A moral dilemma

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Starship

A moral dilemma

Post by Starship » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:49 pm

In Tolle's work I have found much solace, inspiration and food for (no) thought. I am trying to practise what he preaches, and to cultivate the elusive frame of (no) mind that he calls presence.

However, I discovered his teachings through Pirate Bay, of all places. I downloaded an audio-book version of TPON, and have since downloaded countless lectures, talks, recordings from retreats etc....

I haven't paid a penny for any of his wise words. I have Gigabytes upon Gigabytes and all for free. Up until now, I have been justifying this by telling myself that such a valuable teaching should not have been kept away from me for the sake of that most dreadful of all forms, money. I would never have discovered him were it not for illicit file sharing. I absolutely don't have the money to buy 'luxuries' such as audio books and the like.

What do you think? Maybe it's bad karma... I just don't know. I feel ambivalent about it, whereas a few days ago I couldn't care less. I could donate some money, but I am a very poor, struggling graphic artist.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

:)

Webwanderer

Re: A moral dilemma

Post by Webwanderer » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:45 pm

Ask yourself this: does stealing another's intellectual property bring you closer to clarity and oneness, or does it tend to make you feel more isolated and separate? It's not a matter of right and wrong, as that would be an unnecessary judgment. It is more a matter of cause and effect. What is the effect on your consciousness? What does your deeper sense tell you? Let that be your guide.

WW

goldieflower

Post by goldieflower » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:04 pm

Hi Starship and welcome! :D

Well, you could always delete everything on your computer, then go the youtube and public library route. Could be a lot of what you have is out there. Even ET gives it away:

http://www.eckharttolletv.com/free/?f=1 ... -Externals

The mind will always want something to scold you about, to keep you distracted from the inner looking.

Wake up and this will be a non-issue. I don't see karma as good or bad, but necessary lessons until we "get it."

Or so this little ego goldie-mind has surmised. :)

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:43 pm

You might adopt this perspective: while it is true that what you've obtained cost no money, has there been another cost incurred because of the way that it was obtained?

Or you might not adopt this perspective ... is ET a wealthy man?
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.

WhatisMu

Post by WhatisMu » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:26 pm

Hi Starship.

I dont know if this is going to help you or not, but this is what works for me:

Every time I have ever found myself asking if what I am doing / have done is right... I'm asking because I already know my own answer to this question.
Life is such an adventure! :D

Cheers!
Last edited by WhatisMu on Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“In dwelling, live close to the ground. In thinking, keep to the simple. In conflict, be fair and generous. In governing, don't try to control. In work, do what you enjoy. In family life, be completely present.”
- Tao Te Ching

xkatex

Post by xkatex » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:31 pm

To be fair, by the sounds of it Eckhart is wealthy - I saw an interview that said he's made like £3 million! I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you told him :L

However, pirate downloads might be contributing to the high fees for his talks, perhaps if Sounds True or whatever company (he doesn't control the prices) aren't getting enough money from talk/DVD/book sales, but I'm pretty sure Eckhart is doing well for himself. Think of the happiness your presence will bring to others - will this balance it out? You wouldn't blame a hungry child for stealing bread. You were hungry for aliveness, were you not? So you stole the bread of happiness, and I would suggest repaying the world my spreading it - then there will be more.

Having a hard copy of each of his books is very useful though - just PON and ANE, it won't be a bad investment - I assure you, you'll read them a lot!

Rick

Post by Rick » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:42 pm

I can certainly understand how it is that this dilemma came to be. Stumbling around the dark, hungry and thirsty for truth for a long time and then finding it can make one cling and hold and tend to want to possess and ingest all it can get, by whatever means it can. It is understandable but it does not make it right. I can also understand why you wrote. You have a burden you seek to unload. You have taken bread from someone because you were hungry. You have ingested it so you can not really give it back, but you can make it honorable. You can tell the man you took it from that you did so, and if he is a good man (and he is) he will have already forgiven you. You can also make restitution. You can send whatever you can honestly afford, even if it is only 2 cents, on a regular basis to the man's organization. In this way, with even 2 cents a month, you can transmute an ill gotten gain into an honorable one, clear your conscience and help the man continue helping others.
Daily life IS spiritual exercise.

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:43 pm

xkatex wrote:Having a hard copy of each of his books is very useful though - just PON and ANE, it won't be a bad investment - I assure you, you'll read them a lot!
Yeah amen to that!
Rick wrote:I can certainly understand how it is that this dilemma came to be. Stumbling around the dark, hungry and thirsty for truth for a long time
the hauntings of a hungry ghost
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.

Beliving

Post by Beliving » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:18 am

Hi Starship,

Eckhart said “your primary purpose is to awaken”.

Adyashanti mentioned “awakened values are not at all the same with moral values”. Here is a link with three free videos of his teachings. You may also find them helpful/valuable:

http://www.adyashanti.org/cafedharma/in ... file=video

I’m delighted to hear you say that you find Eckhart’s teaching “such a valuable teaching”…

Do what you feel is right for your situation for the awakening to happen through you. (One can also say that making money out of spiritual teachings is not Oneness or feels separate.) Don’t be too concerned about the rest (such as karma, etc). Everything has its place. If you are going to do something to change the situation, do it. Otherwise, it's meant to be the way it is. No need to over think about it...

Your awakening would be a wonderful reward to Eckhart as well in a way…

May peace be with you! :|

Beliving

Post by Beliving » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:39 pm

Also, Eckhart said himself that the teaching has come through him. Nobody owns the teaching(s)...