Oscillating between states of spirituality

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Natalie

Oscillating between states of spirituality

Post by Natalie » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:09 pm

Hello dear fellow members:

At times, I am invaded by a sense of awe as I observe some of the changes that have ocurred in my behavior and attitudes in the past year or so. Usually, when this feeling of awe arises and passes, what’s left is a tranquil feeling of contentment and the understanding that even the feelings of contentment and well-being are not really big deals. It feels as if life has been turned down a couple of notches or muted in a way. Nothing provokes or evokes or causes anything. Things are just the way they are supposed to be, life is dense and slow, but deliciously warm. It reminds me of the irresistible ‘toasty’ feeling I get after 3 or 4 hours of sun basking and listening to the waves crashing ashore. My levels of physical energy are usually low during these times. I don’t exercise as much, eat everything without much guilt, etc, but feel emotionally and spiritually whole. There is no worry or anxiety even as I watch the pounds pile up around my face and hips. :D . The feeling of wellbeing is organic, subtle but amazingly powerful.

I oscillate between feeling this way and feeling that everything happening around me has been infused with an overdose of joy. I find pleasure in casual conversations with total estrangers, in old daily routines like washing my hair, picking up messy rooms, watching my cat eat his favorite treat, etc, etc. It is usually during these periods that I start new exercise routines and healthier diets, work harder than usual at the office, rekindle old friendships, become active in facebook, etc. My physical energy level is higher and I become more outgoing and socially engaged. Just as the times described in the 1st paragraph, there is no worry or fear of the future, but the sense of spiritual and emotional wellbeing or completeness is not as pronounced.

I have come to accept and welcome both states. When I see that I am preferring one over the other, I mostly observe the preference and the emotions it stirs. I smile a lot during these observations, especially at the antics of my ego.

Is this oscillation between states of seemingly higher ‘spiritual wellbeing’ but less desire to engage in the play of form, and states of higher physical energy and creation but seemingly less recognition of our true nature familiar to any of you?

Looking forward to your experinces.

Natalie
Last edited by Natalie on Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

runstrails

Re: Oscillating between states of spirituality

Post by runstrails » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:14 am

I love reading your posts, Natalie. They are straight from the heart. Thanks!
I oscillate between many states all day, but I don't think about them too much anymore. The realization of my true nature is like the bedrock under all the (many) temporary states that occur during a typical day. I'm never very far away from that realization anymore and that allows a lot of freedom to experience/enjoy the different states of being and 'return home' as often as necessary too.

Natalie

Post by Natalie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:10 am

Hey runstrails....so nice to hear from you. Thanks so much for responding. I sense my ‘home base’ state is the freedom I feel by ‘knowing’ that everything I once believed about myself is fiction, and I do touch home base a few times throughout the day and yes, this knowing is like the glue that holds everything together, however, the changes in levels of physical strength and endurance described in my original post, which appear within this framework of knowing at a very deep level that I am not my life story, are quite pronounced, hence my curiosity. I feel that even this curiosity is yet another facet of the diamond of form and as such its emergence and the experience created by its manifestation are welcomed and enjoyed, but I can’t help to notice the disparity in the levels of physical strength, endurance and even enthusiasm between the two states and wonder at times if these could be caused by hormonal imbalances.

I am totally ok with the emotional ups and downs that still manage to surface. I have come full circle on these. My direct experience with their impermanence has rendered them harmless. They have completely lost their ‘boogie mannish’ powers. I don’t necessary leap for joy when confronted by ‘sad’ events, but have lost the urge to escape them.

I am more concerned with physical endurance, stamina and enthusiasm levels. Are any of the temporary states that occur during your typical day related to physical levels of energy or enthusiasm or are they mostly emotional?

Natalie

Natalie

Post by Natalie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:21 am

Hmmm it just dawned on me that I should change the title of my post from 'states of spirituality' to 'states of physical strengh and enthusiasm :?

Natalie

spikyface

Post by spikyface » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:08 pm

life is dense and slow, but deliciously warm
Indeed, that describes the glow quite well
Do not take anyone as an authority on what you are. Ultimately all the answers lie within