Questions, questions, questions........

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
James

Re: Questions, questions, questions........

Post by James » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:08 am

Indeed Ralph, Nisargadatta referred to it as "earnestness," an essential quality. This is a very different quality than egoic grasping that is trying to experience more and better states. Adyashanti in his talks often discusses this paradox of "being and becoming". There can be an egoic tendency to land on a certain state or experience and say "this is it, the search is over, I'm going to fly my enlightenment flag, give me my enlightenment diploma, thank you very much" etc. Because it may feel that way for a while, that it is finished, I know I've been there. Then that experience or realization may come to an end, and something else wants to happen, and there is is a spiritual impulse to continue, that is impersonal that says "keep going." But it is no longer a search that is driven by suffering and frustration of the ego, there is joy in it, it is the spiritual longing towards expression, embodiment and celebration. Yet it is not a future minded goal, it is an unfolding that is happening Now, when there is complete acceptance and opening to what is... That's how I see it and experience it... I can't speak for others though, how it is or will be for them.
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:35 am

I see it as self-honesty. Through experience, persistence, humility and many of the other revelations and realizations we feel through the process, we can develop self-honesty. It's the realization that even right now I may be fooling myself.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:44 am

I am fond of entertaining the question: "If I never got any more enlightened than I am now would that be OK? For quite a while the answer has been yes. But for many years, I had no glimpse at all and the answer would be a grinding, wailing "NOOOOO!!"

Maybe I'm just older.... :)

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

FreeWill444

Post by FreeWill444 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:57 am

Thank you so much for sharing that video Ralph! When they spontaneously burst into laughter I couldn't help but join in, however the laughter felt different. I don't know about everyone else here but when I laugh at things comedians say etc it still feels somehow, not forced but just not free. When I laughed at this I felt a lightness flowing through my chest, it felt like a massive relief :D Thank you again!

spikyface

Post by spikyface » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:16 pm

Been reading through Happiness beyond Thought lately and he (Gary Weber) expresses it quite succinctly:
As a personal anecdote, my journey started with a totally unexpected and unprecedented (for me) dramatic spiritual experience with no preparation or practice
However, because there was no preparation or practice, I couldn't hold it; I was clueless
Despite much subsequent practice of yoga and meditation and other experiences, the page didn't turn until some-place in the 9,000 hours category for each
So in order to house the realisation, the brain has to re-wire itself to become compatible with it
Which makes sense if the realisation invalidates several pillars that your worldview is built on top of
In response to questions about the necessity of of effort in a practice of enlightenment to gain enlightenment Ramana said "No one succeeds without effort. Mind control is not one's birthright. The successful few owe their success to their perseverance"
Do not take anyone as an authority on what you are. Ultimately all the answers lie within