Nerves?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
xkatex

Nerves?

Post by xkatex » Tue May 24, 2011 4:11 pm

I had an English exam on Monday, and although I tried to be present I'm pretty sure that my nervousness got the better of me and I didn't perform as well as I could have. Do you have any tips on how to cope with the feeling when I'm actually in an exam? When I put my attention on the inner body, although I love this portal normally, it just seems to intensify it even more. I know it's just the ego wanting to do well and the painbody I guess with fears and stuff attached to it, but knowing that doesn't help the physical feeling go away and stop me from thinking clearly.

Any tips? Another exam tomorrow so would be very grateful :)

WhatisMu

Re: Nerves?

Post by WhatisMu » Tue May 24, 2011 5:31 pm

xkatex wrote:I had an English exam on Monday, and although I tried to be present I'm pretty sure that my nervousness got the better of me and I didn't perform as well as I could have. Do you have any tips on how to cope with the feeling when I'm actually in an exam? When I put my attention on the inner body, although I love this portal normally, it just seems to intensify it even more. I know it's just the ego wanting to do well and the painbody I guess with fears and stuff attached to it, but knowing that doesn't help the physical feeling go away and stop me from thinking clearly.

Any tips? Another exam tomorrow so would be very grateful :)
What thoughts are you having that cause stress? Are you in the future, thinking about not doing well? Are you in the past, thinking about other exams that didnt go well? Identify the thoughts that are behind the stress and think about what they mean to you. In that moment of going to take the exam are you truly there, taking the exam? Or are you failing the exam in your mind, and all the things that it means in your mind if you fail? Thoughts about thoughts about thoughts... and meanwhile, what is real? What is real is your butt on a chair, your lungs breathing air, your eyes seeing what they see, your shirt on your back, a pencil in your hand, your arm on the desk.... do you see? Keep redirecting your thoughts to what IS.

What IS is never stressfull. ET says we should ask "what is the problem NOW?" There is never a problem now. :)
“In dwelling, live close to the ground. In thinking, keep to the simple. In conflict, be fair and generous. In governing, don't try to control. In work, do what you enjoy. In family life, be completely present.”
- Tao Te Ching

xkatex

Post by xkatex » Tue May 24, 2011 5:34 pm

Thank you for your response. I see what you're saying, but it's not even thoughts anymore; I don't get thoughts such as 'you're going to fail' or 'what will the question be' it's just a horrible feeling in my stomach and sweaty palms and shaking. It almost seems purely physical now, but I suppose there isn't much I can do to make it go away, I've just got to let it be there?

WhatisMu

Post by WhatisMu » Tue May 24, 2011 6:24 pm

xkatex wrote:Thank you for your response. I see what you're saying, but it's not even thoughts anymore; I don't get thoughts such as 'you're going to fail' or 'what will the question be' it's just a horrible feeling in my stomach and sweaty palms and shaking. It almost seems purely physical now, but I suppose there isn't much I can do to make it go away, I've just got to let it be there?
I would bet that you have thoughts you arent aware of associated with these feelings of anxiousness. Try experiencing this, really feeling what you feel. FEEL the sweaty palms, feel the fluttery stomach. Now, dont confuse FEEL with FEED. Dont feed, it, just experience it. Then give it a voice. Maybe write down what your feelings would say if they had a voice. Dont try to make it go away, if it is here, now, it is reality and is your teacher. How much can you learn from you? Your thoughts are often the cleanest teachers. Learn what is between you and the now, and observe it, and let it go.

And above all, realize that coming back to this moment, where things are fine, is the practice for you. A young person sitting in a desk. Butt on chair. Air in lungs. Pencil in hand. These things are all that is real. Come back to them.

Cheers, my friend.
“In dwelling, live close to the ground. In thinking, keep to the simple. In conflict, be fair and generous. In governing, don't try to control. In work, do what you enjoy. In family life, be completely present.”
- Tao Te Ching

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Tue May 24, 2011 6:55 pm

Wise words, Whatismu!! Especially the distinction between "feel" and "feed."

I have found that spending a minute or two with rising "feelings of anxiety" (ie getting into the feeling itself, letting it flow, allowing it fully to have its little moment) serves to dissipate it. I actually get almost "bored" with it. Moreover, denying and trying to "repress" it doesn't work...it needs to blossom, thrash around, and then live out its entire lifespan unrepressed. And that lifespan is about 90 seconds...

Just my experience...

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

xkatex

Post by xkatex » Tue May 24, 2011 6:59 pm

Thank you so much for your words of advice :) I won't try to manipulate my attention in any way tomorrow, Adyashanti style :p so I'll be able to notice my thoughts and discern that they aren't true :)

And sighclone, you're right, and ninety seconds is nothing off the exam time if it's going to improve the quality of my work afterwards :) thanks so much

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Tue May 24, 2011 7:01 pm

You are welcome. You will do very well on the exam!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

WhatisMu

Post by WhatisMu » Tue May 24, 2011 7:05 pm

Sighclone wrote:You are welcome. You will do very well on the exam!

Andy
Ditto - let us know how it goes!
- Tao Te Ching