Church

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
a_friend

Church

Post by a_friend » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:39 pm

I have another big question for you guys. I've spent my whole life attending church very regularly. In fact, its been one particular church that i've spent most of my time at. I love everyone there, and consider them to be kind of like my extended family. But i've always been sort of a black sheep. Even when i was in junior high i was reading eastern philosophy, studying other religions, learning about other cultures, and that kind of stuff. Nobody else there is really open to different ways of life, different beliefs, or anything like that. While the people there are generally fairly loving, you might say they are also fairly rigid and closed minded. So there's nobody there that i can really talk to about any "spiritual experiences" i've had, or how i really interpret the sayings of Jesus, or how I really live my life.

For several years, this has been a bit of a problem for me. But i have always stayed at this church thinking that my purpose there was to "open things up a bit" or to show the kids there that maybe there's something their parents aren't telling them. I'm not feeling that way so much anymore. I want to find other people with whom to share my experience, and who can maybe guide me a bit, because i have no freakin idea what i'm doing, hehehe. And maybe some other people with whom i can make a positive contribution to a community.

So i'm not exactly sure what my question is. I guess its something like, do i really need to leave my church in order to get what i want? Is it possible to stay in my church and still lead the life i feel pulled towards? Should i just drop church altogether and find out what comes my way? I don't know, what do you guys think?

thank you,
a friend

heidi

Post by heidi » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:03 pm

As with anything - take what you need and leave the rest.
:D
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

phonehome

Church

Post by phonehome » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:40 pm

Hi, Friend.

Heidi said it very well and succinctly: Take what you need and leave the rest.

I'm a churchgoer, too, so I can relate. No, I don't think you HAVE to "drop church" or even that you want to--seems like you're getting something out of it. You say you love the people there, so keep loving them!! I've found that life's a lot more fun when it's shared with people who think and believe differently than myself. I have a brother-in-law whose values, politics and beliefs are almost universally diametrically opposed to my own; so it never ceases to amaze me that he's the one person in my family I cherish most--because he's just a really decent, good person underneath all the flag-waving, NRA-flaunting, conservative wierdness. And the best Christian I know is an atheist!!

As you know, Jesus' teachings are not at all out of line with Eckhart Tolle's, either. In fact, they line up perfectly.

Finally, remember that you also have this cyber-community for support. And we're not chopped liver!

Good luck, friend.

Phonehome

a_friend

Post by a_friend » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:29 am

No, you guys aren't chopped liver! You guys are the best! I'm very grateful to have some people out there to help me out and for the others that I might be able to help out every now and then.

thanks guys :)
a friend

now-here

Post by now-here » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:01 am

No surprise there in regards to your initial post....
People enjoy the 'security' in knowing that "their" God is the true God. Eckhart has commented on this.

phil

Post by phil » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:59 am

Hi a-friend,

One way to go is to be ourself, as honestly as we can, with whoever we're with.

No matter who we are, what we think, how we act etc, some folks will like us, and some won't. Fact of life.

If we can be ourself, the people who don't like who we really are will split. The people who remain will like us, how we really are. Tidy!

There's no image for us to maintain, which goes a long way towards helping us relax, and that makes us even more appealing. People like people who like themselves, because that's what everybody really wants.

If we don't show ourselves to the world, the wrong people leave, the wrong people stay, big mess.

Be yourself, your friends will stay, the others will go, and you wind up in the end with a room full of nothing but friends. The realer you are, the realer the friends will be.

Best of luck!

L. Bryson

Post by L. Bryson » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:55 pm

Well said Phil,

Most of my friends and I have a pact, total support for all on this journey.
No judgement. I joke that unless I tell them I am going to invest in a heroin cartel ( I would not expect support of this choice :) ) acceptance is mandatory. As we evolve certain people come and certain people go accordingly. It's a natural process. Resist nothing.

L.
L. Bryson

Mal2

Post by Mal2 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:13 am

Don't try to change things from within in any overt fashion.

Let your presence within the church be a beacon guiding those around you to the TRUTH.

Egoicmidget

Post by Egoicmidget » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:46 pm

All your answers will come from your inner stillness because when you introduce questions there, your answers will echo back and you'll be recieving answers from a much higher intelligence then that which exists here.
That is- the pointers we can offer might be useful but devine answers come from devine places within and without.

The mind noise keeps the answers beyond our capacity to hear or understand. Answers may take on the feeling realm and quietly devulge themselves when you least expect them to.

I think the Bible states paraphraing"Be still and know that IAM.

John