my progress..what now?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
claire may flet

my progress..what now?

Post by claire may flet » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:39 pm

Hi
I first read the power of now a few years ago...and have returned to it lately..
it brings great peace of mind to me after years of depression/anxiety.
my progress is as folllows.
Im at the stage of not listening to or believing in my thoughts any more.
I am aware of my egos tricks and ego has shrunk greatly..(though it still is there in a small way)
problems and people affect me less.
I can enjoy some present moments daily..

Ive been reading in this forum more the past few weeks, last night i found the links to jac okeeffe and watched some utubes of her ,this all has caused me to realize
im part way along a path to be a more enlightened being...

my question is now what do I do....continue as I have been doing and wait to see if awakening happens on its own...or is there some thing I could be doing???..
the true enlightened state is beyond mind ??is this correct in the way i understand this.?

from reading and watching it appears to simply happen to people almost spontainiously

and just to be nosy/curious do any others here feel the same as me at present.. :)
thanks claire

hanss

Re: my progress..what now?

Post by hanss » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:53 pm

About the same for me. But I don't care so much about "no thinking", just a few minutes a day. And since I listened to Adya talking about the "Shape shifting self" I don't care so much about watching the ego either, it has 1000 tricks and when they are used it comes up with 1000 more. I focus on my body, feelings and senses a lot, that is my way. At least 3-4 hours a day of workout, yoga and mediation, Nature walks, silence. Shapes, colors, beauty. If I get more "enlightened" that is fine. But I don't have a goal to get all awakended. I come from suffering and if I can live like I do now instead of how it was before, that is great. It is enough as it is. I'm grateful as it is even if the "ego" is still operating (but in a more modest humble way). My whole world has changed, both on the inside and outside. I'm a different person. As I see it, more connected with a higher intelligence that is working thru me. Or as ET says, "All the things that truly matter — beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace — arise from beyond the mind."
"In today's rush we all think too much, seek too much, want too much and forget about the joy of just Being."
(Eckhart Tolle)

Kutso

Post by Kutso » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:59 pm

claire may flet wrote:my question is now what do I do....continue as I have been doing and wait to see if awakening happens on its own...or is there some thing I could be doing???
That is the mind speaking. It needs something to do. It can't understand that enlightenment isn't something that is going to happen, but rather is something that has always been there, only obscured by the mind. The mind searches for enlightenment, and yet the mind is the very hinder of enlightenment. The mind needs to rest, and then enlightenment will be there, just as it always has.
Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that.

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:13 pm

claire may flet wrote: Im at the stage of not listening to or believing in my thoughts any more.
I am aware of my egos tricks and ego has shrunk greatly..(though it still is there in a small way)
problems and people affect me less.
I can enjoy some present moments daily..

Ive been reading in this forum more the past few weeks, last night i found the links to jac okeeffe and watched some utubes of her ,this all has caused me to realize
im part way along a path to be a more enlightened being...

my question is now what do I do....continue as I have been doing and wait to see if awakening happens on its own...or is there some thing I could be doing???..
the true enlightened state is beyond mind ??is this correct in the way i understand this.?

from reading and watching it appears to simply happen to people almost spontainiously

and just to be nosy/curious do any others here feel the same as me at present.. :)
thanks claire
hi claire, I'm a little confused with what you are asking.
accepting that you already are ...

maybe ET's discussion in ANE on Acceptance, Enjoyment and Enthusiasm applies -

if you are in one of these three states, or if you're not you recognise and choose differently for yourself - that's it.

then what you do with it is up to you. For me, 'being' enlightened or being anything is not the point the point is the being.

the three states of consciousness are their own reward. Realising that you have a choice and you exercise it is only the journey, albeit the journey is your life.
Enjoy! put joy into!
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen

claire may flet

Post by claire may flet » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:14 pm

:) hanss
i agree totally that i could continue as i am at present fairly happliy as its certainly better than where i was before..i will look for the Adya talk..thank you

:) kutso
ive been looking for something i already have then..i jus need to allow it to be uncovered ???.. my minds been trying to puzzle this out !!!! :lol: tricky sticky mind goodbye mind i thought you was a friend ..thanks kutso it clearer now

claire may flet

Post by claire may flet » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:18 pm

:D smileyjen
Ive not read ANE but will try and find this so i can understand ..thanks for your reply

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:34 pm

welcome claire, I'm sure you will love it!

As a signpost to it what I took from that section of ANE was wonder-ful.
It outlines - I think I'll have to do this upside down..
Enthusiasm he describes as the state of consciousness you're in when you have a goal and are flying towards it, while still being conscious of the moment you are in right now, and putting joy into that. He says something like - you are the arrow flying to the target and enjoying the ride --- yum!

