Am i in need of a break from this?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
livingdeeply

Am i in need of a break from this?

Post by livingdeeply » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:14 am

Hi and thank you for reading

I have been listening to Eckhart Tolle, Adyashanti, Byron Katie and various others for 6-7months now.

I have focused on Audio, until i began to read a bit of ACIM.

I cannot seem to keep focused when reading, but i seem to take it in more when i do. I love audio but do resonate with reading much more it seems, but still do not read often.

I have been listening to 'the end of your world' recently and 'stillness speaks'.

I could not stop listening and reading if i wanted to, i am so pulled towards it, however, i am tired and drained and every single day since my initial awakening i have listned to audio or read. It is never not on my mind, kind of like an obsession in a way.

Do 'i' need a break from this? For one day even, the words may resonate deeper if i leave them for a while and come back?

I cant seem to pull myself away though.

I can't quite see the light at the end of the tunnel yet, I get a new vibe and feeling every day and often find i go three steps forward two steps back etc.

I will be going on a two month journey around the world in the middle of july, and i have no idea where to go, i can choose to go wherever i want but would not know where to start.

I am from Australia :)
Any pointers?
Love to all

Kutso

Re: Am i in need of a break from this?

Post by Kutso » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:22 am

You do not have to do anything. However, is it not nice to experience our beautiful world?
Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that.

livingdeeply

Post by livingdeeply » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:41 pm

Yes indeedy!

Where to go? I am sensative to energies at the moment and do not want to venture to a very 'dense' area LOL

livingdeeply

Post by livingdeeply » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:43 pm

So.. i should continue to be tired, obsessive about this?

Kutso

Post by Kutso » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:09 pm

Who is being obsessive? The mind, right?

Drop every thought about this, and venture out in the world. Visit all the places you've always wanted to see. Just remember that wherever you go, there you are. ;)
Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that.

Ananda

Post by Ananda » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:31 pm

So.. i should continue to be tired, obsessive about this?
If you feel tired out of some obligation to stick to 'this' then it is not for you, atleast not yet. It will be, but only when you start to get an intense feeling of the unsatisfactoriness of ego centric living. If you are tired because you are simply exhausted through intense spiritual practice of self enquiry then take a break and relax for a while, you will naturally be drawn back by the pull of the Self. A sign of spiritual maturity (amongst others) is a very deep yearning for the truth, for Self knowledge, if this is what you feel then you have no cause for concern because knowledge is imminent for you provided you are earnest. If 'this' is consuming you, and yet you desire to be devoured even more, then this is your calling back 'home'.

Marcel Franke

Post by Marcel Franke » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:34 pm

You are here, no ?
You are here faultlessly.
You are a master in being here.
Everything is in it.
The entire world, every country.
In it is also tiredness.
Livingdeeply is in you. Kutso is. Ananda is. Marcel is.
Everything is just in you right now.
Nothing is out there.
Have you ever experienced anything outside of your own experiencing ?
You are here, and there is nothing you have to do for it.
No effort at all is needed for being here.
You are here now, what do you need for that ?
It is just here.
Do you need an Eckadyakatie for being here right now ?
Do you deed any guru to be here ?
Are you not already perfectly here ?
Everything is here, and there is awareness off it.
Already.
Can you loose it ?

This awareness, what is it ?
If you like to be obsessive, give your obsession to that.
Find out.
---ooOoo---

peleke4

Post by peleke4 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:36 pm

"Observe in yourself this mental tendency to seek more. It is a characteristic of the human mind to always want more. The mind makes it seem that it is not always quite enough. This could also manifest in the seeker as needing to read more books... See when it is time to stop... Look more deeply at what is already here, not analytically..."

This is a quote from one of Tolle's audio programs.

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:51 am

Take it all in Living Deeply as much as you can, the thing to see is "Am I enjoying this?" if the answer is yes then keep reading and listening.

