work with whatever comes up. Whatever causes you discomfort or suffering or seems to keep you from the state of inner peace.
I am not sure if I am explaining myself very well... I guess what I am trying to say is that you shouldn't consider all that Tolle talks about as a certain ideal for you to reach, but rather take from it whatever applies to you at your current stage of spiritual growth. Just be aware of what is going on inside of you at each moment, and consciously choose rather than live by default...
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby heidi » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:06 pm

Well put, Eric.
Consciousness does bring about choice. So one can choose to strive for perfection or choose to be happy with what is.

Another divine paradox of this enlightenment business is that accepting your state as it is right now however "unenlightened" is enlightenment itself. :)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:13 am

erict wrote:
I don't believe that what eckhart describes is for many people to achieve at this time, not to the fullest degree in any case. In our evolution there are many stages, and what Eckhart Tolle talks about is perhaps the highest possible stage that people in physical form can reach.

Hi Erict,

I think your right. Talking about high stages of consiousness is one thing, living it is another. I once knew a swami (he was 63yrs old at the time) that witnessed a purse being snatched from a woman just before he was to give a talk (about fear)... lol.. funniest thing... he jumped up and started chasing the theif with both arms waving over his head.. lol
Of course, I know little about Eckhart's personal life (if he is married & such), but I think most of us who live in the civilized world... dealing with relationships of all types, must be able to make our spiritual practice practical in our daily life.
Also, I wanted to express my appreciation for your site here. You did good :) I like the way you have catagorized the different areas for disscussion.
Anyway, I really just wanted to show my graditude for you efforts.
Blessings,
Jim

Postby Barbara » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:46 am

Yes, I also commend the creators of for this site: Erict and Heidi, right? It is nice to find a place to communicate with people dealing with the same issues, and especially nice to be able to ask questions, get answers and interact. The site seems well organized and very functional.

Summer

You said:
"we become aware of even an inkling of the trap we have unconsciously built for ourselves.
Be ready for your whole world to fall apart."

Yes, "the trap I build my mind".

I have made a habit out of handling problems: those that life threw at me, those I invented, those that I sought out. I have achieved everything a person could want. I don't have serious problems except those that I create in my mind.

What do you mean by the second sentence (the "falling apart" one)?

Jim

What does "lol" stand for?

30 years wow! I just started 1.5 years ago. Can you tell us about it?

"non-resistance/acceptance" : Yes, the is the key, relinquishing the internal "NO" to the present moment, no internally criticizing it or thinking of what would, could, should be different about it.

When you say
" our expectations are in themselves a block to the very presence presenting itself this very moment"
Do you mean something like what is happening now? If not, please help me understand.

I thought it would be a sunny day and had plans. I am a bit disappointed because it is Saturday and raining and I don't like rain and have to think of other things to do to keep my younger daughter happy and occupied. I prefer sun and being outside, but if there is no choice, I personally don't mind reading and watching movies.

Erict

awareness
You said:
"increasingly aware of how I am creating unnecessary suffering for myself"

YES, me too. I really have everything I could want. My friend says that I have built an identity (an egoic "Me") out of this problem solving, dragon slaying, victim/hero persona. So I have achieved it all, enough! Now it is time to live! Of course I still have to/want to work, take care of/be with my family and stuff.

But I want to feel more of the LIFE in living and less of the mind made-up pain, worry and repetitive thoughts.

Motivation
Oh, I've got that. Big time! Actually I always have had that in anything to which I turn my attention. It is a large part of my success. But, I turn my attention to this because of the Awareness that you mentioned.

You said
"(most) people have very little motivation to make any major inner changes…But when things go wrong…"

In my case, it happened when things final went right or as right as they can be in the real world. The awakening in me, is in the realization that I should make friends with what "is" and the "now", and not expect "IT" to come when this or that happens or I do this or that, or when someone else changes to this or that.

A variety of goals were met, and I realized that each goal was not "IT", and the next thing finally achieved after so much suffering was also not "IT" either. Success all around or as reasonable as can be had when dealing with other humans. Now what? I need to stop with, the thoughts of "If I could only achieve this little adjustment or that little adjustment in my self, husband, mother, employees or whoever, then it would be "IT". Yes, I am still striving for it, but that is not "IT". "IT" is inside me. I am not there yet though.

Heidi, Jim, EricT: You brought up the concept of an "ideal of being". I don't know, I am not ready to give the concept up. I like the idea of an ideal. I have run out of gas for this post.

I look forward to your advice, responses and sharing.
Barbara

Postby summer » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:38 am

Hi Barbara,
you asked me what I meant by "Be ready for your whole world to fall apart?"
To be honest, those words just popped out as I was answering your post.
And I have been wondering myself what I meant :) But I'll try to answer your question.

As you get more and more of a sense of presence and the fullfillment that comes with that state, your values shift a lot.
You see the restlessness of the mind and the emptiness in all of its promises for future fullfillment. Which always require more something
:wink:
More money, a better job, more time, a more loving partner, or whatever.
And you realize that a lot of your motivation has been in fulfilling these hopes for a better future.

When this inner fulfillment is found to be your very essence, then a lot of your previous interests and activities lose their glamor. You still engage in life. But you no longer expect other people, or a perfect life situation to fulfill you.

So, I think that what I meant is that when your values shift so dramatically, many things that used to seem important in your life, just fall away.
summer

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:33 am

30 years wow! I just started 1.5 years ago. Can you tell us about it?

Anything i would say would only feed your imagination... thus, luring you from this very moment.

When you say
" our expectations are in themselves a block to the very presence presenting itself this very moment"
Do you mean something like what is happening now? If not, please help me understand.

As i see it, expectation is a form of desire. And desire is a sneaky tool of the ego. In truth, life is expressing Itself perfectly Allways.
To desire change of any kind, is to be saying *no* to what is. The same life force that is causing the hairs in my head to grow (or the lack there of), causes the the sap to drop to the roots, the animals fur to thicken, and causes the cells in the body to heal or die... is beyond my control. "Not my will, but Thy Will be done".
I'm sure you already know this, but I'm moved to express it... lol (laugh out loud)
All is well,
Jim

Return to Questions