Pain Body and Dreams

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Postby lakeswimr » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:32 am

I lucid dream every night. I learned how to do it gradually. First I just became aware occasionally that I was dreaming in the middle of a dream. This was a big step and I recommend it to everyone. I don't actually recommend lucid dreaming for anything other than fun. I do think it is just like being awake only the things we think can happen much faster while dreaming than while awake. I can think of anything and then go into that dream and then change things whenever I like. I actually don't do things like fly much. I used to fly a lot more before I was lucid dreaming. Usually I do ordinary things like garden or cook or go to the beach or other fun things but even those things sometimes seem a bit boring now since I know I can do anything. Maybe I'm not creative enough. lol But I have really felt lately that I would rather be present.

Last night I realized I was not present in the middle of lucid dreaming and I decided to let go totally into the NOW and I felt so increadible. I was flooded with love and unfortunately pulled out of it with thought, just as I do at times when awake. But at least I know I can do it while asleep. Today I napped and did less lucid dreaming and was still able to sleep.

I do think pain body could come out and does come out in our dreams. if we can allow the pain we can burn up pain body even in our sleep! :)

Kiki--your description of awakening to the dream and realizing you aren't real but still having an ego you know isn't real reminded me of my experience realizing the voice in my head which tells me I haven't done enough isn't real. The voice is still there but isn't talking as much now that I just laugh at it. Very occasionally I am quite unconscious and get fooled by the voice but usually I just say, "oh, there is that crazy-making voice which I couldn't ever satisfy even if I tried" and I laugh.

I still get stuck with caring about people in my life and their health situations, some of which depend upon me doing thinking and planning. I am not sure how to do this thinking and plannning of I think none of this is real. lol Did I just talk in a big circle? It's real because I think it is real. But I do believe I would cause suffering to these people and possibly death if I didn't do what I'm doing. (One is a child with life threatening food allergies.) I can see this stuff isn't *ultimate reality* but I do feel caught up in it and it does trigger a lot of future thinking and planning and even worry.

I would enjoy reading your thoughts on this.
lakeswimr

Postby kiki » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:38 pm

Hi lakeswmr,

Being awake in situations like you describe doesn't mean action isn't to be taken. Action will flow from awareness rather than from conditioning. Action from awareness is naturally compassionate. You see someone who suffers (seemingly) and action flows, compassionately responding rather than reacting unconsciously. If planning for the future is part of that response then so be it. However, the stories surrounding the situation no longer hold one in bondage in how life is lived, stories no longer give boundaries to what you believe yourself to be. If worry comes that is a momentary thing - feel it fully and allow it to flow through without resistance and then it will fade away again. Then action can flow again spontaneously from awareness.

Life knows what it's doing. You ARE life.

kiki
kiki

Postby kiki » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:46 pm

Hi embersfire,

Next time you are in the midst of a lucid dream do self inquiry: ask, "Who is this that is lucid dreaming?" Are you the one who is still sleeping in the bed while the dream is going on, or are you something else? Let us know what is discovered.

kiki
kiki

Postby lakeswimr » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:51 pm

Kiki, you said, "If worry comes that is a momentary thing - feel it fully and allow it to flow through without resistance and then it will fade away again. Then action can flow again spontaneously from awareness.

Life knows what it's doing. You ARE life."

Thank you. This was a good reminder. Yes, I may still have worry but instead of my past mode of trying to think positive thoughts and push the worry away I can instead feel it fully and watch it fade away. And life does know what it's doing. :)

Thanks!
lakeswimr

Postby barbarasher » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:15 pm

So my question is, has anyone else experienced the pain body in their dream state?
And how do I become more present to this energy when I am asleep?

I have busy dreams, handling problems, working at solving the unpleasant issues or feelings. Busy, busy mind identified thoughts. It is so strange, that my dreams at night are like my day time negative thought processes. And I feel that the more I have quieted my mind during the day, the more the mind deals with this stuff at night.

Ever since I can remember, I have had this kind of dream, but lately as my mind has quieted down during the day, and especially on vacation, my nights are filled with busy thinking unpleasant dreams.

Not too terrible, but definitely unpleasant dreams that have me working and working, solving and resolving and working through things.

Any suggestions? Acceptance sounds good.
barbarasher

Postby noodletaboo » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:21 pm

Hello, a litle late but I'd like to share my experience in dreams.

Dreams can be a very useful thing to be aware. I developed my attention in dreams, not like the lucid dreams intention, just looking for energy in dreams. I can say that was the most rare and abstract part of my life. The point in the art of dreaming was not to manipulate the dream, but be aware, present.

Deep changes in the understanding of "what I am" comes when you manage this matter. I can say too, that if you are not that present in your dayly life, it's impossible to go beyon the ego. That was the end of my learning. I couldn't stop my identification with my mind and in a moment of supoused success I feel turn all my "hability of bein present in night dreams" turn into the "hability of being present in my own nightmares". I keeped contact with entities in "another levels", i did things that after years still impossible to understand, meeting people of the dayly life, and proof it the next day. I lost myself in dreams. I turned so scared because my mind tryied to understand the non-understandeble. No explanation. The power of the mind is so uncredible...as many "experiences in meditation"

But in some moment I realized that without a teacher (with or without body) the learning has no meaning and the noise of ego will increase. But it's a gate, I Know.

There is a thing that everyone can do if this case is repeated. In the moment you are half-awake but half-sleep, you can say to your mind: "I will able to remember this is just a dream" ...just a dream. And when you get it, you won't be identificate with the experiences of your dream. Dreams are just like mirrors of our mind in daily life estate, just that.

But in my dreams, when such unconfortable scenes appear I found myself saying "This couldn't be real, this suffering couldn't be real", and usually I have a sweet awakening. Isn't my intention to say that in my dreams, it just happens, because it's a reflection of my mind in my ordinary state.

So when i have a specially unconfortable dreams, it usually turns in a beautyful experience that the dream is just an illusion. It turns an understanding and a moment of celebration of the Reality.

My suffering experiences in dreams decreased so much. because I awake when I start suffering in an obvious level.

I hope my experience could be useful for someone!

Thanks
noodletaboo

Previous

Return to Questions