life purpose/fear

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Pete88

life purpose/fear

Post by Pete88 » Sun May 22, 2011 10:19 am

Hi everyone!

I have a question about Tolle's ideas that I've been struggling with for a while now. His ideas have been an eyeopener, yet some things remain unclear to me. Let me explain:

Due to circumstances I became scared as a kid. I lost contact with my inner body and felt very unsafe. As a way of coping I started becoming very attached to earthly matter to keep my ego alive. I not only WANTED a lot of material stuff, female attention and a toned up body, I also started to become terrified of losing this. Afraid of becoming bald, afraid of losing my possessions, etc. In a nutshell, fear of knowing I can't control those things that I felt I needed to control to remain self-confident and keep my self image intact.

These last months I've been able to let things go A LOT. I started to experience my inner body more and more and as a result I'm letting my ego go and it feels great! The only thing I'm having trouble with is the following: After reading Tolle's work, I started thinking; What do I really want to do with my life? What's my real life purpose? I have always felt that I should do something with music. From a very young age I showed definite talent in that area and was able to touch people with my compositions. I truly believe that the feeling I'm able to transmit with music is my contribution to society. Making people laugh, cry, think, enjoy.

Even writing about this gets me excited. There's only one thing holding me back in following my heart and giving music my all. I'm terrified of losing my hearing. The more I embrace this "calling", the more fearful I become of something happening that will prevent me from doing that thing I wish to do. It feels like the same fear I described in the beginning of this post, yet this fear remains very much intact.

How should I tackle these ideas that are holding me back? What's the right way of looking at this "looming danger"?

Thank you very much for reading this.
Pete

Webwanderer

Re: life purpose/fear

Post by Webwanderer » Sun May 22, 2011 3:51 pm

Hi Pete, welcome to the forum.

I'll give you my take on the issue of purpose. Some say there is no purpose in the human experience, but I see it different. I suggest you see purpose in terms of spiritual priority. The primary purpose in life is the evolution of consciousness. To that end all experience in life needs to be framed. Whether it's pain or joy, fear or courage, the effect experience has on the evolution of consciousness is what matters most.

Secondary to that is the context in which evolution takes place. What are we drawn to in life? What careers, what hobbies, what types of relationships do we pursue? These will dictate the more specific experiences we have in order to challenge our perspective and grow in consciousness and understanding.

The teachings of Tolle and others have pointed the way to an accelerated path to that evolution through the awakening out of a purely egoic identity. Once we realize we are not what and who we 'think' we are, and that time is a mental construct that tends to keep us focused in past and future, we are free to live in the present moment as consciousness being (human) rather than a 'me' created mostly of identifying thoughts and emotions.

What you chose as a life path will be based on needs of conscious evolution. What you fear may be the wrong choice is simply the exposure of a weakness in understanding and an unfolding opportunity to gain the clarity necessary for continuing evolution. While it may not be what, in an egoic perspective, you might prefer, it is what is needed for the greater purpose of conscious growth - else it wouldn't be an issue of confusion, as the path would be clear.

WW

Pete88

Post by Pete88 » Sun May 22, 2011 4:20 pm

Thank you very much for your reply! So the way you see it is that you CAN set out goals in the physical world, though (uncontrollable and unmovable) obstacles that arise, preventing you from pursuing a goal should be welcomed as a way of the greater purpose steering you in the direction it needs you to go. Am I seeing that correctly? So in my situation, keeping in mind that I am nothing more than a small part of the greater purpose, if something were to happen which would prevent me from pursuing a music career, any sadness about this fact is my ego talking. For my inner body should recognize the event as reality and reality can't be wrong.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sun May 22, 2011 4:51 pm

Pete88 wrote:So in my situation, keeping in mind that I am nothing more than a small part of the greater purpose,
While this may be true in a sense, it may also be underselling your own value. Who can say what the importance of our part is? I prefer to see is as a 'unique' part in the greater purpose. The only thing that changes is the possible unconscious judgment of irrelevance.
So the way you see it is that you CAN set out goals in the physical world, though (uncontrollable and unmovable) obstacles that arise, preventing you from pursuing a goal should be welcomed as a way of the greater purpose steering you in the direction it needs you to go.
Not only can you set goals, it's important to do so. When it comes to obstacles, follow you inner guide. It may be that overcoming an obstacle has evolutionary value in that it strengthens our character, or it may be there is a better course as yet unseen. Watch for the intrusion of ego into the process. It may show up as fear, or stubbornness, or anger. But these exposures, and how we deal with them, may be what's more important in the evolutionary process.

