Have you experienced this feeling too?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Seeker1977

Have you experienced this feeling too?

Post by Seeker1977 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:22 pm

Hi,

I gained a very interesting experience today that I would like to share with you - and find out whether any of you experienced something similar?

Some background info first (I don't know if this has anything to do with the "phenomena", maybe it was just coincidence): For the first time, I joined the World Meditation Day's (http://www.worldmeditationday.com/) monthly "7-8pm on the first Sunday of the month"-meditation. I used the meditation offered on the website (downloadable from there). This time a few things were different from my regular meditations (maybe the effect of the power of others meditating the same way at the same time?) (Sorry about the many quotation marks, I cannot really always find the best words when talking about such topics.)

1) I felt some kind of "incoming and then outspreading" enthusiasm during meditation, about 5-10 times for maybe 15-30 seconds each time. I don't know the object of this enthusiasm, i.e. I could not determine what I was enthusiastic about. I was enthusiastic "just because". But this enthusiasm was clearly felt coming into me from some undeterminable "place" and then spreading out from me into some other (or maybe the same) undeterminable "place". I hope this makes sense to you, hard to explain :-) During my regular meditations I did feel joy and happiness, but this was different. Those are "calm and cool joy and happiness" while this was an "energetic, vivid and exciting joy and happiness". It think enthusiasm is the nearest word. Have you ever felt that kind of feeling during meditation? What does it mean?

2) I also felt (again, about 5-10 times for maybe 15-30 seconds each time) some kind of energy that was me but also it was bigger than me. I felt it all around me, but I was "scattered within it all around". It was not an "out-of-body" experience (I never truly had any of those yet). I knew I was in my body, I could not see myself from the outside or any such thing, but I felt this energy (or field, or vibration, or something like a matterless cloud) all around me, that was actually felt to be the same as me. Huh, I hope this makes some sense, very hard to explain. Also, I felt that I was all around, so "me" (or "I" or "self") not ended at my skin but was all out there. Anybody with same experience? Any meaning of this (if there's any meaning or anything to understand at all)?

3) This one is maybe the most weird. We normally think thoughts and feel feelings. But have you ever felt a thought? This describes most closely what also happened with me during my meditation today, for about 1-2 minutes continuosly (could be much less or more, hard to feel the time while meditating). I felt some kind of "energy" growing and I know it will grow beyond a point and then something wonderful will happen. Now I can say (write) this, as it is already a thought in my mind. But at that time, when it emerged during my meditation, it was no thought. It was a feeling. For a minute or longer just a feeling that had information without any thought regarding it! I knew this information, by feeling it, without having any thought about in my mind. (Around the end of this "feeling the thought without having a thought-session" the first thought that I had about it was that "wow, this is something weird", but still then I did not have the words in my mind that I wrote above. Any idea/experience about this?

All three experienced "things" were joyful and happy, I loved them. But I would also like to understand (if possible to understand this with my mind) what has just happened.

Thanks
“Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.” -- Buddha

Seeker1977

Re: Have you experienced this feeling too?

Post by Seeker1977 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:35 pm

Anybody? :-)

xkatex

Post by xkatex » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:44 pm

I can definitely relate to what you've experienced regarding the 'feeling' of thoughts; I often literally feel their impermanence, and their fading into the nothingness from which they came. It's a relief to realise they aren't me! :)

Ralph

Post by Ralph » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:51 pm

seeker1977 wrote:
All three experienced "things" were joyful and happy, I loved them. But I would also like to understand (if possible to understand this with my mind) what has just happened.
You will never understand this with the mind because what occured was beyond the mind and this all happened when the mind was not present.

So, sorry, you (mind) are out of luck. :(

Seeker1977

Post by Seeker1977 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:40 pm

Thank you both.

WhatisMu

Post by WhatisMu » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:05 pm

Hi there.

Not sure if this will be helpful to you or not, but most experienced meditators will tell you to not hold onto or be concerned about expereinces that may happen when you are meditating. This is where the saying "if you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha" comes from.

Have a great day!
“In dwelling, live close to the ground. In thinking, keep to the simple. In conflict, be fair and generous. In governing, don't try to control. In work, do what you enjoy. In family life, be completely present.”
- Tao Te Ching

Seeker1977

Post by Seeker1977 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:44 pm

WhatisMu wrote:Hi there.

Not sure if this will be helpful to you or not, but most experienced meditators will tell you to not hold onto or be concerned about expereinces that may happen when you are meditating. This is where the saying "if you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha" comes from.

Have a great day!
Thank you. That is exactly what another forum member had already suggested to me, and I will take it on board.