Enjoyment he describes as joy bubbling up from the inside of you to pour into whatever it is you're doing.. think the child gleeful and light

Acceptance he talks about in situations that you would not necessarily choose for yourself but for this moment can do nothing to change or remove yourself from - accepting for this moment this is what is required of me.
and, if you're not in one of these three states you should stop doing whatever it is you are doing/being.

I don't know if you can think of some people in those different states - I know whenever I saw the Australian crocodile hunter Steve Irwin so enthusiastically enjoying whatever he was doing - maybe this was why some compared him to a child - but what joy!

For me, any of these states create a love and joy all of its own - grace is possible.

I (lol) enthusiastically en-joyed reading the book, journalling as I read it. It's one of those books that you read something and then you 'notice' it.

I hope you do find it and en-joy every moment of it :)
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen

claire may flet

Post by claire may flet » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:48 pm

:D smiileyjen
many thanks i will try and find that as quick as i can.I feel im in the acceptance state ,though i feel peace now i dont yet feel the joy/bliss others have spoken of.
I need to accept more totally perhaps..
claire

heidi

Post by heidi » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:17 am

Welcome, Claire. Please read the forum rules and guidelines:
http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... f=9&t=2051

Enjoy the forum.
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:13 am

claire may flet wrote: I feel im in the acceptance state ,though i feel peace now i dont yet feel the joy/bliss others have spoken of.
I need to accept more totally perhaps..
This awoke reflection in me that stayed with me all day and led me back to being more responsible for my choices. (thank you!)

Being conscious and taking personal responsibility for your state of being is more than feeling, its recognising and enacting the responsibility for the choice of your thoughts, feelings and states.

If say you are in a state of acceptance of a thing - let's use being in a traffic jam grid lock for an example that is going to make you late for work. There's nothing you can do about it to change it, you can't get out of it (you could maybe turn around and go home - that is an option...no choice is wrong it just brings a different experience!)

But lets say you choose to accept it and stay in the traffic jam until it moves and accept whatever the experience of that choice - if you're boss gets mad, okay, he gets mad, accept it, if you miss a deadline, okay you do what you can to make amends - within reality and with grace.

What if you chose to put joy into it though? What if you consciously chose to en-joy it?

It's a choice, and no choice is wrong - there is no universal law that says you can't enjoy being in a traffic jam. But choice requires consciousness and most often action.

I'm using this example because I have had some of my best fun in unavoidable traffic jams. On the first morning I decided to en-joy it I put some funky music on, turned it up loud, sang along full heartedly, jiggled in my seat dancing, punched my arm out the window to the beat and had all the fun I might have reserved for a concert or dance. Why not?

A guy in the lane next to me gave me a questioning look - how DARE you be enjoying yourself, can't you see we're in a traffic jam? I'm only interpreting his 'look' but regardless I could have made an enemy of his look, or accepted his 'look', instead I chose to enjoy it and smiled hugely at him. He shook his head at me like I was a nut... but so what? I was doing no harm. What he did with what he was seeing was his choice. Eventually because we were side by side in the traffic for awhile he started to smile and wound down his window to listen to my music and even started to sway a little (lol!).

But, even if he'd wound down his window to abuse me, that's really not my problem - it would have been his choice.

Having a totally different experience of the traffic jam gave me confidence to know that I could enthusiastically drive to work no matter the state of the traffic. My re-action to it was my choice. If I choose to wallow in self pity or fear, that's a choice too. You can actually have a lot of fun being enthusiastic about anything - next time you're sad and want to cry really let rip, howl, scream, rant.. you'll be amazed how good it feels.

The funny thing was that when I arrived at work, 20 minutes late to face a fuming boss, I laughed and said "you know what? I finally figured out I have no control over the traffic conditions. I drive through 56 sets of lights with three lanes full of cars and trucks and just one thing out of whack affects my time. But, it doesn't have to affect my mood.'

He gave me a look that was really none of my business either :roll: and I enthusiastically allowed him to choose his own experience of it.

So maybe there is something more you can do - choose - choose consciously in as many moments and situations as you can. BE all of you!

Edit: oops I nearly forgot, part of enthusiasm is gratitude. In case I haven't made myself out to be a big enough nut yet, I enthusiastically thank traffic lights sometimes - I figured when I'm in a non-accepting state I rant at them as if I'm speaking to whatever/whoever controls them, so in an enthusiastic state I do the same positively. We take a green light for granted as much as we take so many other things in our life for granted. Thank the little things too.