Love and compassion, with self and others, is spiritual gold. If our experiences can lead us to a greater sense of these essential attributes, we can likely count them as pluses. And anytime we can increase the flow of these essential elements in our lives, evolution of conscious being is served.

WW

arel

Post by arel » Sun May 22, 2011 5:18 pm

WW - I read you here before say 'evolution of conciousness'. What is that?
What I say is only my viewpoint.

Pete88

Post by Pete88 » Sun May 22, 2011 5:44 pm

Webwanderer wrote:
Pete88 wrote:So in my situation, keeping in mind that I am nothing more than a small part of the greater purpose,
While this may be true in a sense, it may also be underselling your own value. Who can say what the importance of our part is? I prefer to see is as a 'unique' part in the greater purpose. The only thing that changes is the possible unconscious judgment of irrelevance.
Yeah you're definitely right on this. By calling my roll "nothing more than a small part" I was referring to the fact that there's no place for ego.
So the way you see it is that you CAN set out goals in the physical world, though (uncontrollable and unmovable) obstacles that arise, preventing you from pursuing a goal should be welcomed as a way of the greater purpose steering you in the direction it needs you to go.
Not only can you set goals, it's important to do so. When it comes to obstacles, follow you inner guide. It may be that overcoming an obstacle has evolutionary value in that it strengthens our character, or it may be there is a better course as yet unseen. Watch for the intrusion of ego into the process. It may show up as fear, or stubbornness, or anger. But these exposures, and how we deal with them, may be what's more important in the evolutionary process.

Love and compassion, with self and others, is spiritual gold. If our experiences can lead us to a greater sense of these essential attributes, we can likely count them as pluses. And anytime we can increase the flow of these essential elements in our lives, evolution of conscious being is served.

WW
Thank you, very clear explanation!

Pete88

Post by Pete88 » Sun May 22, 2011 5:49 pm

Arel, I believe it's the concept that the greater purpose of humanity is to eventually experience total consciousness on this planet. To do so, it's every humans "duty" to add to this growth of consciousness, by finding and as a result living in full awareness.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sun May 22, 2011 5:58 pm

arel wrote:WW - I read you here before say 'evolution of conciousness'. What is that?
Evolution of consciousness =

Increasing clarity and understanding through (in our case) a human experience.

Thomas Campbell would say lowering entropy.

One might also say incorporation of Source attributes to enhance individualized perspectives.

Consider your own experience. Are you clearer on your true nature now than you were 10 years ago? If so, how did you get there/here? Did your conscious perspective not grow/evolve to where it is now? Does it not follow then that more experience and deeper consideration might continue to improve and enhance that growing clarity?

Also consider, why are you asking me this question? Are you genuinely seeking greater understanding, or are you looking for an opportunity to make a point? Either one is okay so long as we recognize the basic motivation. One might also ask what is the origin of the motivation? Could it be an evolutionary urge expressing itself? :wink:

WW

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sun May 22, 2011 6:12 pm

Pete88 wrote: by Pete88 » Sun May 22, 2011 5:44 pm
Webwanderer wrote:
Yeah you're definitely right on this. By calling my roll "nothing more than a small part" I was referring to the fact that there's no place for ego.
While this 'no place for egos' may be true in an ultimate sense, it seems by the very prevalence of egos in humans that they likely serve some greater purpose - possibly the isolation of perspective so as to experience the nature of extremes and their cause and effect relationship to consciousness and experience. Admittedly, a work in progress.

WW

Pete88

Post by Pete88 » Sun May 22, 2011 6:17 pm

Yes I guess there is a place for ego in the world, otherwise it wouldn't exist. To rephrase my words, something inside of me is telling me there needn't be a place for ego in me. I see that ego is something that doesn't get me anywhere at all.

arel

Post by arel » Mon May 23, 2011 12:34 am

Webwanderer wrote:
arel wrote:WW - I read you here before say 'evolution of conciousness'. What is that?
Evolution of consciousness =

Increasing clarity and understanding through (in our case) a human experience.

Thomas Campbell would say lowering entropy.

