Violent Movies/Games

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Learner

Violent Movies/Games

Post by Learner » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:40 pm

I have a quick question. I was watching some of Eckhart Tolle's Art of Presence Retreat and in this, he discusses violent movies. I can't remember if he discusses video games too. Somebody asks him why we watch these things. He said that they are created by pain-bodies, watched by pain-bodies, acted in by pain-bodies, etc... He calls it the pain-body market.

But I play some violent games like Call of Duty a fighting game, and a couple others on Playstation purely for fun. I've been playing video games with violence in them since I was very young and I've never had any issue. In fact, I am the total opposite, I am employed in the business of keeping people safe, I own a real firearm and would never shoot anyone unless I was defending my family or myself. I just play the games because they are fun (part of my NOW, you could say) and are more in depth and entertaining than card games, chess, etc... for me. But Tolle saying that has me feeling guilty like I'm doing something wrong. Once again, I'm not sure if he talks about games but he does talk about movies... I actually don't watch movies or TV much at all. In fact, I had a TV in my room since I was about 8 and it sat there and did nothing almost the entire time other than play some video games.

rachMiel

Re: Violent Movies/Games

Post by rachMiel » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:07 pm

Learner, hi. :-)

Sounds like you've been "inspired" by Tolle to explore something that might (or might not) have a dark/harmful side to it for you. That's a wonderful opportunity to learn about the workings of your self! I'd recommend not dwelling on the feelings of guilt, rather on the energy you've been given to explore a complex issue.

I'm not a video gamer, but I'm a huge fan of horror movies. So the issue you bring up is relevant for me too: Does watching all the crazed violence in horror movies move me away from awakening and/or cause me to sow (however subtly) suffering in the world? I doubt it, but now that you've broached the subject, I'll think about it. Thanks for the nudge! :-)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

Midnight

Post by Midnight » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:57 pm

I still play games like this, it never goes beyond just having fun.

Eckhart probably doesn't have alot of first hand experience with this, so don't believe everything he says. As long as you don't derive some sadistic pleasure in killing people virtually, or create an identity for yourself out of it, then its fine, go ahead!

People make too big a deal out of it, like when that kid killed someone in real life supposedly due to the game itself, (maybe this has happened on numerous occasions) - did it ever occur to them that he might just have a screw loose?

:D

nightowl

Post by nightowl » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:00 am

Hi Learner.

I'm a big fan of computer games myself (World of Warcraft in particular.) I play it differently now though. I used to get totally caught up in the various dramas of all the in-game egos. Now I make it a point to 'remind' myself every so often to remain present, as I can still feel the pull of the drama sometimes.

Learner

Post by Learner » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:08 am

nightowl wrote:Hi Learner.

I'm a big fan of computer games myself (World of Warcraft in particular.) I play it differently now though. I used to get totally caught up in the various dramas of all the in-game egos. Now I make it a point to 'remind' myself every so often to remain present, as I can still feel the pull of the drama sometimes.
You bring up a great point. In fact, I tend to do BETTER at the games when I am less "involved;" I do better when I don't get emotional/egotistical and I reserve some attention for the body. This must be because emotion clouds presence and thus my ability to play well.

Nutkins2

What about books!

Post by Nutkins2 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:12 am

Hi there Learner,

I sometimes think the same thing but with me it is violence in books. I love those archeological thrillers where the hero is looking for a lost treasure or biblical code, etc. There is always a murder in it but i don't enjoy for that of course. I enjoy the chase and finding out what this treasure/secret is. I think that i am a frustrated archeologist. They are all very Indiana Jones type of thrillers.

