Need a perspective

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Dan_

Need a perspective

Post by Dan_ » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:19 pm

What perspective should I have when I find out that someone has deliberately done things to harm my interest. This happens at work when people back stab, or family members who do things deliberately to put obstructions in my path. These things get me very angry and sometimes I feel helpless in some situations.
Thanks
Dan_

Webwanderer

Re: Need a perspective

Post by Webwanderer » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:43 pm

There is nothing you 'should' do nor perspective to have. However, I suggest that you find your sense of presence and act from clarity - that is to act (or not act) in accordance with what brings you the most peace in any given circumstances. You cannot control what another does, but you can see it for what it is. The issue is, what is doing the seeing? The imaginary identity of ego, or the essential perspective of aware presence? Regardless of the backstabbing of others, if you gain clarity in the process, it is reason for thanks.

WW

Ziendus

Post by Ziendus » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:59 pm

There is no one deliberately doing things to harm your interest.
Every act that is done is a happening, not caused by a person,
but by an infinite history of causes.
The believe that persons are doing harm to others is also a happening,
not caused by someone, but by an infinite history of causes.
---ooOoo---

mmy

Post by mmy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:55 am

Dan_ wrote:This happens at work when people back stab
I just keep telling myself they can't touch what is real.

HandfullaMinerals

Post by HandfullaMinerals » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:31 pm

My 2 cents

There are times when people do something that obstructs you, but their intentions were good.

There are times when people do something that does NOT obstruct you, but their intentions were bad.

Bottom line is, you do not know what they are doing, nor do they.

Someone intends something for you, it's likely that they will project their self onto you, imagine what would be good/bad, then act accordingly.

I hope some of this is useful
It is the ego which raises difficulties, creating obstacles and then suffers from the perplexity of apparent paradoxes. Find out who makes the enquiries and the Self will be found.

Dan_

Post by Dan_ » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:40 pm

Hi Webwonderer:
You wrote" that is to act (or not act) in accordance with what brings you the most peace in any given circumstances."
Write now I feel like getting back at a few people. Thinking about ways of getting back gives me pleasure and peace. But revenge is also not a recommended by many wise teachers. So what is the alternative?
Thanks four response.
Dan_

Ralph

Post by Ralph » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:04 pm

Revenge just puts you in the same position as they are ... but this time , you are the bully. :evil:

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:23 pm

Dan, as life is about learning from experience, if you feel like getting back at someone will indeed bring you pleasure and peace, maybe you should go for it. See if the pleasure and peace you are expecting actually holds up to actual experience. Of course you can always do the proper thing (whatever that is) as suggested by the masters; but if you really can't get a sense of why this is best, then rely on that best of all teachers - direct experience.

Maybe however, you don't have to actually engage in some vengeful get-back. You can simply search your memory about the times you exacted revenge on someone in your past and see how you still feel about it. Maybe such past experience can be your guide. Does it make you feel closer to love and oneness with life, or does it make you feel more isolated? If you really do feel good about it then continue the experiment. Just be honest with yourself about your deeper feelings - the ones you feel when you're quiet and can hold your actions up as a testament to your character, or at least have no need to justify whatever actions you take.

Let us know how it goes.

WW

Dan_

Post by Dan_ » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:47 pm

" Does it make you feel closer to love and oneness with life, or does it make you feel more isolated? "

Hello Webmaster,
I know revenge is not the recommended path of all the masters. Revenge does make me feel temporary happiness in my thoughts and at the same time I am more isolated. Whenever I have found resolution with equanimity I have found peace too.
thanks
Dan_

Dan_

Post by Dan_ » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:56 pm

Ziendus wrote: The believe that persons are doing harm to others is also a happening,
not caused by someone, but by an infinite history of causes.
Thanks Ziendus, it makes sense.
Sometimes I wonder whether a person who thinks like a victim might produce circumstances in life in which he or she is victimized by others.
Thanks to all who responded to my questions.
Dan_