psychic power and 'awakening'

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
fifi

psychic power and 'awakening'

Post by fifi » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:05 pm

Hiya! everyone :)

i appologise if this has been asked before, but do you tend to get any psychic experiences when you start to 'awaken' ? can you see the future before it is going to happen? is this related to 'awakening' , a by product of it, or something else. if not, what causes these things to happen please
thanks.

kiki

Re: psychic power and 'awakening'

Post by kiki » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:16 am

I would say that psychic experiences are just another variation of mental phenomena, though more "sexy", and therefore more interesting/exciting than the usual stuff. Are they related to awakening? In my opinion, no more so than any other mental experience. They may or may not appear to someone, awake or not; the question remains - to whom are they appearing? If there is no "me" (and there isn't) how important or significant can they be? They are just a different sort of experience that is out of the "ordinary", making them stand apart from the everyday kind of experience. They may reveal a more complex and subtle level of form, but in the end they are still appearances within the deeper reality of what You are.

I spent the better part of 3 decades pursuing such experiences, and the result was I remained fixated on something that could only be fleeting in nature; I became like a hamster on a wheel, pedaling away and getting nowhere. I used them as a kind of measuring stick to gauge how my "spiritual life" was progressing, and when I saw myself coming up short because I couldn't replicate certain experiences they became a source of suffering and confusion. It wasn't until I saw the ego entity as the illusion that it is that pursuing psychic experiences lost its appeal. If they happen fine, and if they don't it's just as fine.

The caution is this: placing too much attention and importance on them can keep you mentally trapped. Let whatever happens happen, without judgment or preference. If they hold an interest to you explore them, but be alert to investing them with an importance that can easily draw you back into some kind of identity.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:02 am

fifi wrote:Hiya! everyone :)

i appologise if this has been asked before, but do you tend to get any psychic experiences when you start to 'awaken' ? can you see the future before it is going to happen? is this related to 'awakening' , a by product of it, or something else. if not, what causes these things to happen please
thanks.

Psychic powers are not an indication or symptom of awakening.
Psychic powers may come or not come...totally unrelated to awakening.
There are many siddhis (spiritual powers) listed in Hindu philosophy and spirituality...most can be learned through practice and discipline.
You may learn to control maya (the world illusion/play) through siddhis (spiritual powers), but it will not help you trascend maya (which is awakening).
Last edited by eputkonen on Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
https://www.youtube.com/EricPutkonen

fifi

Post by fifi » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:34 am

kiki wrote:I would say that psychic experiences are just another variation of mental phenomena, though more "sexy", and therefore more interesting/exciting than the usual stuff. Are they related to awakening? In my opinion, no more so than any other mental experience. They may or may not appear to someone, awake or not; the question remains - to whom are they appearing? If there is no "me" (and there isn't) how important or significant can they be? They are just a different sort of experience that is out of the "ordinary", making them stand apart from the everyday kind of experience. They may reveal a more complex and subtle level of form, but in the end they are still appearances within the deeper reality of what You are.

I spent the better part of 3 decades pursuing such experiences, and the result was I remained fixated on something that could only be fleeting in nature; I became like a hamster on a wheel, pedaling away and getting nowhere. I used them as a kind of measuring stick to gauge how my "spiritual life" was progressing, and when I saw myself coming up short because I couldn't replicate certain experiences they became a source of suffering and confusion. It wasn't until I saw the ego entity as the illusion that it is that pursuing psychic experiences lost its appeal. If they happen fine, and if they don't it's just as fine.

The caution is this: placing too much attention and importance on them can keep you mentally trapped. Let whatever happens happen, without judgment or preference. If they hold an interest to you explore them, but be alert to investing them with an importance that can easily draw you back into some kind of identity.
thanks kiki. they are indeed 'sexy' :lol: and pretty fascinating. I can see why a lot of people place importance on them in relation to their spiritual growth.

kiki wrote...'I couldn't replicate certain experiences they became a source of suffering and confusion'. I know what you mean there,
much love

spikyface

Post by spikyface » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:11 pm

Indeed, I've read about these Siddhis and Adyashanti talks about "Spiritual Cities" but haven't met anyone who can demonstrate such abilities

Of the ones on the wikipedia page, these are the ones I'd most like to have:

aparājayah: Remaining unconquered by others
manaḥ-javah: Moving the body wherever thought goes (teleportation)

If you do look into how to go about attaining these abilities, let us know what you learn, it's an interesting subject
Do not take anyone as an authority on what you are. Ultimately all the answers lie within

fifi

Post by fifi » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:47 pm

spikyface wrote:Indeed, I've read about these Siddhis and Adyashanti talks about "Spiritual Cities" but haven't met anyone who can demonstrate such abilities

Of the ones on the wikipedia page, these are the ones I'd most like to have:

aparājayah: Remaining unconquered by others
manaḥ-javah: Moving the body wherever thought goes (teleportation)

If you do look into how to go about attaining these abilities, let us know what you learn, it's an interesting subject
yeh there are some neat ones aren't there? 8) and i feel they are all for real. 8)

