Other teachers?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
xkatex

Other teachers?

Post by xkatex » Tue May 17, 2011 5:18 pm

Why do other spiritual teachers, such as Adyashanti and Gangaji, not mention things like the inner body? I can't help thinking that this is a manipulation of my attention and not 'true meditation'. Is the inner body something we have to let go of eventually? Or is it compatible with the other teachings? When I simply become aware of awareness, in a sense, there is stillness, but not such a sense of aliveness. I wonder if you could comment on your experiences with these two things and how they've affected you :) There is such wisdom on this forum, thank you :) Like whether you prefer the inner body, or attention without an object.

Also, could the inner body be a form of spiritual bypassing? If I don't put my attention on the inner body and do the attnetion without an object I feel an emptiness inside, and it's quite nihilistic, but it seems as though other teachers advocate facing up to that so you can move beyond it?

hanss

Re: Other teachers?

Post by hanss » Tue May 17, 2011 10:50 pm

If we forget the wisdom part I can give you my view :) When someone (a teacher or anyone else) says things like "..the only way to... is to..." I put them aside. My own experience is that when you get down to the core of it, "real" teachers say the same things. They just focus and talk more about some things and practices. Some focus on energy, some on thoughts/mind, some on love and compassion and so on. I guess they have their own taste and journey. Non-duality teachers seems to love the mind but the ones I listen too does not say that the whole Yoga tradition is nonsense or anything like that. They seem to have great respect for Buddha and Jesus but not so much for the religions. Well, enough of that.

It's definatley compatible imo. For example, I practice a lot of Qigong (focus on energy in the body) and there is a connection between the energy in my body and ....something..... Also a connection between the energy, insights and what is happening on the path. But more important, what is working for you? I can't imagine that anyone can pay too much attention on the innerbody and get stuck? Maybe someone else can fill in here. Stay focused with it constantly for a month and I'm sure you will move beyond it...

Here are some words from a master (Ken Cohen):
Qigong is a spiritual discipline, inspired by ancient Chinese shamans, Taoists, and Buddhists, all of whom sought harmony and peace in the solitude of nature. Through qigong, spiritual seekers learn to unify the qi within their bodies with "primordial breath of Heaven and Earth," the spirit and energy of the universe.
Tuning the Body and Breath induces a state of quiet awareness of whatever presents itself, whatever is happening. You are not concentrating on anything in particular, but rather on the entire field of perception and being . Ask yourself, "Can I be simple, innocent, and open, without either rejecting or prolonging any thought or sensation?" If a thought passes through your mind, just let it pass, like a cloud moving across the sky. This state of awareness is called disattachment, because you are not mentally or emotionally stuck to any phenomena.

When the mind is disattached, unburdened by memory or expectation, you can be refreshed and renewed by each passing moment.

In fact, the ability to be renewed moment by moment and to see life with fresh clarity is precisely what Buddhists call "enlightenment" or Taoists "unity with the Tao (Way of Nature)." The Buddhist Diamond Sutra says, "Awaken your mind without fixing it anywhere."
More about body energy from another view here:
http://www.think-aboutit.com/Spiritual/ ... tion_t.htm
"In today's rush we all think too much, seek too much, want too much and forget about the joy of just Being."
(Eckhart Tolle)

hanss

Post by hanss » Tue May 17, 2011 11:51 pm

I found this which I think can add some knowledge to our thirsty minds :)
Osho about the relationship of Consciousness and Energy:
"In today's rush we all think too much, seek too much, want too much and forget about the joy of just Being."
(Eckhart Tolle)

xkatex

Post by xkatex » Wed May 18, 2011 10:29 am

That was an interesting article, thank you!
you would be surprised how many doors God's temple has

That was particularly interesting...

I just worry that I'm falling into the 'spiritual addiction' that Adya talks about, becoming a bliss junkie and going into the body to avoid feelings of emptiness, is that trying to cling onto a certain spiritual state?

hanss

Post by hanss » Wed May 18, 2011 11:12 am

I can not answer anything about what is true in your case. I don't know. But I have this worry myself from the time to time. Just in other ways. Am I using spiritual practice to avoid life? Is the feeling of peace I get from resting in awareness just as taking drugs? Avoidance of emotional pain? Real spirituality IS life itself, is it not? Addicted? Yes. No way out, no way to quit. I have tried. Or is it The Source that is dragging me thru all this whether I like it or not and how many labels I put on it? My experience is that it does not matter what I do or think anymore, I'm not the driver of this boat.
(Eckhart Tolle)

xkatex

Post by xkatex » Wed May 18, 2011 10:32 pm

It's funny how the mind comes in, when we're having a beautiful sense of presence through the inner body and it goes 'is this real enlightenment? Is this the proper thing? Don't teachers say we shouldn't manipulate attention? What about emptiness? Am I spiritually bypassing?'

Presence is presence, it's beautiful. Why should we believe the mind when it is only trying to make sure it's doing the best or most spiritually advanced awakening, fuelled by the ego's need to 'know' it's doing things right. With the inner body, I don't know. I guess we should give up caring! Lol

xkatex

Post by xkatex » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:12 pm

I still struggle with this from time to time. I've recently abandoned all practices, facing up to the emptiness, and it often blossoms into aliveness. However with this it's much much easier to fall back into relative unconsciousness when I do this. However, when I practice inner body meditation, although it's beautiful and lovely, I feel less of a sense of 'no self', nor do I feel a sense of alive emptiness, it's just aliveness without any emptiness at all, and emptiness is valued a lot by spiritual teachers so I feel like I'm missing something.

Thoughts? :)

hanss

Post by hanss » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:41 am

xkatex wrote:Thoughts? :)
Yes, let go of the struggle, control and undertstanding. Relax. The Universe knows what it is doing ;)
(Eckhart Tolle)

xkatex

Post by xkatex » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:45 pm

Yeah, you're right. Thanks!

Once again, I've been avoiding the void and not giving it a chance to show me its beauty. I'm just grateful that it was only for a few hours this time!