I was like that once. I found a Master, Barry Long and I got everything he had and I went to see him and lived his teaching on my own. Above all that is the thing that is worthwhile, living what you have heard and know to be the truth for you. When we find something of value we integrate it into our life, by living it.

I am a new Australian myself and I don't think you will find anywhere as nice as home. What I got from traveling was that influence of the different psyches of the countries I visited. You kind of enter that national psyche and each one is different, but people are pretty much the same.

Travel tip-- Go to southern England and see some crop circles, and enjoy the romantic beauty of the countryside. Crop circles viewing is just fun and can be very interestingly energetic. However UK is expensive.
Asia is cheaper and the food is good too.

But remember that the best place is within.
I have been inspired by Barry Long's teaching and I write this so as to acknowledge my source of inspiration. It is a wonderful help, and it is a wonderful gift.

Kae

Post by Kae » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:22 am

As long as you feel that reading books is doing you good, informing you, helping you, do it.

You will feel it clearly when you've had enough and it's not the thing for you anymore. You won't have any yearning to read at all.

Wanna see a spectacular country? Come to Iceland!
I know, it's very far away, but worth it :wink:
Pura Visio, Pectus Apertum, Pax Interi

powerbowler

Post by powerbowler » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:41 pm

" I can't quite see the light at the end of the tunnel yet, I get a new vibe and feeling every day and often find i go three steps forward two steps back etc."
Still moving forward though, good luck and enjoy ALL your journeys.

livingdeeply

Post by livingdeeply » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:14 pm

Marcel Franke wrote:This awareness, what is it ?
If you like to be obsessive, give your obsession to that.
Find out.
Hi Marcel. I love what you have written here.
Ananda wrote:If 'this' is consuming you, and yet you desire to be devoured even more, then this is your calling back 'home'.
I may need a rest between reading and audio, leave a gap in order for the teachings to do their work. But your above sentence is how i feel.

Thank you all.

Does anyone know of any great monasteries around? I.e thailand, italy, england? I did read that eckhart did some intense practice at a monastery in thailand.

James

Post by James » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:28 pm

You can take a break from striving but you can't take a break from reality, it's who/what you are and what everything else is all the time. We can only pretend or imagine that is not the case. What is required is that the "controller" move aside.

One sage put it this way:

"Vigilance is for the person and requires effort... Effort actually takes us away from the truth... Understanding is for the truth lover and is effortless to maintain."

"When you are in love with the truth, you don't need to make any effort."

And:

"Although the sages appear or have appeared in the waking dream, their teachings point towards that which is real, that which is not in the dream, but rather that which dreams the dream. In as such their teaching is not futile, it takes us to the source, it points to the source. There is therefore advantage in following them. And of course they are good for those who are not asleep but who are (still) in the illusion that they are separate entities, that they are a separate consciousness."
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

livingdeeply

Post by livingdeeply » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:40 am

I have a very strong desire for the truth that I feel I am yet to experience directly.. It's still on the conceptual level for me. Eckhart has spoken about Einstein and today I have done some reading and reading quotes surrounding Einstein work. As I have been told, knowing more will not help me. But I am interested in learning about time theory and string theory and other universal laws. I have a strong sense and pull to understand this information to assist in understanding eckhart and others. Anyone can recommend anything along these lines? It may just be adding information that I don't need to know.. But I feel I need to experience that for myself to know it

James

Post by James » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:36 am

All of that is fine. In terms of awakening the mind is a useful tool. You can use the mind to go beyond the mind. Whether your study is fruitful and harmonious will depend on the context. Is it deepening your understanding of truth and pointing to the essence of life? Or is it merely accumulating information, solidifying new mind structures and viewpoints... Is there a hidden agenda to achieve or attain in a personal way? If it is the latter that's OK too, you will come to see that eventually, and even that is part of the unfolding; we usually come to recognize truth by first experiencing it's opposite.

For most it is a combination of motivations, impersonal and personal; the impersonal desire for truth can easily get hijacked and distorted.

I would suggest that you do what you truly enjoy and love, that is how life moves through you.
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."