Pain Body and Dreams

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Pain Body and Dreams

Postby summer » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:00 am

Sometimes I wake up in the morning and I feel crummy. I have been having a bad dream. These dreams usually involve me feeling lost.
I have lost the keys to my car. Or my wallet has been stolen and I wonder if anyone is going to recognize me. No drivers license, no credit card, no cash. Often I am running and trying to find help, and still seem very lost.

I wake up exhausted from all of this searching.

Since I have been absorbing Eckahart's teachings now for a few years, these dreams feel like my pain body moving in and filling my mind with fear. I have noticed that the main characters in these dreams are also people that I have felt very betrayed by in my past. The people that fit into my 'poor me' drama.

It feels like my pain body is trying to reassert this story of me, that I no longer believe in 100%

So my question is, has anyone else experienced the pain body in their dream state?
And how do I become more present to this energy when I am asleep?
summer

Postby heidi » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:05 pm

Wow Summer, good question. I think we all must experience disconcerting dreams in our Un-conscious sometimes. I can't imagine how you might manipulate your brain to be more conscious while you're sleeping. I think the key is how you deal with it when you wake up. :)

Can't expect consciousness when you're unconscious; but your consciousness of your unconscious mind leads to more consciousness all around. he he.

paradoxically yours,
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:49 pm

Hi Summer,

Interestingly, I too have been Intrigued about sleep and dreams.

I loved heidi's expression (as always).

My interest has been mainly in awakening within dreams...., whereas I remember my own awareness while in the mist of a dream, and instantly open my eyes... fully awake and aware with no residue sleepyness. Leaves me in a wonderful awe. But this doesn't happen often.
Each nite i lay in bed to sleep, with only thoughts as distraction ... and i am fasinated watching sleep *pull* me in... and in the recognition of it, I'm sucked right back out.. lol Sometimes this happens several times before I finally let go.
Another interesting aspect of *dreams*, is that I have communed with those whom has passed away... very recently after their passing. So I understand this realm as a very real part of our being.
zzzzzzzzz,
Jim

Postby summer » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:28 pm

Hi Jim and Heidi,
thank you both for your input and advice.
And yes, Heidi, how I deal with it when I wake up is important :D
I must say that they are a lot less upsetting now. As though even my subconscious mind is getting the message that I am "feeding" the pain body less.
Dreams are very interesting. Some people say that the mind likes to think so much, that it carries on even when we are sleeping :)
And a lot of dreams are very connected to what we are thinking about during the day. So it makes a lot of sense, that how we think during the day does influence our dreams.

And then the possibility that even when we say we are awake, we are also dreaming. So lucid dreaming becomes something we can also practice during the day time. That certainly 'lightens' the picture, huh? I have to laugh sometimes out how serious we can become over a dream.

Jim, I would love to hear more about your communications with people on the "other side". If that is something you care to share.

Sweet Dreams, everyone :(

love,
summer
summer

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:27 am

have you guys ever heard about Lucid Dreaming? This might help with what you've been experiencing. Lucid dreaming is when you become aware that you are dreaming while remaining in your dream. You can then proceed to do whatever the heck you want (after all, its your dream!) This guy (LaBerge) actually has done alot of research and written books and stuff:
http://www.lucidity.com/NL53.ResearchPastFuture.html

I used to do all the exercises and stuff, and i was able to become "lucid" once or twice, although i woke up shortly thereafter. This was years ago and since then i got all into meditation and practicing presence and whatnot. And now i'm kinda thinking about trying the lucid dreaming stuff again.

a friend

Postby summer » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:56 pm

Welcome, friend,
thanks for the interesting link.

One thing that doesn't sit well with me, is the whole idea of controlling the dreams. It seems to be the antithesis of surrendering to what is. I mean, who would be controlling these dreams? Ego?

I like the idea of accepting life just the way it is, and stepping back a little. Being the observer of life. Fully enjoying the moment, without taking any of it too seriously. What Eckhart means by surrendering

Life is an amazing experience. And allowing it to be what it is, fills me with a sense of freedom and excitement.

What do you think?
summer

Postby a_friend » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:37 pm

yeah, the controlling thing is kinda wierd, and i guess that's why i've never got back into it. but i think the ability to become aware that you are dreaming is pretty amazing. and you could always become aware and continue to let the dream unfold on its own.
a_friend

Postby summer » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:20 pm

Good point. Being aware that we are dreaming would be cool :)
So, the body is sleeping. And the mind is dreaming. So to be aware we would have to be in total Presence, huh?

I remember hearing Nisargadatta say that he doesn't sleep. His body does, but Consciousness itself is always awake.

