Pain Body

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Pain Body

Postby phonehome » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:03 pm

Would somebody please explain the "pain body" concept for me? I read "Power of Now" a couple of years ago and, honestly, never quite got what ET was getting at with that. I leant out my copy to someone (MISTAKE!) and so can't go back to re-read it. Thanks for any help.
phonehome

Postby a_friend » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:21 pm

well, "pain body" is just a term, another one of those things that points to something else. In my own experience, if i experience pain (physical, emotional, whatever) and i proceed to identify with that pain, i do things and think things that i wouldn't normally do or think if i was in my right mind. That is, if someone says something mean to me and i believe that i have lost something because of that meanness, i will react with some sort of defense or counter-attack. I might try to hurt that person back, or hurt myself, or hurt some innocent bystander or something. Or i might try to defend myself and say you're wrong, what you're saying isn't true. However, if i'm able to watch that pain without identifying with it, I will continue to behave and think in a normal, healthy fashion. Now, maybe the action that follows *will* be some kind of defense, or maybe i'll just turn the other cheek. But it will not be reactive. It will not be done out of some sense of loss. The action that follows will be motivated by love and acceptance (saying "yes" to what is and all that good stuff)

ET gets all into this stuff about the energy of pain vibrating at lower frequencies and stuff. To tell you the truth, i don't really understand anything about that (yet). Has anybody else understood all that vibration stuff?

a friend
a_friend

Postby phonehome » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:31 pm

Thanks, friend. So the pain body is primarily an emotionally driven and reactive (what? entity?) that--for me, anyway--runs pretty much on "automatic pilot," unless we really slow down and observe how our minds are reacting to outside stimuli. Is that right? Wow, that's hard. And I can see how staying as present as possible would be key when those stimuli arise. Thanks again.
phonehome

Postby a_friend » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:51 pm

sure, an entity, that's good. Or an energy field if you like. Or you might even call it a mindset or a belief system. As i understand it, "pain body" is this autopilot thing you are talking about. And in some ways, it is very hard to slow down and observe your response to pain. But the more i do it (awareness, not identifying with pain/loss), the more insane autopilot seems to me. And don't get me wrong, there are still lots of times i find myself reacting unconsciously. But i think i would literally have to force myself to react unlovingly in certain situations.

a friend
a_friend

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:12 pm

Although pain bodies come in all kinds and sizes, say from karmic to current, there's one in particluar that helped me to understand it, and that's connected to certain sh*t related to family and upbringing. When we were small we were "trained" by our families, as they had been trained be theirs. Lots of behaviors, ego based and such, lots of self-talk was learned to the point that it just was. When we become conscious of it, we can see how this thinking - unconscious thinking, brings us pain. I think of my country, USA, and the huge pain body related to pride and duality that goes on.

Phonehome, I too couldn't quite get a grip on the concept until I began see how I feel things on an energetic level. In reading Power vs Force by David Hawkins, it all becomes very clear, the vibrational quality of what goes on.
HTH

opps, that was me, the delinquent logger inner - Heidi

Postby phonehome » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:39 pm

Dear Friend and Heidi,

Thank you both for elucidating this so well for me. I am particularly struck by the idea of a country having a pain body. Remarkable and so true. I hate to say it, but I feel like my country's pain body could use a complete and thorough massage (yep--US), to get all the tension out and stop being so reactive and so aggressive.

Thanks again.
phonehome

Postby summer » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:54 am

Hi phone home,
my experience of the pain body feels like a heavy, yucky," Ahhhh....I can't take this anymore"
Now that Eckhart has brought it to my attention, I recognize it as the feeling that PMS brings on. You go to sleep one night feeling fine, and you wake up feeling like a monster :)

It has all the qualities of 'being possessed'

Thoughts are very negative and reactive. The slightest thing will make me very pissed off. As if you are looking for trouble.
Which you are.
The pain body likes suffering. For me it is centered in my solar plexus area and it triggers mental thoughts of anger, frustration, and general victimhood.
It lasts a short while, and then poof!
I feel like myself again :)

Pretty crazy stuff. But as we recognize it in ourselves it loses a lot of it's power. And we are able to observe when it is operating in others, and not get sucked into their negativity so easily.

