Living in the Now – Ending the Worry/Stress Habit

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
enlighten

Post by enlighten » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:38 pm

:)

blueviceroy

worry

Post by blueviceroy » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:13 pm

As aware consiousness we are immensly powerful compared to our unaware fellows. Think of that in an infinite arena . As the original we would be saddled by ego ,corrupted to point of ,well, this existence.

This experience would obviously teach us the liability of selfishness. I perform my best when "I" am not invovled and only truth is used. The truth of my current task the truth of my awareness whatever the current instant requires Worry is like a spasm its troublesome only when you fight against it trying to reason it away. Do not reason with worry let it remain untill it is exhasted, taste your fear and realize it fully ,do not stop the experience.
Clogging our proccesses with will is what causes us to loose touch with awareness

Suzanne

Re: Living in the Now – Ending the Worry/Stress Habit

Post by Suzanne » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:54 am

barbarasher wrote:I have a worry habit, which is one of the main factors that brought me to this spiritual enlightenment quest, so that I can rid myself of it.

I immediately attached to The Power of Now material and focused on reading all the books and listening to many of the CDs since I recognize that this is a portal to an answer.

This quest that I have been on for a year and a half,
Help!
Advice from a newbie: Moderators, correct me if I'm wrong.

You don't have a habit: It has you. It's your mind. It's got you. It's telling you that the future is frightening. It's telling you that the past was frightening.

And you're letting it.

You heard all the books, but you haven't actually heard your own mind jabbering away in your head.

You are not your thoughts. The past is irrelevant. The future cannot be touched. There is only now.

Right now, what is the problem? Now. Not later or potentially. Now. What's the problem now?

If you can find a time or place to sit still and be present, and listen to your mind bossing you around, become aware of the listener. That's you. Then, realize that the thoughts in your mind are just thoughts. They're not real.

Only now is real, and there's no suffering in now.

You're trying to substitute "an answer" for "an annoying habit." But Eckardt says you can't correct a problem in the same consciousness as it was created. The worrying is a thought. It's only a thought. It doesn't have to control you unless you remain unconcsious to the fact that you are not your thoughts. Let them go in one ear and out the other and they will lose their hold on you. Don't settle for just substituting one thought for another. Tell the thoughts to all go away, and just be.

Meditate, slow your thoughts, find gaps in the thoughts, they will receed. Laugh at them, those silly, old, conditioned thoughts. Those thoughts you really don't need anymore.

Webwanderer

Re: Living in the Now – Ending the Worry/Stress Habit

Post by Webwanderer » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:47 am

Suzanne wrote:Advice from a newbie: Moderators, correct me if I'm wrong.

You don't have a habit: It has you. It's your mind. It's got you.
Well, it's both. Yes the ego/mind is a thought that believes it is itself real. The attachment to that belief is the "got you" that you mention. From a greater perspective, this whole process of ego identity is within ones Essential Being. But you have pointed this out with clarity in your post that followed. Well said.