Apathy

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Apathy

Postby markallen » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:19 pm

Namaste

I am seeking wisdom and personal experiences on the topic of apathy.

Thank you all for your time and consideration.
markallen

Re: Apathy

Postby Webwanderer » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:57 pm

Apathy is a state one often encounters when first waking up from the egoic dream. It's usually only temporary but can be lasting for some. When one recognizes that one is not the identity construct that he/she spent a lifetime perceiving through and believed he/she was, there is oftentimes a rejection of all the perspectives one held dear for so long. The relationships, the interests, the experiences, virtually everything appears meaningless. It doesn't have to remain this way however, and in truth may be a leftover vestige of ego. "If it's all just an illusion, why should I care?" An egoic take I recognize. Pure awareness would not bother asking such a question, it simply takes in all experience as just part of the landscape of being.

The truth is, why not care? Life is here, it's happening right now, you have the option of engaging with life in this particular form. Why waste this opportunity to interact with creation as it unfolds. What else do you have to do? Sit around and sulk that you have deceived yourself for so many years? You could look at it as gaining night vision. While most everyone around you is stumbling around in the dark, you with greater clarity, are able to see what they cannot. You have a vision that allows you to navigate through life with comparative ease, avoiding many pitfalls that egos readily succumb to. Consider: just because life in form is illusory in nature does not mean that the experiences one has are not real. If you feel something, the sense of it is real even though the mind's interpretation of it is not.

Engage with life. Have some fun. Loving life as it unfolds is to love those you encounter. Not because you have to, or because you work at it; but because it's natural when you see the truth that life is not as it seems through the eyes of ego. It is far more interesting than the mind of man could ever imagine.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby runstrails » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:24 pm

Fabulous post, WW!!! I'll be reading it often.

I just want to add, after the initial apathy, a sense of lightheartedness can occur. If life is an illusion, how can you take it too seriously? So life then becomes less stressful and more relaxed and enjoyable for the most part.
runstrails

Postby Mouse » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:27 pm

'"apathy is described as a response to an easy challenge for which the subject has matched skills"

Does that sound familiar. The self can get stuck in circumstances that do not reflect much life to it. The solution in that case would be a fresh assessment of the living situation.
I have been inspired by Barry Long's teaching and I write this so as to acknowledge my source of inspiration. It is a wonderful help, and it is a wonderful gift.
Mouse

Postby Sighclone » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:00 am

Great post, WW!!!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby Novidez » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:54 am

Hi all,

I am new here. And I'm sorry, I know that this is a really old post, but this is the way I'm feeling now.

I found Eckhart Tolle few days ago and since then, I only want to see more and more videos and read more and more things about what he says. I am kinda addicted actually. But, I'm struggling now. I mean, I am a 23 year-old guy, currently studying in college. I really understand and identify myself with the things that Eckhart says. But, instead of starting to be peaceful and living the Now, I'm finding very lost and apathethic. For example, today when I woke up I have to get dressed and move to my college to take my classes. But I just didn't. I stayed in the bed. I didn't have energies to get up and start a new day. I ended up falling asleep again and missed all my classes. And in the meantime, it seems I just don't care.

Webwanderer wrote:Apathy is a state one often encounters when first waking up from the egoic dream. It's usually only temporary but can be lasting for some. When one recognizes that one is not the identity construct that he/she spent a lifetime perceiving through and believed he/she was, there is oftentimes a rejection of all the perspectives one held dear for so long. The relationships, the interests, the experiences, virtually everything appears meaningless. It doesn't have to remain this way however, and in truth may be a leftover vestige of ego. "If it's all just an illusion, why should I care?" An egoic take I recognize. Pure awareness would not bother asking such a question, it simply takes in all experience as just part of the landscape of being.

The truth is, why not care? Life is here, it's happening right now, you have the option of engaging with life in this particular form. Why waste this opportunity to interact with creation as it unfolds. What else do you have to do? Sit around and sulk that you have deceived yourself for so many years? You could look at it as gaining night vision. While most everyone around you is stumbling around in the dark, you with greater clarity, are able to see what they cannot. You have a vision that allows you to navigate through life with comparative ease, avoiding many pitfalls that egos readily succumb to. Consider: just because life in form is illusory in nature does not mean that the experiences one has are not real. If you feel something, the sense of it is real even though the mind's interpretation of it is not.

Engage with life. Have some fun. Loving life as it unfolds is to love those you encounter. Not because you have to, or because you work at it; but because it's natural when you see the truth that life is not as it seems through the eyes of ego. It is far more interesting than the mind of man could ever imagine.

WW

This is a brilliant thing that you say here WW... But, why do I feel that I have no energies at all? What's wrong with me? I suppose this is all egoic mind talking, right...?
What do I have to do then?

Thank you all for your attention.
Novidez

Postby Webwanderer » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:24 pm

Novidez wrote:But, why do I feel that I have no energies at all? What's wrong with me? I suppose this is all egoic mind talking, right...?
What do I have to do then?

First, there is nothing wrong with you. You have, or had, a perspective on life that has been called into question. The socially correct beliefs that you have been fed are being exposed in favor of a deeper and more inclusive view on the nature of life and being. And while you feel the things you are now realizing are inherently true, what do you do with that recognition? Life as you knew it seems like so much BS. So why should you continue to follow the course you have been on? Isn't it a waste?

In a way that's like the boat you are riding in is on course for a destination you no longer wish to go to. And now you're considering your options. Stay in your bunk and let it crash on the rocks? Jump overboard? Or maybe steer a new course? Until you decide it may be wise to keep the ship off the rocks and yourself out of the cold waters. In other words continue to play the game until you gain a little more clarity on your new perspective.

It will be easier to make decisions while in the flow than from off the rocks. The best thing about the status quo is that the familiarity offers enough stability that you can take a little time to consider what's best. Your new found knowledge and insight will take a little time (maybe a lot of time) to settle in in a way that your own inner guidance will become clearer.

Understand, life is about exploration and growth. And that can be accomplished wherever you're at and whatever you're doing. This is so simply because living from a greater perspective than the one we were en-trained with in our early years tends to be inclusive of life's circumstances rather than exclusive. So everything we do, everything we experience, has value.

Some valuable tips. Be patient and be steadfast. Patience because no one can tell you how to be. You have to feel your way to clarity by your own accord. We all do. We can get pointers from anywhere, but integration into our life perspective is on us individually. It can take time, so be patient as well as gentile with your self. There's no grading system here. Self condemnation is just one more thing to get in the way of the fun and joy that clarity of life offers. Again, be patient.

And be steadfast. That is stay the course. Find time to be mentally quite and peacefully aware every day, several times a day. Make it a way of life to rest in the present moment whenever you have the opportunity - even if it's only for a minute.

There is power in the now. Tolle recognized it. That's why he name his signature book for it. It's unlikely that you will stay mentally focused in the now all the time. There is just too much to consider in life. That's okay. Life in this human experience is designed that way. Just know where home is and return when conditions are right.

Life is inherently beautiful. If you choose to see it that way, you will experience it that way. Live in appreciation as much as you can and let go of your concerns as soon as you can. It's really that simple.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby CaiHong » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:22 am

Hi Novidez,
thanks for resurrecting the old post. I really got a lot out of WW responses. I went through a couple of days of negativity, a short bursts of anger and listlessness. I took myself off to another city for a couple of days. as I walked the crowded streets I saw a man in a Tshirt that read, ""Do anything, do something". I was falling into a bit of apathy and though not a serious depth and could easily extricate myself, I needed to act to get out. WW has marvelous suggestions and insights.

Caihong
CaiHong

Return to Questions