Bless!

claire may flet

Post by claire may flet » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:34 pm

:D smillyjen
A clearly inspiring tale for all.
This happy traffic jam really made me smile,mostly we all follow the idea that something like a traffic jam is bad, (well its not great.). But its certainly nothing we can change so accept is the only sane response. And to totally enjoy as you did is a wonderful example of just how great life can be in a accepting state, the guy in the other car must have enjoyed himself too, lovely to know youve lightened some ones day by sharing something so simple as a smile sometimes. :D
I wonder if your boss has figured you are totally correct or if he/she thinks your a very odd person. :P
Im going to try for total acceptance and hopefully enjoy life as much as you was able in your funky music dancing traffic jam ,it does make you feel able to enjoy the world and life . :D
Im needing some enthusiasm in my life too....
thanks
claire

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:52 am

I wonder if your boss has figured you are totally correct or if he/she thinks your a very odd person. :P
I guess that depends on his choices of the moment, at different times he likely figures both. Sometimes I scare the absolute crap out of him and he re-acts with fear.
At other times he calls me in to discuss areas where I have irked at him. Sometimes, if I feel my ego starting to defend itself I ask if we can pick it up in 24 hours.
The discussions 24 hours later are often very different to how they might have been if we'd continued in ego alert states.

He also feeds in a lot of information he has about my life and my responses to opportunities I've experienced to choose love and compassion over fear.
What he does with that however, is his business and as changeable as I am. We are all works in progress.
Im going to try for total acceptance and hopefully enjoy life as much as you was able in your funky music dancing traffic jam ,it does make you feel able to enjoy the world and life . :D
Im needing some enthusiasm in my life too....
:lol: may love and light go with you :roll: It will give you lots of truly amazing opportunities.

Be sure to post back about your experiences, I'll be fascinated to hear them.

claire may flet

Post by claire may flet » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:03 am

:D

Ive been working short staffed for nearly a year now,and so sometimes am unable to complete all my jobs by the end of my shift,the next day my boss will always take me in the office to tell me off for not getting all done. To which I then explain (again) thats theres just too much work for one person as its a two person job. The other woman
who works with me having been off sick for almost a year. This has been causing me no small amount of stress. After of of my bosses tellings off I would spends days (or longer) angry at the situation, becoming almost ill myself. Words and minds storys becoming increasingly dominant in my head. As I would review and rail inside at the unfairness.This all brought out my depression and anxiety.
A few weeks ago I was again taken into the office because my work wasnt complete....only this time my boss was telling me it was my own fault as I didnt comunicate that I needed some help!!! And I should ask for help...!!(my mind was saying excuse me,but for almost a year Ive been telling you I need some assistance )..

This time however I had decided I would stay present and not allow this situation to ruin my day..I listened to my boss carefully and didnt argue back .I agreed I would ask for help when needed. And left the office sure this wasnt going to cause me the usual upsets....

Every day for a few days I got overly busy and did as my boss had asked ...I went and told her that I was extremly busy and needed help.She then went and found me some one to help.John ...would helped me through the busyest times.

I went and asked for help on about the 3rd day of this..."get John to help " says my boss....."I have asked him ,but hes too busy with his own work"
my boss then went to John to see why he couldnt help,,He explained he had to many of his own jobs to do...

My boss then became very annoyed at this....I remained calm ...no upset for me...I hadnt choosen to be overloaded with work...

She then said in a very cross tone.."well I will have to come and help you myself.....
which she did ...however the next day I was informed that I would have a agency staff arriving to help me....
wonderful I thought by not arguing and trying to pointlessly explain again to some one who didnt want to know .Ive acheived a result I was looking for...some help.!!!

All at no stress to myself...without causing myself one bit of upset........all I had to do was remain present and not react in my normal way,simply allow things to be ??

My work is much easyer now with help and its no longer a upsetting situation that I had come to dread...!!!!
Its served as a usefull example to me to remain present when feeling Im being attacked or critisied ...Im using it more often with great results....
allowing things to be...or people to be upset or angry hasnt the same affect on me at all....before Im sure I would have had days or weeks of upset over something as small as the above example....and felt the situation wasnt ever ever going to be resolved...

Accepting more and more with practical results...enjoying this now instead of dreading and making up long repetative mind storys as to why something that is just shouldnt be so....

Such peace in going with life rather than moaning about it...
:D
claire

mohanrao786

Post by mohanrao786 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:15 am

a very inspiring tale.
the practical situation can only tell me how much present we r.
i really liked the choice attitude