One might also say incorporation of Source attributes to enhance individualized perspectives.

Consider your own experience. Are you clearer on your true nature now than you were 10 years ago? If so, how did you get there/here? Did your conscious perspective not grow/evolve to where it is now? Does it not follow then that more experience and deeper consideration might continue to improve and enhance that growing clarity?

Also consider, why are you asking me this question? Are you genuinely seeking greater understanding, or are you looking for an opportunity to make a point? Either one is okay so long as we recognize the basic motivation. One might also ask what is the origin of the motivation? Could it be an evolutionary urge expressing itself? :wink:

WW
Here is nice video of Thomas Campbell:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzrI0szTLUk

I asked this question because I was skeptical on the term and what I think you imply by it. So I asked. It is a well meaning point you are making. But to me it seems like it is more like "human evolution" that you are talking about rather then "Evolution of consciousness".

It seems that evolution happens by learning. Evolution = learning/knowing. So “evolution of consciousness” would happen by knowing it intimately. You can argue that all is consciousness including human perspective, but it doesn’t apply to the point I’m trying to make. The shift in identity seems more like evolution to me. Expressions of love and compassion are not the measure in my opinion. They can be very much egoic and selfish.
What I say is only my viewpoint.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Mon May 23, 2011 2:02 am

"Life will give you whatever experience is most helpful for the evolution of your consciousness. How do you know this is the experience you need? Because this is the experience you are having at the moment."
— Eckhart Tolle
Arel, I borrowed the above Tolle quote from Natalie's signature line. Forgive the appeal to authority, but this is a Tolle inspired forum after all.
arel wrote:It seems that evolution happens by learning.
I would agree that evolution does happen by learning. Consciousness, individualized through the unique perspective that each of us represent, is engaged in this human experience. My take is that humankind is indeed evolving, but so to is consciousness. I see the human experience as the medium through which consciousness engages itself in novel ways.
Expressions of love and compassion are not the measure in my opinion. They can be very much egoic and selfish.
Not sure about your sense of love and compassion, but if you would like to make your case that love can be egoic and selfish, it could be a useful exploration. Human beings, through their ego persona, can muddy up even the most beautiful expressions. The core energy of love however, comes from a Source beyond the human condition. Evolution, in part, is the alignment with that Source and the flow of that Love.

WW

Kutso

Post by Kutso » Mon May 23, 2011 10:12 pm

I don't like the term 'life purpose'. It seems to imply that there is something that we need to fulfill. "My life purpose is this or that... I need to do certain things to fulfill my life's purpose". This makes it a moment in time. "So, what is my life purpose then?", you might ask. Well, quite simply to be as you are right now. That is true all the time. There is never a time that you are not fulfilling your life's purpose.

I also don't care much for the term "evolution of consciousness". It somewhat implies that consciousness changes. Sure, forms come and go like shadows in front of the sun, but the sun shines all the time. Consciousness remains forever changeless.
Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Mon May 23, 2011 11:28 pm

Kutso wrote:I don't like the term 'life purpose'.

I also don't care much for the term "evolution of consciousness".
Just curious, but what do you think ET was referring to in his quote?
ET: "Life will give you whatever experience is most helpful for the evolution of your consciousness."
Or do you just think he was off base in his comments?

WW

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:38 am

How should I tackle these ideas that are holding me back? What's the right way of looking at this "looming danger"?
Have you figured out how to tackle these ideas yet? realising 'excuses' are a pre-emptive strike at 'failure' - you can't fail if you never try and if you believe these false emotions appearing real, (fear) you will never try.

I for one would love to hear your music - from what you've said its already created just waiting for manifestation. Your willingness (or not and no choice is wrong) will bring the creation to life in this world.

The ego doesn't have to be involved in creation, the temptations may be there, but you can realise music, or any creation is love expressed, no more, no less. the 'life' is in the moments but the moments are filled with creation expressing itself.

There is a wonderful quote in ANE that I ADORE, especially when I'm creating - 'I am the hole in the flute through which the Christ's breath flows, listen to the music!'

With this understanding there is no need or room for ego, but creation is love willingly expressed in bliss. This is a life full of wonderful moments to live. Fear plugs up the hole in the flute... (hope that makes you smile) whenever you think like this just unplug the hole and let the breath flow through you.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen