Exams, deadlines, time etc.

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
xkatex

Exams, deadlines, time etc.

Post by xkatex » Mon May 09, 2011 6:20 pm

When I become present (using the inner body) during my studies, I feel as though I am doing things more slowly. This may be because there are not so many thoughts in my head which give the impression that time is moving quickly when I am working at the same speed; or I may be doing things physically slower, I am not entirely sure. It wouldn't really matter anyway if I didn't have exams coming up. I do four essay subjects at AS level (I don't know what the USA equivalent is!), and the longest time I will ever have to write an essay in an exam situation is 45 minutes. The least amount of time is 35 minutes for my Religious Studies exam.

In presence, I think more clearly and obviously see the benefits of it, but I can't help feeling that I'm just not going to finish or that I'm doing things too slowly, because I can never truly know how long it will take me, and I seem to feel that the feeling of being hurried is what makes me able to write so extensively in an exam situation. Has anyone else experienced something similar? It doesn't necessarily have to be exams, just something you have to do in which a time pressure is imposed. Thank you in advance :)

My wish to do well at school so I can continue onto further education and study the things that I love is no longer motivated by egoic fear in general; it is because of my genuine love of the subject. It's just this one thing that ruins it with having a tight time pressure!!

ashley72

Re: Exams, deadlines, time etc.

Post by ashley72 » Mon May 09, 2011 11:46 pm

Has anyone else experienced something similar? It doesn't necessarily have to be exams, just something you have to do in which a time pressure is imposed.
At work I get caught up in pressing issues all the time. When this happens I'm automatically caught up in form. Sometimes it might be a few minutes before I realize about the present moment again. Whenever, I do get lost in form and notice I'm lost... Just noticing - brings you into consciousness again. :D
Last edited by ashley72 on Thu May 12, 2011 10:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

xkatex

Post by xkatex » Thu May 12, 2011 9:45 pm

Thank you for your post :) You're right, I guess it's just a matter of not getting sucked in. My thoughts seem to get more confused when I'm not present, so if I want clarity of mind I go into the body. I've been doing really well in my mock exams, just trying to be present and that seems to work; I guess there's something deeper I need to explore here which is the sudden lack of confidence that has arisen when it's not really rational. I seem to be looking for comfort from others who practice present and reassurance that I can still do well, and this comes from the ego really.

Any thoughts on this in general are welcome; perhaps some of you are at school or college and could comment on how presence has affected you? I know that consciousness uses everyone in different ways, as Eckhart has stated before, so some people get drawn away from school, others, such as myself, seem to become even more interested in their studies. It's just interesting to see where it takes different people :)

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:59 pm

Mind and Awareness overlap, this is why it's so perplexing for someone trying to bring more consciousness into their life. Thoughts constantly spring up all the time (1000's thoughts per day) as you go about your business. As you bring more consciousness into your life it will become clearer and you will start to notice more clarity between being unconscious and being conscious. The gaps between thoughts become a little longer. You bring more stillness into Being. Remember conscious is your deeper Being, Its always available- so it witnesses (thinking) unconsciousness come and go.

Awareness doesn't suffer, neither do I
Awareness doesn't come and go, neither do I
Awareness is open and spacious, so am I
Awareness is present during the presence of objects, during the absence of objects and beyond all objects; so am I
There are no limits, edges or borders to Awareness; none to me either.