Meditation and Mind

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Whit75

Meditation and Mind

Post by Whit75 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:15 am

Hi everyone,

Thank you for this forum!! I have been meditating for a few years now, and still find my mind restless: if I try to focus on an object (such as breath, inner body), my thoughts start up, turning and turning ("Am I doing this right?" "Should I be trying a different practice, or no practice?") etc. I basically find it difficult to still the mind -- and feel like I "shouldn't", as I have been meditating for some time (I have always had an active mind). Which practices do other members find effective? Watching thoughts, resting as awareness?

Thank you for your help, and sorry to for bring back what must be an old, old chestnut!

W

Pete88

Re: Meditation and Mind

Post by Pete88 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:58 pm

Hi! The way I see it at this stage in my own process towards enlightenment, meditation should go hand in hand with listening to thoughts that pop up, accepting them and understanding why these thoughts still prevail over momentary awareness. Don't fight these thoughts, because fighting the thoughts is yet another thought and within seconds you are completely overtaken by thoughts again.

DanWyns

Post by DanWyns » Tue May 24, 2011 2:58 pm

Meditation, like teachers, is completely unnecessary. But they are both useful tools in "kick starting" the spiritual journey.

First, ask yourself why you want to begin a spiritual journey. Then ask, are you willing to lose everything. Liberation is simple, yet it is more difficult than you can possibly imagine. It literally costs everything that you think you are. But, eventually, everyone's going to get there anyway (may not be during this lifetime though). The only thing preventing us, is ... resistance. Resistance to what is. Eventually, all that is false will fall away. As the false has no solid footing, it will eventually crumble, leaving no trace behind. All that will then remain, is ... Truth.

The self is false. The Self is Truth.

Somehow, the self split from God (don't get distracted, or assign any labels to that word. God = Truth) Our mission is to re-unite the two.

No one can tell you how that is achieved. You must find it on your own. But, silence is the place to look, because the self can not exist in silence.

I am not liberated. I still cling to the false self. So why did I write this post? I don't know. Perhaps I should wipe it all out. Just answer the question asked - meditation is as simple as breathing. But something inside me believes those words are true, so I will let them stand. Consider them, or disregard them.
Last edited by DanWyns on Tue May 24, 2011 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Part of me suspects that I'm a loser, and the other part of me thinks I'm God Almighty” - John Lennon

WhatisMu

Post by WhatisMu » Tue May 24, 2011 3:54 pm

Whit75 wrote:Hi everyone,

Thank you for this forum!! I have been meditating for a few years now, and still find my mind restless: if I try to focus on an object (such as breath, inner body), my thoughts start up, turning and turning ("Am I doing this right?" "Should I be trying a different practice, or no practice?") etc. I basically find it difficult to still the mind -- and feel like I "shouldn't", as I have been meditating for some time (I have always had an active mind). Which practices do other members find effective? Watching thoughts, resting as awareness?

Thank you for your help, and sorry to for bring back what must be an old, old chestnut!

W
Mindfullness practice, coming back to this moment, observing thoughts without judging, and being/feeling in my body during day to day life is useful for me. With regard to thoughts tied to strong emotions, the best things I have found came from ET (pain body awareness) and Byron Katie (Inquiry).

Have a fantastic day!
“In dwelling, live close to the ground. In thinking, keep to the simple. In conflict, be fair and generous. In governing, don't try to control. In work, do what you enjoy. In family life, be completely present.”
- Tao Te Ching

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Tue May 24, 2011 7:27 pm

Expecting meditation to immediately still the mind is not realistic. I practiced TM for 35 years, and still my mind was full of thoughts. We were told that no meditation session was any "better" or "worse" than another. I believe that is true. Try various techniques...eyes open, eyes closed, Vipasanna, Adya's "Ture Meditation," others. Buy a copy of Eckhart's CD "Gateways to Now," (there are some techniques on there.) The general experience is that the mind gets used to standing down after a period of time. The thoughts have less Velcro.

Candice O'Denver has some techniques also at greatfreedom dot org.

The real question is "who is meditating?" That is "self-inquiry" which was the one formal recommendation of Ramana Maharshi. Such inquiry is a "spiritual practice" in itself.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Beliving

Post by Beliving » Wed May 25, 2011 12:18 am

Here is a link to Adyashanti's True Meditation on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEWpkm0w ... re=related

Enjoy! :)

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Wed May 25, 2011 3:25 am

You have come to the right place. It is a treasuretrove in general. You are also in luck, in that there have been several recent threads on just this very issue! :shock: what a surprise! :shock: (follow the links to see!)

There are also several other interesting threads which, while not directly on point, might interest you anyway.
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.

Whit75

Post by Whit75 » Wed May 25, 2011 1:45 pm

Thank you all -- a wonderful treasure trove indeed! I have just been watching the marvellous Adyashanti video, which resonates in a big way... It recalled some of Sailor Bob's pointers for me...

:D