Our essential nature that exists beyond the body and the mind.
summer

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:06 am

Summer wrote:
Jim, I would love to hear more about your communications with people on the "other side". If that is something you care to share.

Hi Summer,

Most are very real..., very vivid, yet very casual. Since my dad's passing in 1999, he has visited me twice. The second time felt much like a check-up on me type of thing. Very casual..., and in fact... I gave very little time to him. Once I confirmed he was doing well... enjoying himself, I had other things to do... and left... lol
My first conscious experiance of this was from my Grandmother. Oddly, I was in little contact with her for many years as she lived 2000+ miles away. The experiance I had with her... was without words being said, yet a form of communication very clear as she was bidding me goodbye. She gently led me into a very spiritually enlightening..., very consciously aware experiance that lifted me to a wonderful whollness... and right out of sleep in the end. I found myself very moved... yet puzzled by this *very real dream* until a day or so later that I had found out that she had just passed away about that same time.

I would love to keep rambling on... lol, but I'm living in a very busy household, and would like to try and reply to another post before I'm pulled from the computer.
Blessings,
Jim

Postby summer » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:13 am

thanks for sharing, Jim,
Your dream about your grandmother gave me goose bumps. I had a very strong feeling of recognition within. And a quiet voice said "you know, this communication isn't with words" Because I have also experienced this kind of telepathic sharing of deep love. Only I had forgotten

thanks for the reminder. Pure love is so, so, wonderful :D
summer

Postby kiki » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:46 am

At one time I was very interested in lucid dreams because I occassionaly would have one. When you are awake in the dream state there is a wonderful sense of freedom because you know that nothing can harm you, that everyone and everything in it came out of yourself - it was an elaborate play produced, directed, and starred in by yourself. My personal favorite thing to do while lucid dreaming was to fly.

This brings me to how this relates to PON. When there is an awakening to one's true nature there follows 'lucid living' because there is the knowing that all is coming out of nonpersonal awareness - awareness has produced, directed, and stars in the play as everything and everyone. And like lucid dreaming, there is the wonderful feeling of freedom because there is the knowing that nothing can harm you, because you are the awareness itself.

kiki
kiki

Postby embersfire » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:14 pm

Hi kiki!

I would guess from all your posts that I've read up until now that you are fully living in the NOW (please correct me if I'm wrong :)).

My question is this: how has enlightenment affected your dreams?
embersfire

Postby kiki » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:46 pm

Hi embersfire and welcome to the forum. The short answer to your question is 'not much'. There still exists the phantom ego which engages in day to day activities, and those activities play out in dream sequences as they did before. The difference is that there is no longer a belief in the reality of the egoic entity.

When you awake from dream conscsiousness you realize that what occurred during the dream itself was unreal - it is no longer believed in and so it can be easily dismissed. With awakening comes a similar realization. The ego is seen not to be real, and so there is no longer the unconscious following of ego's foibles and getting trapped by its demands and viewpoint of how things ought or ought not to be. The ego is seen to come and go, and yet there is this intangible 'something' that always remains - it's not really a something at all, but an empty knowingness that allows everything else to arise, exist, and pass away again. That emptiness is what you are, but it is not an emptiness devoid of life, but is life itself prior to expression as a particularized form of life.

As long as you are in the body you will continue to function as before - this is the nature of the expression of consciousness in human form. However, that human form is no longer invested with a belief that that is the reality of what one is. Will 'my' dream life continue as it has? I don't really know, but my guess is that it will. To whom would it matter?

kiki
kiki

Postby embersfire » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:15 am

Hello and thanks for the reply.

The reason why I asked you this question originates in my "dabbling" with lucid dreaming for the past year. In fact, lucid dreaming has led me to read PON, which was quite a stepping stone for me.

I totally agree with what you said : lucid living is very similar to lucid dreaming. In the few moments i was present i could sense a similar feeling to the one i sensed in many lucid dreams.

In fact I drove this belief to an extreme assuming that when I'll be able to fully live in the present, all my dreams will be lucid :). This makes perfect sense (to me) because being able to spot every move the mind/ego makes in the wake time would carry on in the dream time, spotting the illusion there too (kind of like reverse Dream Yoga :)).

This being said, i must conclude by saying that i'm not using PON to develop lucid dreaming :), all my effort goes to lucid living these days. In fact I know that after awakening all this stuff will not matter that much, like you said. It was just another question that came from the ego.

I wish you the best!!
embersfire

Postby summer » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:02 am

Update

I haven't had any more of those dreams that I started this thread about :)
summer

Next

Return to Questions