Godbless
Nutkins2

rachel100639

Post by rachel100639 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:12 am

This is an interesting topic. I cannot watch gratuitous violence in horror movies or playing video games. I find it extremely disturbing, frightening and sickening. I cannot watch someone or something else suffer so horribly for entertainment. I wonder if it is a generation thing or a male/female thing. Not sure. Seems that the younger generation, and I know I am generalizing, watches these things more than say, people over 40. I think people do become desensitized to this kind of violence from watching so much.
Rachel

spikyface

Post by spikyface » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:53 pm

This is an interesting topic. I cannot watch gratuitous violence in horror movies or playing video games. I find it extremely disturbing, frightening and sickening. I cannot watch someone or something else suffer so horribly for entertainment. I wonder if it is a generation thing or a male/female thing.
What I found quite strange was that there was a period of time when I was deeply in tune with life and very conscious. There were a few personality changes which I noticed occurred during this time and an aversion towards violence was one of them

Violent games, music and movies just seemed unpalateable, not enjoyable at all, like the energy the violence conveyed seemed to be so base and animalistic that it wasn't compatible with the energy of the state I was in

The REALLY odd thing is that I normally love zombie films, violent games and watching mma (mixed martial arts, kinda like cage fighting), so this was a pretty profound change
Do not take anyone as an authority on what you are. Ultimately all the answers lie within

rachel100639

Post by rachel100639 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:39 pm

Spiky,
You say this all in a past tense. Is this not true anymore?
Rachel

spikyface

Post by spikyface » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:57 pm

You say this all in a past tense. Is this not true anymore?
No, the changes lasted a few months and then I slowly reverted back to my former state

Adyashanti describes it as "I got it, I lost it" or "Non-abiding awakening" in the "End of your world":

"
The "I got, I lost it" phenomenon is the struggle as it were, between our true nature and our imagined sense of self. It means our consciousness is not yet beyond the gravitational field of the dream state of ego, and so we vacillate between our true nature and our imagined sense of self-back and forth, back and forth

This can be a very disconcerting and can feel schizophrenic in a way. We've seen the deeper reality of things and then we find ourselves back in the dream state, it's very odd because part of us knows the deeper reality, that the egoic structure isn't true, part of us knows that it's literally nothing but a dream in the mind and body

But simultaneously the gravitational force of the dream state can still be very strong, so even as we know that, we can still be believing in ego, so it's very odd knowing a thought within oneself absolutely has no validity, absolutely isn't true, simultaneously believing that it is true

It can be very disconcerting to act in a way that you know isn't actually coming from the undivided vision that you have seen, but you act that way anyway and you're almost compelled by inner forces you don't understand to behave in a way that you know is not true

There are many many examples of this, it sounds very strange and feels very confusing, it feels like a great leap backwards. How can you be in a conversation with somebody and be saying things that aren't true, that are actually coming from ego?
But now you know where they're coming from and you know that they're not true and somehow you're saying them anyway. This is very disconcerting, what's important to know is that no mistake has been made, it's just the next phase in one's awakening, it's the next unfolding

As long as you try to solve this dilemma by running back and finding that awake place, then you're actually avoiding this part of the journey

Once you realise that there's no problem here, there may be some confusion and at times this vacillation can be painful, at times very painful. In fact it's much more painful to act in a way that we know is not true, once we know it's not true

There are reasons why awakening vacillates, most of those reasons have to do with unresolved conflicts within ourself
They have to do with the remaining conditioned areas within ourself that this awakening didn't penetrate through and so therefore couldn't become totally free from

This isn't about self-improvement, it is about seeing through in oneself, what causes division

It's that which divides us inside which causes the literal, physical experience of division within us
Whatever causes that experience of division, that's what needs to be healed, because that is contributing to us staying within the gravitational pull of the dream state
"

Not sure if I wrote that for your benefit or mine
Guess the spectators will get something out of it too :lol:
Do not take anyone as an authority on what you are. Ultimately all the answers lie within

Mariposa

Post by Mariposa » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:45 am

I feel the same way as Rachel, I cannot see how this is supposed to be entertainment. For quite some time now I have been wondering why a parent would give their child a gun to play with... I don't see how violence can take place in entertainment, it must be somehow feeding the pain body, it must be part of the unconsciousness.

And about games, they surely feed the ''me'' and the separateness. Nothing to be feeling guilty about, Learner, it's all part of the same illusion we are all immerse in. If I were you, I would ask myself: is it just for fun? what is fun?

:P

I notice myself, every time I am drawn to play a video game, it comes from this feeling of ''something is missing'' and wanting to focus on something that allows me to forget that. But I'll do it anyway... for fun, knowing deep down what is going on.