@ if i aquire any super knowledge in the future, i promise i'll share all :D

spikyface

Post by spikyface » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:16 pm

Indeed, they do look like a lot of fun and the teleportation one would save an awful lot of money on travel costs :lol:
Do not take anyone as an authority on what you are. Ultimately all the answers lie within

fifi

Post by fifi » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:29 pm

spikyface wrote:Indeed, they do look like a lot of fun and the teleportation one would save an awful lot of money on travel costs :lol:
right....
lets have a psy bash :lol: me and you spikey, we'll both learn a psy power of our choice and test out our powers on each other :lol: you do theteleportation and i choose the other (being unconquored by others :lol: )

spikyface

Post by spikyface » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:15 pm

Fair enough, guess I should get a copy of the Bhagavata Purana in that case... I think Nick Sutton from OCHS was doing an online course for it a few months back

Though I doubt gaining mystical powers was on the syllabus :lol:

spikyface

Post by spikyface » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:30 am

ABORIGINAL TELEPATHY.

Remarkable Explanation.

David Uniapon, a full blooded member of the Naninjeu tribe of aborigines aroused keen interest among members of the Victorian Institute of Advertising at lunch yesterday by describing to them the method adopted by the aborigines when sending messages. over long or short dis- tances. Mr Uniapon said that ample evidence of the intelligence of the aborigine was given by his tracking powers of transmitting thought messages, and his high moral code.

When an aborigine wishes to appeal for help or to send any other message to an- other member of his, tribe he first attracts attention by a smoke signal. said Mr.

Uninpon ' The man who sees the smoke signal then strives to do a very difficult thing-to clear his mind of every thought and so to become fully receptive to messages sent to him. The man who made the smoke signal then concentrates his thoughts on the desired message and soon it is received and re-transmitted to the rest or the tribe. At night when a smoke signal

would not be seen the aboriginal waits until the person he wants to communicate with will most likely have lost conscious- ness in sleep. His subconscious mind is then fully awake and it will receive the message.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/4400765
End of quote

Considering Aboriginal culture is about 65,000 years old, perhaps this is an example of the innate telepathic ability that I heard of in India
It was said that hundreds of years ago people could communicate over great distances using only the mind, but I struggled to find any examples of it anywhere, until stumbling on this article

forgotaboutbre

Post by forgotaboutbre » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:54 am

Last Saturday night I had a dream that I was going to be on the Patio at work in the 100 degree heat on Sunday. I woke up and dismissed it as rubbish as I have NEVER had patio on Sunday. Then my mom mentioned something about getting the patio in the car on the way to work. "Nah mom, I never get that on Sunday mornings", and then I went to work and BOOM I was on the patio. Crazy!

Oh yeah, I have also materialized items out of nowhere on occasion.

goldieflower

Post by goldieflower » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:40 pm

spikyface wrote:ABORIGINAL TELEPATHY.

HI spiky! And everyone! :)

Interesting what you wrote ...

A book that struck me was "Mutant Message" by Marlo Morgan.

No one knows if it is a true story, but if it's not, it's an amazing piece of fiction.

This is what Elisabeth Kubler-Ross wrote (back cover) about it:

"The story of a courageous woman, who walked with the aboriginals and learned the wonderful secrets and wisdom of an old, old tribe. Things we all need to learn in our modern society: to get back in touch with nature, to trust and have faith in our inner knowledge and guidance. Blessings to you and to those who read this wonderful book."

Fun mind-stuff.

spikyface

Post by spikyface » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:38 pm

forgotaboutbre wrote:Last Saturday night I had a dream that I was going to be on the Patio at work in the 100 degree heat on Sunday. I woke up and dismissed it as rubbish as I have NEVER had patio on Sunday. Then my mom mentioned something about getting the patio in the car on the way to work. "Nah mom, I never get that on Sunday mornings", and then I went to work and BOOM I was on the patio. Crazy!
Hmm, I've had stuff like this happen but it usually comes down hearing something in the background where although I didn't actively hear it, it seems to have sunk in nonetheless. Afterwards it feels like some weird psychic thing but turns out to be something like this
forgotaboutbre wrote:Oh yeah, I have also materialized items out of nowhere on occasion.
Can you wee into sand then shape it into a lump of gold afterwards? That's another of the rumoured abilities I've heard some Indian jungle Sadhus have

Donna

Post by Donna » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:15 am

forgotaboutbre wrote:Last Saturday night I had a dream that I was going to be on the Patio at work in the 100 degree heat on Sunday. I woke up and dismissed it as rubbish as I have NEVER had patio on Sunday. Then my mom mentioned something about getting the patio in the car on the way to work. "Nah mom, I never get that on Sunday mornings", and then I went to work and BOOM I was on the patio. Crazy!

Oh yeah, I have also materialized items out of nowhere on occasion.
Forgotaboutbre, you've brought up how one can achieve their "special powers" if they want to..through dreams, particularly lucid dreams. I am convinced that our sleeping dreams are given to us to show, in many ways, how our waking life is like a dream. Our waking life, however, is a different dream dimension with a different set of constructs and rules. For example, one cannot physically fly (without technical help) in our waking world, yet in dreams we can do such a thing. I use flying as an example because I wake up with the most awesome feeling!

We can also learn a lot about our egos through dreams.

Remembering dreams and keeping a dream journal are first steps. Then I recommend reading Robert Waggoner's "Lucid Dreaming" book.
~*~*~*~* I love to live and live to love. *~*~*~*~