Help

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
dave636

Help

Post by dave636 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:34 am

I have read a few Tolle books and am hoping for some help. At the time when i read the books i was astonished at the things i learned and how to silence the internal voice. It gave me a different way of looking at life. But now i am trapped in this limbo/depressed state, cause my life seems so pointless now. Why do i work? Why try making social connections when all of it seems so fake and black and white. I feel i opened a can of worms i should have left alone, what have i done wrong?

Webwanderer

Re: Help

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:47 am

dave636 wrote:what have i done wrong?
It's not what you've done wrong. There is no such thing. There is however cause and effect. What you seem to have done is bought into the no you perspective that suggests that life is meaningless. What is intended however, is that what you have identified yourself to be - the ego - is not real, not the real you. You are not the thoughts and concepts of a separate identity that are a construct of the mind. What you truly are is infinitely more vibrant.

It is not uncommon for one who initially begins to recognize the falsity of the ego to get a little lost for a time. But if you keep looking deeper and wider for truth in being it will eventually sort itself out. Life is ultimately a beautiful experience. There is yet a great deal more to realize in the search for truth.

WW

dave636

Post by dave636 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:03 am

What is intended however, is that what you have identified yourself to be - the ego - is not real. You are not the thoughts and concepts of a separate identity that are a construct of the mind.

HandfullaMinerals

Post by HandfullaMinerals » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:16 pm

I second WW's post.

And that's coming from someone who spent 3 months in a bubble saying everything is meaningless after the first glimpse. It's very easy to jump form 1 extreme to another when you're in that state. One minute it's "life's beautiful, it's amazing to be here" the next it's "it's just a dream, pointless, may aswell die".

The ego tricks you into thinking peace = death
It is the ego which raises difficulties, creating obstacles and then suffers from the perplexity of apparent paradoxes. Find out who makes the enquiries and the Self will be found.

jack1000062

Post by jack1000062 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:07 am

When I enter the "now" total peace and love flood in. When my ego comes back in I react to lifes problems much like I did before enlightenment. The difference for me is that when I realize that I'm unconsious and acting out of my ego, I can go back into the now, hopefully before I've taken any action that I will regret. In regards to depression, I can quickly get so depressed that I have a hard time gathering the will to get out but if I put on my CD of Power of Now as soon as I hear Eckharts voice I'm O.K.

Nowna

Post by Nowna » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:01 pm

jack1000062 wrote:When I enter the "now" total peace and love flood in. When my ego comes back in I react to lifes problems much like I did before enlightenment. The difference for me is that when I realize that I'm unconsious and acting out of my ego, I can go back into the now, hopefully before I've taken any action that I will regret. In regards to depression, I can quickly get so depressed that I have a hard time gathering the will to get out but if I put on my CD of Power of Now as soon as I hear Eckharts voice I'm O.K.
I've been experiencing the same thing. If I'm "stuck" in the emotional state of my ego, even after watching it and I put on my mp3 (anything) from New Earth, my emotional state will quickly shift to peace and even joy. It's quite powerful for me. It's like an anchor - something outside of myself that helps me "return" to presence in a deeper way. I can't imagine only having the words in written form, listening to Eckhart talk is so much more enlightening/real/connected!

Speaking of which, when I first began listening to the book, I was annoyed with the chime sound and even a bit irritated with Eckhart's voice tone, then suddenly as enlightenment began within me, all changed and now I love hearing the chime and his voice - super soothing - even joyous. Amazing how awareness and peace changes perception.

WhatisMu

Post by WhatisMu » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:53 am

dave636 wrote:I have read a few Tolle books and am hoping for some help. At the time when i read the books i was astonished at the things i learned and how to silence the internal voice. It gave me a different way of looking at life. But now i am trapped in this limbo/depressed state, cause my life seems so pointless now. Why do i work? Why try making social connections when all of it seems so fake and black and white. I feel i opened a can of worms i should have left alone, what have i done wrong?
I think we Ddo open a can of worms when we begin to wake up. The funny thing is, we are all surrounded by worms even before we open a can of worms... we just dont see the worms. You could liken it to choosing pills in the movie The Matrix, without trying to seem overly dramatic. The question we need to ask ourselves is, is it better to stay asleep and suffer and not know why, or is it better to be HERE for our lives, and to face possible growing pains?

