can we ever fully know....

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
runstrails

can we ever fully know....

Post by runstrails » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:43 am

Can the human form ever realize the fullest depths of consciousness/source/being?

Ralph says in another post
... in other words, there is no knower to know it... it is its own knowing. What you truly are, you can never know it.

Rest in not knowing. This is where your search will lead you to.
I'd love to hear some other opinions on this--especially from those that are further along the pathless path :)

This is not a goal for me. I'm just curious. For me, the awakening process continues to evolve, unfolding and ever deepening.

Thanks for considering!

Mouse

Re: can we ever fully know....

Post by Mouse » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:57 pm

In the abstract 'mind' there is the possibility of self arising. My self is something and I can observe it from a distance. Now distance is very important here because it gives distinction and subsequent knowing. So all information I absorb is knowing all thought is knowing, there is a distance, I can see what is going on. There is I that am observing and there is the observed or in other words subject and object. That is the usual condition of self, it is the condition of knowing, it is the condition of separation or distinction.

So I start to go still and abstract movement slows, I hold the sensation of my inner body as it appears every moment, and then merge with this sensation, consciously being it. In this state there is subject I or pure intelligence and the object is sensation or the life in me Now I have dived into sensation and not resurfaced, I am one with it. And yet pure intelligence knows what is going on. This resting in not knowing. And yet if I look carefully, rather than knowing I now have pure knowledge. And that pure knowledge is "This is good or right or true". That is knowledge it is not information. I am one with it beyond distinction and yet it is known. That is the start of the entry into the depthless psyche. There are reports of human forms having realised extraordinary knowledge of the psyche and spirit such as the Masters that have informed this earth. So yes it is possible to realise whatever I am it just requires death of I, of distinction, to enter the sensational doorway now.
I have been inspired by Barry Long's teaching and I write this so as to acknowledge my source of inspiration. It is a wonderful help, and it is a wonderful gift.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:33 pm

Can the human form ever realize the fullest depths of consciousness/source/being?
Not like it can realize the taste of grapefruit. Since "the fullest depths" are beyond human form, the best the human form can do (with its big cognitive engine, the mind) is recognize pointers to something larger than itself. "What you are looking for is what is looking." (Francis of Assisi). Your question is similar to "Can the ego get enlightened?"

When you self-realize, you cease to identify yourself as a person. Your personality remains, affixed to your "human form," but you (we) are much more.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:43 pm

'trails,

Specifically disclaiming that I'm further along on anything than anyone I just wanted to say that it is good to see you again. Hope you had a good trip!

Your post is great fodder for the mind, of which the initial knee-jerk reaction is to try to re-formulate your question as "what are the limitations on the human form?"

Namaste,

snowheight
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.