Feeling the inner body

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
xkatex

Feeling the inner body

Post by xkatex » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:35 am

I can always feel certain parts of my body when I use this portal to get in touch with the inner energy field. However I can never seem to feel the body as a whole and I can't help thinking that this is something I'm missing out on :P

If I continue to feel only a certain part, such as my hands, will the feeling gradually diffuse throughout my body? Or should I change the parts that I feel, for example feel the hands for a day or a few minutes and then switch to the belly? Any experiences you may have had would be so helpful, thank you :) x

Mouse

Re: Feeling the inner body

Post by Mouse » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:38 am

Yes I am completely sensational so I speak from the body!

Feel the hands and work up the arms. Link with the shoulders and then go into the back and chest. I am sure you get the idea, there is no set way but putting it all together gradually is the way.
Last edited by Mouse on Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have been inspired by Barry Long's teaching and I write this so as to acknowledge my source of inspiration. It is a wonderful help, and it is a wonderful gift.

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:39 pm

Next you endeavour to feel as many parts together as is practical. To start with one uses an awareness which is a focus and that is a bit part-ial, in that you feel your foot or hand but not the rest of the body. Gradually as you put more parts together you see them all at once and you start to enter the state of consciousness which is more of a broader and broader view. Instead of projecting awareness onto the foot you are now receiving the sensation of the body from all parts. The awareness is used to penetrate an unconscious area and it requires a certain force or concentration to hold that direction until the sensation begins to materialise. The more this is done the more the sensation is acknowledged and appears to be easily accessible to the perception of the body. It is easier and easier to do and eventually it is effortless.

The wellbeing is the deepest sensation of the body and is the result of feeling all those parts together so that at some point they all coalesce into a unified core sensation that has no distinction in it. By distinction I mean it has no parts and no edges, and watch for the mind that projects images and names of body parts. That projection will go too when it is seen and you are left looking at this sensation. It is a delight and if coupled with being in the external senses, that's the inner and outer halves reunited into a whole. It makes sense.
I have been inspired by Barry Long's teaching and I write this so as to acknowledge my source of inspiration. It is a wonderful help, and it is a wonderful gift.

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:49 pm

Keep going round the body regularly when you start, get the sensation then move on. The idea is to get the body filled with this sensation. There are always parts that one suddenly realises that have not been penetrated. They are sort of overlooked. It is always good to get into an unconscious area, it enhances the wholeness and pleasure of being a body.

arel

Post by arel » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:25 pm

Being physical helps. Part of the reason why yoga and this spiritual business are intertwined.
What I say is only my viewpoint.

xkatex

Post by xkatex » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:38 pm

Guys this is great advice :) mouse I tried your advice in my meditation today, but now I ask how can I maintain this whilst I have my attention on other things, such as writing an essay or spending time with friends, can you feel all of the body at once in these situations or just as parts?

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:33 pm

xkatex wrote:Guys this is great advice :) mouse I tried your advice in my meditation today, but now I ask how can I maintain this whilst I have my attention on other things, such as writing an essay or spending time with friends, can you feel all of the body at once in these situations or just as parts?
The answer is to see what you love.

When with the sensation see you love the good in the body. Be one with it.

When with friends and essays be one with your self. Do not judge your self.

Life brings more of what is loved simply through acknowledgement.

When that garden of wellbeing blooms in the body, you are the gardener acknowledging the flowers. You have to clear the garden of your self to start with by penetrating the unconscious areas.

The solar plexus area seems a focus for this wellbeing.

xkatex

Post by xkatex » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:18 pm

Thank you so much for this advice :) I'm going to try this out at school this week and see what happens, starting with the solar plexus or belly as this is the actual centre of the body. The feeling is wonderful, it's just remembering to do it and getting the feeling throughout your whole body.

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:23 am

That's right. And the more you are in it the more it comes towards 'you'.

xkatex

Post by xkatex » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:14 pm

Mouse! I'm still struggling :( I can't feel the body as a whole.

eckhart01

Post by eckhart01 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:26 pm

The pointer of going into the body seems to be misinterpreted a lot.

The "goal" is not to feel that feeling (aliveness if you will) throughout your whole body. The idea behind this pointer is to focus on something that isn't mind movement. So, focusing on breathing as in meditation or feeling your hands and feet are both intended to keep your focus in the now.

I myself can only intensely feel hands, part of my arms, and legs. The most important thing is that you feel anything at all, because feeling it implies that you are taking your attention into the now, and those mind patterns have a looser grip on you.

Also, I should add if it helps that Eckhart himself mentions this in one of his talks, even though its not in any of his writings. Turning this pointer/portal into a goal takes you back into thought, and invariably you feel down because you can't feel every single part. Again, the key is to just feel anything at all, because feeling anything means that you are present; as you feel it, there is no room for thought, and ultimately thats why this portal is so powerful.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:44 pm

Eckhart's CD "Gateways to Now" offers a gentle technique to experience the inner body. The ISBNs are 0-7435-3547-2 and 987-0-7435-3547-2. There are usually copies on Amazon, maybe abebooks, maybe alibris, maybe ebay...and periodically it appears on Eckhart's website.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:16 pm

xkatex wrote:Mouse! I'm still struggling :( I can't feel the body as a whole.
Well it is a work in progress, if you love it then it will deepen and widen. We hold onto tension in the body and this produces thought and keeps us from dropping into that formless sensation. Consciously let go of tension and consciously 'guide' that down to the belly region where it is dissolved.
eckhart01 wrote:The pointer of going into the body seems to be misinterpreted a lot.

The "goal" is not to feel that feeling (aliveness if you will) throughout your whole body.
if you haven't got this then you are not in your body and there will be unconsciousness unpenetrated.
The idea behind this pointer is to focus on something that isn't mind movement. So, focusing on breathing as in meditation or feeling your hands and feet are both intended to keep your focus in the now.
This is true.

Also, I should add if it helps that Eckhart himself mentions this in one of his talks, even though its not in any of his writings. Turning this pointer/portal into a goal takes you back into thought, and invariably you feel down because you can't feel every single part. Again, the key is to just feel anything at all, because feeling anything means that you are present; as you feel it, there is no room for thought, and ultimately thats why this portal is so powerful.
That's right but this meditation that you are describing can be extended to be a constant activity.

eckhart01

Post by eckhart01 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:41 am

I would be careful of suggesting what are you are saying to anyone who is new to Eckhart's pointers.

To the original poster xkatex, keep doing what you are doing, even if you feel parts of it. I'll reiterate, Eckhart himself has said that 'entire body feeling' is not necessary. The point of body awareness is to stay alert through presence by concentrating on something that is not thought. Feeling the hands and legs generally comes easy to most people, so sustain that and go further if it comes...if it doesn't, dont despair that you're not "getting it" because that entirely misses the point of the exercise.

I would suggest to overlook some parts of what Mouse is saying. The moment it becomes goal-oriented, unconsciousness comes in. And it will inevitably lead to frustration.

katex you alone know how your progress is going by the level of peace and mind activity when you go into the body. Remember to catch yourself when you say "why am I only feeling it in my hands when I am being told it should be the entire body?"... a wonderful mind created diversion.

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:00 am

eckhart01 wrote:I would suggest to overlook some parts of what Mouse is saying. The moment it becomes goal-oriented, unconsciousness comes in. And it will inevitably lead to frustration.
You are the one Eckhart that is suggesting it is the goal. I am not. I do it because I love it. I love being in my body and not in my thinking process. I have no goal other than being real now.

Please do ask more questions Kate, about the inner body, if you want to.