Meditation - knee and ankle pain

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
spikyface

Meditation - knee and ankle pain

Post by spikyface » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:14 pm

Hello there

So I've been meditating steadily for several months now , am getting more regular and lengthening the sessions to 20 minutes or more

But this is causing me a fair amount of knee and ankle pain after about 10 minutes into the session

It's actually getting painful to walk as well and I've noticed my knees have a tendency to really cramp up hard whilst sat at work for 2-3 hours

Any advice from more experienced meditators out there?
Do not take anyone as an authority on what you are. Ultimately all the answers lie within

Ananda

Re: Meditation - knee and ankle pain

Post by Ananda » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:22 pm

What type of meditation do you do?

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:55 pm

I know some people who meditate while sitting in a chair. This is quite acceptable in Buddhist communities, I think.
You should not ignore your knee pain. I would avoid the positions that make it arise for a while. Take care of your knees--they need to last you a lifetime!

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:18 pm

Is this because you are trying to sit in lotus position or some uncomfortable 'special' pose? If so it is completely unnecessary.

If it is not position related then perhaps you have an old injury there and you might be getting into an unconsious area of flesh and in that can be stored pain.

Self/ego can distract by producing pains which can focus on weaker areas/old injuries but be practical if the pain persists.
I have been inspired by Barry Long's teaching and I write this so as to acknowledge my source of inspiration. It is a wonderful help, and it is a wonderful gift.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:15 am

I have meditated for 35 years. Most of that was in the seated position. One objective of meditation is to rest the body so the mind can also be still. Pain is counterproductive. If you wish to perfect your full lotus, do it as a separate hatha yoga exercise, with guidance and care.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

spikyface

Post by spikyface » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:29 pm

Hello again

I'm following the Aro meditation course so the posture is like this http://aromeditation.org/getting-down-to-earth.html

Although for the past couple of days I've just been meditating in a chair according the advice you've provided

There's probably something wrong with my knees, they cramp up when I'm sat down for a 2-3 hours

Probably just strain
Do not take anyone as an authority on what you are. Ultimately all the answers lie within

Ananda

Post by Ananda » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:45 pm

Sit in whatever position feels most comfortable, the only important thing to ensure is that your spine and head are both straight and facing directly forwards. If your meditation involves having your eyes opened then rest your eyesight in the center of your vision at eye level on an object that is not moving. If you are sitting for many hours without progress or insight from meditation then take up a different meditation or practice. You don't need to sit for long periods of time in meditation, it is about the quality of the practice, not the length of time you practice for. If you are gaining fruit from your meditation, but still sit for hours, then I reccomend alternating between walking and sitting- when walking keeping the senses and mind restrained.

spikyface

Post by spikyface » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:22 pm

That was exactly the kind of advice I was looking for

Thanks Ananda