What is your sense of your pain body?
summer

Postby erict » Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:53 am

"As long as you are unable to access the power of the Now, every emotional pain that you experience leaves behind a residue of pain that lives on in you. It merges with the pain from the past, which was already there, and becomes lodged in your mind and body. This, of course, includes the pain you suffered as a child, caused by the unconsciousness of the world into which you were born.

This accumulated pain is a negative energy field that occupies your body and mind. If you look on it as an invisible entity in its own right, you are getting quite close to the truth. Its the emotional pain-body. It has two modes of being: dormant and active. A pain-body may be dormant 90 percent of the time; in a deeply unhappy person, though, it may be active up to 100 percent of the time. Some people live almost entirely through their pain-body, while others may experience it only in certain situations, such as intimate relationships, or situations linked with past loss or abandonment, physical or emotional hurt, and so on. Anything can trigger it, particularly if it resonates with a pain pattern from your past. When it is ready to awaken from its dormant stage, even a thought or an innocent remark made by someone close to you can activate it.
Some pain-bodies are obnoxious but relatively harmless, for example like a child who won' t stop whining. Others are vicious and destructive monsters, true demons. Some are physically violent; many more are emotionally violent. Some will attack people around you or close to you, while others may attack you, their host. Thoughts and feelings you have about your life then become deeply negative and self-destructive. Illnesses and accidents are often created in this way. Some pain-bodies drive their hosts to suicide." -- The Power of Now
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby heidi » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:14 pm

Thanks for that, Eric. I just read the other threads, and this one and a friend's oil and water marriage one are branches of the same tree.

I've found in consciousness, my biggest pain bodies reveal themselves with the "help" of family members such as my sister. I have stopped trying to understand it, but am able to recognize it when it happens. Now, releasing judgement of it is another story...\ :roll: Oh, and so much of the painbody itself stems from exactly that - judgement! How's that for a paradox for you? 8)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

pain body

Postby phonehome » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:57 pm

Yes, Summer--"like being possessed," exactly. And "looking for trouble." That phrase hit a responsive chord. I have so much to be thankful for and happy about in my life. So why, at times when I should be most content, does something in me act like such a pain in the butt, grouchy and malcontent and hurting people I love?

Thanks, all, for clarifying the pain body idea for me. It's encouraging to hear that you all have dealt with the little bugger, too and that the way to deal with it is just to observe it and not identify with it.

I am so grateful for this forum, I can't tell you how much.

Phonehome
phonehome

Postby summer » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:14 am

Phone home wrote
I have so much to be thankful for and happy about in my life. So why, at times when I should be most content, does something in me act like such a pain in the butt, grouchy and malcontent and hurting people I love?

I was just thinking the same thing myself :)
I was out hiking in the hills. It's a gorgeous day, and in between moments of joy and exhiliration, the mind chirps in with some old gripe that happened four years ago!!!!

Figure that one :lol: Oh well. What else can we do but be patient and as loving with ourselves as we can.
This too will pass.
summer

Postby heidi » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:48 am

Summer said:'...exhiliration, the mind chirps in with some old gripe that happened four years ago!!!!"

That's the ol' ego flexin' his muscles. And yes, my ego is quite masculine.

Best thing about getting conscious is that you have awareness of it now. I often say to myself - what's that all about?

Now here's a little sidebar to this offshoot on this thread. Here we are becoming one and less dual - and we regognize the ego almost as if it's separate from us. As I just said - mine's very male. This may be off topic but anyobody out there feel that their ego is female? Inquiring minds ha ha would find this very interesting :lol:
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Return to Questions