Why do you want to realize who you are?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
damc

Post by damc » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:29 pm

Ziendus

Re: Why do you want to realize who you are?

Post by Ziendus » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:05 pm

Why do you want to know that ?
---ooOoo---

damc

Post by damc » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:26 pm

Because I just don't know and you do this. So it musts be something interesting in who you are or what happen when you realize who you are. And I want to know what it is because then I'll know if I want too.

Kutso

Post by Kutso » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:34 pm

damc wrote:Why do you want to realize who you are?
damc wrote:Because I just don't know and you do this. So it musts be something interesting in who you are or what happen when you realize who you are. And I want to know what it is because then I'll know if I want too.
Sages through the ages has spoken about Self-realization as the end of suffering, as being whole, as being without desires, as being in total happiness. Would you want that?
Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that.

damc

Post by damc » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:01 pm

Yes, so what should I do now?

And how can realizing who I am make me happy and so on? How does it work?

Kutso

Post by Kutso » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:15 pm

damc wrote:Yes, so what should I do now?
Hard to say. It all depends on your level of understanding. May I ask, have you read "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle? Also, have you done any form of meditation before?
And how can realizing who I am make me happy and so on? How does it work?
Wise people say that by realizing who you truly are, you will see that you are not the limited person you take yourself to be. That you are really truly without limitations. This realization brings the understanding that you are happiness itself. That it is not something you can make yourself be, because you are that happiness already, but because of false ideas, you believe yourself to be not happy. That you are suffering.

damc

Post by damc » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:44 pm

Thank you for the answers :D
Kutso wrote:Hard to say. It all depends on your level of understanding. May I ask, have you read "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle? Also, have you done any form of meditation before?
Yes, I have. I've read also "Practicing the Power of Now" and practice things from this book, especially inner body. I feel my inner body almost all the time.
Last edited by damc on Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kutso

Post by Kutso » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:45 pm

damc wrote:Yes, I've read. I've read also "Practicing the Power of Now" and practice things from this book, especially inner body. I feel my inner body almost all the time.
I see. The very best practice, when it comes to Self-realization, is considered to be Self-enquiry. Asking questions like "Who am 'I'?" and "To whom does this appear?" is Self-enquiry. One can also concentrate on the sense of "I am" inside.
It is basically putting ones attention on oneself. You have to try it out and see what works best for you. I myself, for example, find that stating "Also this is known by..." and not finishing that sentence with an answer, is the best way for me to put attention on the Self .
It is important to remember that one is not looking for an answer from the mind. One is not just to find an answer and then "Oh. Now I know", and then it's done. No, the primary goal with this is to redirect attention from things and objects to ones own Self. When all else is excluded as "not me", what is left is your very own Self.

If you want to read something, I suggest you take a look at a book called "I AM THAT", which is filled with conversations with the indian guru Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj. I found that book very helpful in the beginning of my search.

damc

Post by damc » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:32 pm

Thank you.