Advice for Depressed People

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Postby summer » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:21 pm

Perhaps faith and trust are heart qualities. An absence of fear.

And often religions have used faith as a cover up for fear. And hence the dualistic idea of trusting God. Or having faith in God.
summer

Postby kiki » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:50 am

Perhaps faith and trust are heart qualities. An absence of fear.

I like your thinking here, summer. Ramana sometimes referred to your core being as the 'heart', and when in the heart there is no fear.

And often religions have used faith as a cover up for fear. And hence the dualistic idea of trusting God. Or having faith in God.

I would agree with this, too. The core fear is the fear that you don't exist (and you don't as a separate entity), and so the ego employs many strategies for avoiding the discovery of its illusory nature, keeping you trapped in duality. It's very clever and very effective.

Thanks for your insights.
kiki

Re: Advice for Depressed People

Postby phil » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:15 pm

Anonymous wrote:In any case of suicide or depression, people seek suicide as a way of being in peace forever because they can't handle their life. How would you prevent someone from committing such an act?

I'm sure I don't know to prevent someone from taking their life, but it does seem to raise another question.

On what basis do we conclude that we are better off alive than dead?

It's perhaps unwise to ask such questions, of oneself, or in public. Perhaps some things are best left alone. I don't know, it's unclear.

I can't stop my mind from asking this question, but I can stop my mouth. Should we continue?
phil

Previous

Return to Questions