Thoughts and reality

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Tara

Thoughts and reality

Post by Tara » Sun May 22, 2011 4:54 pm

Hi All,

I haven't posted in a long while but am a very frequent reader :D

I understand about thoughts, letting them pass, not resisting but not attaching. And sometimes I will do the Byron Katie thing on them. So here is my question:

I have a FB account and have quite a few family members on it. Yesterday this thought popped into my head: "I wonder why my brother isn't on FB." Of course this led to the thought well he is always working, probably not his thing cause he is such a serious guy, then a little guilt hit me like I spend too much time on FB, etc, Then I let it all go.

Now I am FB friends with his wife, my sister-in-law and a couple of his kids, so it is not like I don't have any contact with them. But any ways these thoughts came and went. Late yesterday I got a friends request from my brother! So why did the thought pop in my head?

I "think" I am a very analytical person, always trying to understand all, but am working on letting that go and just be-ing...but just curious to your "thoughts." Of course this is not the first time something like this has happened :wink:

arel

Re: Thoughts and reality

Post by arel » Sun May 22, 2011 5:14 pm

:) Put 2 and 3 together, and it's a 5! Coool! If there is no 3, then it's just a 2. hmmm Yeah that happened to me too. Cool huh? :)
What I say is only my viewpoint.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Tue May 24, 2011 6:48 pm

But any ways these thoughts came and went. Late yesterday I got a friends request from my brother! So why did the thought pop in my head?
Hey Tara -- welcome back!

Thoughts...THOUGHTS! They just erupt. They can come from anywhere and then go away...kind of like cosmic rays...they just blast on through. Who knows where they come from or go to. Asking "why?" a thought arrives is like asking why blood flows. It's what they do. They "pop" into consciousness until they don't. Don't judge 'em. They just appear.

Yes, there is an exercise that Eckhart recommends (watching the mousehole), and meditation tends to calm the big thought engine (wherever it is) but the main point is to not fret about them...

And FB is no more "wrong" than using the telephone. The main question is use of time. Are you using time well?

my two cents,
Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Wed May 25, 2011 4:14 am

Tara wrote:So why did the thought pop in my head?
Tara ... just so I know I'm on the same page with you ... are you curious about the coincidence of your wondering why your brother was not on Facebook and the timing of his friend request?
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.

Tara

Post by Tara » Wed May 25, 2011 5:24 am

snowheight wrote:
Tara wrote:So why did the thought pop in my head?
Tara ... just so I know I'm on the same page with you ... are you curious about the coincidence of your wondering why your brother was not on Facebook and the timing of his friend request?
Yes wondering about the coincidence. Noticing my thoughts more and more so when something "pops" in my mind and then I guess you could say it manifests, just curious what it means... :lol: Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanx all.

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Wed May 25, 2011 6:23 am

It's a small world.

ooooo...k. you've motivated me to post the next story in that series ... I'll start working on it.

If you watch for them, strange coincidences are everywhere, and happen quite often ... and yes, I've noticed that when I'm moving while particularly still and quiet inside, things just fall into place -- the car keys and the remote just appear and annoyances both great and small seem to resolve themselves ... poof! The faster one moves and the more inner-peace one carries the more this seems to happen.

Now one rational explanation is that in todays fast-paced existence, so many things happen to us in the course of our lifetimes that unlikely events are bound to happen -- put another way, with the 13 million people in the greater New York City area, there are 13 chances for a one-in-a-million occurrence each and every day.

But contemplating non-duality reveals a philosophical limit to explanations that the mind can offer, and any explanation for synchronicity, rational or otherwise, should be approached with the same skepticism.

Some might say this is the LOA but I say be careful what you wish for. You say that you are an analytical person, and I share that with you. I am by nature a very skeptical person, but my eyes don't lie. The only beliefs that I form and use (these days I try to only put them on when needed, situationally) are based in logic, the only belief structure that I trust is science. But my eyes don't lie.

What does it mean?

Nothing other than it is a small world. Very small, all crammed into what might as well be infinite space and time ... very small, all jammed into a tiny extent with at least billions of points of consciousness ... probably many times that ... all on the head of a pin ... probably many billions of times that ... all existing in a vanishingly tiny single point.

This guyhas a REALLY far out interpretation. REALLY interesting -- we are all in someone's video game!
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.

Kutso

Post by Kutso » Mon May 30, 2011 3:51 pm

So, are the happenings of you thinking about him not having facebook and him sending you a friendsrequest connected? Well, most certainly. Both are connected through consciousness. Both happened in consciousness.
Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that.