Am i in need of a break from this?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
livingdeeply

Re: Am i in need of a break from this?

Post by livingdeeply » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:19 am

James wrote:All of that is fine. In terms of awakening the mind is a useful tool. You can use the mind to go beyond the mind. Whether your study is fruitful and harmonious will depend on the context. Is it deepening your understanding of truth and pointing to the essence of life?.
this question is my motive.

Enjoying it, shows me that. I'd like to know any suggestions on reading material, however :)

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:22 am

livingdeeply -

What could possibly be wrong in taking a six-week break from all reading, meditating, thinking about any of this? If it's all true and very real and profound, then "it" will not go away regardless of any single thought in your mind. After all, "it" was here well before livingdeeply ever had a single thought about it. The mind gets tired, but the heart yearns for truth...so look to your heart, which is telling you to lighten up on yourself! Just let it all go and have some fun doing anything...even buying shoes.

Then, when you start in again, which you will do, drop everything else and read "How Long is Now?" by Tim Freke. He does not revalidate the ego, by the way, but he does acknowledge our "separate selves," phony as they may be from the perspective of Source.

Be well and enjoy. Richard Hawking struggles with an interesting question: "Why is there a universe?" I know one answer: it can be beautiful and fun. Stop grinding for awhile, take a big breath, exercise some and have a glass of wine. You have sure as hell earned it!!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

livingdeeply

Post by livingdeeply » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:10 am

Thanks Andy :p i may just go and buy some shoes today!

My heart is seeking the truth at an intense level at the moment and im not able to back off. I now feel the break will come when it is needed.

Like eckhart says, time and mind are inseperable. remove time from the mind.

The question i now pose is, how?

The conceptual talk has helped me tremedously thus far, science may help me answer the question i pose. i know the concepts, i understand it all just cant experience it.

livingdeeply

Post by livingdeeply » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:12 am

I have never successfuly meditated, i often fall alseep or close to.

kiki

Post by kiki » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:25 am

I have never successfuly meditated, i often fall alseep or close to.
What kind of meditation do you practice, and how do you go about your practice?
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

James

Post by James » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:45 am

Real meditation is not about success, achieving states or having glorious experiences, it is about being fully open to what is present. It sounds like you have concepts about what should happen or what you will experience someday, and are disregarding the experience that you are having now. (But it's not your fault, this is due to the mythology of awakening in our culture that continues to be perpetuated.) Meditation needn't be a formal practice, rather it can be an ongoing receptivity to life throughout the day and night; sitting, standing, moving about or even lying in bed. If you fall asleep that is good too, fall asleep knowingly. And awaken in this conscious knowingness in the morning. The more you can relax the better.

Instead of achieving something or having some special experience, can you recognize that the very experience this moment, no matter how mundane it is, confirms the presence of consciousness? Can you relax into that without running from the current situation or conditions, or running towards an imagined future?

What I am referring to is "radical simplicity". It's so simple and subtle that its usually overlooked.

Can you rest in that presence?... that "ease of being."

Give it a try... or better yet stop trying and see what is already here, even if it is only for a few seconds or less. Don't expect to keep that recognition constantly, or you will be disappointed... most will need frequent reminders.

If you can't stop efforting, then perhaps the seeker needs to seek more until it exhausts itself and collapses. And that's Ok too. Either way you end up with your Self... that which was there all along.
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:15 am

livingdeeply -

Sounds like not only have you really studied this stuff, but it might have become a mental obsession. Well, that's fine, but you have grasped enough to know that you ain't going to think your way to self-realization. Or worry yourself there. Oddly, all that prep work seems to be necessary...as Peter Fenner says, I paraphrase his paradox: "we could not have reached the state where we realize that all the work we did wasn't necessary unless we did it."

Kiki is asking you about meditation and I agree that some form is useful -- James always has good advice. Learn some technique which seems to resonate.

You might try watching the mousehole...sit quietly and wait for the next thought. (By the way, you are the radically simple pure consciousness which is both 'waiting' and observing and containing the 'next' thought. But you "knew" that, too.) As soon as you find yourself involved with a thought, release it and wait for the nexct one. The mind has a way of wanting to percolate these thoughts forever. But it doesn't have to. It's a big guard dog: http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... 738#p29738

Here's another exercise that was pretty stunning for me, the first time. How deeply can you really experience the present moment? Can you 'enter' it totally. I mean not one ten-millionth of a second ago, but right immediately Now. By the way, that is also who you are.

And for a distraction, go volunteer somewhere...get your mind off "yourself." (Big Love will follow you, by the way...)

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

livingdeeply

Post by livingdeeply » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:21 pm

kiki wrote:What kind of meditation do you practice, and how do you go about your practice?
Hi Kiki

Well, mainly when im in bed to be honest, ill be sitting on my bed, soemtimes have a candle lit, and sometimes guided by adyashanti, true meditation.

Thats basically it, i do love music though, deva premal type, but have not tried with music before.

livingdeeply

Post by livingdeeply » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:23 pm

Thanks for the advice James, I am tired all the time and my mind often says 'not now, ive got better things to do' laziness really..

livingdeeply

Post by livingdeeply » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:26 pm

Sighclone wrote:
"we could not have reached the state where we realize that all the work we did wasn't necessary unless we did it."
Ive been thinking that the last few days, ive realised it was necessary for me to realise it was not. Shows me that i must experience other things to realise they are not necessary in a way??
Sighclone wrote:You might try watching the mousehole...sit quietly and wait for the next thought. (By the way, you are the radically simple pure consciousness which is both 'waiting' and observing and containing the 'next' thought. But you "knew" that, too.) As soon as you find yourself involved with a thought, release it and wait for the nexct one. The mind has a way of wanting to percolate these thoughts forever
Ill try this. What will my next thought be? Ill try that.

When it arises, ill release it.

Ive come across a strange release technique for myself. It is an image in my mind of a slug thing going down a ladder or something. The slug in the thought and the ladder is the release. If i do this in my mind im able to release emotion or thought when i am serious about it.

livingdeeply

Post by livingdeeply » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:40 pm

who and what am i.

livingdeeply

Post by livingdeeply » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:46 pm

I just watched Tim Freke on you tube, his words spoke to something within me. It was still an image of what it may feel like, but a better understanding.?

James

Post by James » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:43 pm

Very good, keep returning to that which is already present, but to be sure we are not referring to an image of what you may have, it's your current experience that is completely permeated with consciousness; including your thoughts, images, perceptions, sensations, emotions, pains and pleasures... welcome them all, and welcome them off when they go, neither encourage nor resist any particular experience, not clinging to anything nor pushing any away; welcome life in its fullest.

The understanding and realization will deepen in time, usually for most it does not happen all at once; its gradual or a series of many small realizations or epiphanies, but which are always now not in the future. Vigilance is not needed, consciousness is already present, simply keep recognizing that, even your distracting thoughts are proof that consciousness already is, as a thought is nothing but consciousness in a temporary form. Reading and listening to truth is fine, if you are so inclined, it can point you to the essence of life, and deepen your understanding. But can you read or listen from that "ease of being" rather than from a state of agitated seeking? Then you may find that some of the words or pointers resonate or have more clarity for you, and there can be a resting in that.
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

livingdeeply

Post by livingdeeply » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:04 pm

James, you are amazing, i am going to save that passage. Thank you dearly for putting that for me in a different way.

Reading from the ease..

livingdeeply

Post by livingdeeply » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:15 am

As Eckhart says, remove time from the mind. Is it really as simple as that?