Some possible food for thought:
-Dont confuse being nihilistic with being present.
-Beware the machinations of the Ego, watch for them, shine the light of awareness on them without judging them. As ET says, "Oh, look at that....." just note that a thought arose that everything is pointless. You dont have to identify or buy into that thought.
-Give yourself time. Be gentle with yourself.

For me it isnt that I didnt feel hopeless or blue before - I wasnt at all objective about it as I am now but I still felt it & in those days I was much quicker to assign reasons to it. So, I would feel all bent and point to a REASON, something to blame, a situation or person at fault, something to fight against. Something I complained about, which bolstered my ego and pain bodies and probably seemed to make me feel I had some control.That does not work so well anymore as I am a bit better at seeing through stories and nonsense... so what does that leave? Sometimes I still feel crummy, really crummy and in the absence of a Story to explain it or blame to attach to it, it could be really easy to say that I feel this way as a result of my spriritual practice. I really dont think it is the case. I think that sometimes people feel crummy. Who knows why? Growing pains, collective pain, put any label on it and you still feel it.

Lately one of my realizations (in addition to seeing stories in new hats and those cheesey mustache and glases disguises) I have come to the understanding that I am at the center of all my problems. ME. It is my fault if it is anyones fault. I am the sole cause of all my suffering! So how can I rail and complain and fight it?? It is ALL ME. This has brought on some freedom, and also some deep blue spells as I see this and also see that my practice is not changing my habitual thoughts a whole lot yet. So I am the problem, and I cant seem to stop, LOL! Oh noooo!

The bottom line is that you are on the right path, my friend. We are all here with you, we are all sharing this same amazing experience, and we understand.
“In dwelling, live close to the ground. In thinking, keep to the simple. In conflict, be fair and generous. In governing, don't try to control. In work, do what you enjoy. In family life, be completely present.”
- Tao Te Ching

nightowl

Post by nightowl » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:12 pm

I know the feeling, even posted about it (topic 'My Life Feels so Mundane').

I found that ET's teachings took me to a point where I was aware I wasn't my thoughts, but I needed something deeper to move from intellectual understanding to actual experience.

I've started listening to/reading Adyashanti...he talks about this feeling of numbness, limbo, emptiness...it's still ego trying to disrupt things.

My experience has been that once I recognized that limbo state as just another ego manifestation those feelings began to dissipate.

Don't give up...go deeper.

xkatex

Post by xkatex » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:26 pm

I've started listening to/reading Adyashanti...he talks about this feeling of numbness, limbo, emptiness...it's still ego trying to disrupt things.
This was just what I wanted to read! I've been experiencing the same emptiness and numbness, pain, but there are intermittent experiences of joy. The scary feelings seem to just be an ego strategy to convince us that allowing everything to be as it is will mean the absence of aliveness and life.

Stick with it. You aren't alone :)

Ralph

Post by Ralph » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:50 pm

dave wrote:
But now i am trapped in this limbo/depressed state, cause my life seems so pointless now.
This feeling of numbness and emptiness is now your present state of mind because its kind of like the ego is saying, well if you think that i don't exist then look whats waiting for you..just emptiness and numbness...so forget about that and come back to me. In a way, it's fighting for its survival :(

.. but here is a secret that the ego doesn't tell you, ... when you let go of the belief in the ego, you will find peace and freedom beyond your expectations... you (true you) will see that you are free to do what you truly want, the attachment to the ego that is dictating how you live your life is no longer in control.

So, I suggest, you stop listening to your 'ego thoughts' and see what is there behind it , your ego is in the way of seeing that.

You are not the ego, this must be seen and this is where the 'aliveness' you seek will be found. The ego is still dictating and in control of your life, it even plays the role of claiming that it knows that its not the ego.. this is how sneaky it is.

So yes ... go further, find this truth that lies behind the ego 'I'.

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:39 pm

WhatisMu wrote:in addition to seeing stories in new hats and those cheesey mustache and glases disguises
:lol:
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.