Control and Delusion....

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Elle

Control and Delusion....

Post by Elle » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:01 am

It appears to me that the ultimate delusion is control... I just wonder where does that put "the law of attraction" and such.... it's such a hard pill to swallow that life moves as it does regardless of our ideas....

18andlife

Re: Control and Delusion....

Post by 18andlife » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:18 am

Elle wrote:it's such a hard pill to swallow that life moves as it does regardless of our ideas....
It's hard to swallow if you are under the delusion that the you which moves is somehow different from the life which moves. Once they are recognised as one movement delusion subsides and there is no other to control or to be controled.

Plorel

Post by Plorel » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:38 am

I just wonder where does that put "the law of attraction" and such
Its the ego's ultimate fantasy...
Who am I without my story?

Elle

Post by Elle » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:05 pm

Plorel wrote:
I just wonder where does that put "the law of attraction" and such
Its the ego's ultimate fantasy...
Care to expound?

Plorel

Post by Plorel » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:39 pm

Care to expound?
The ego believes that if it had the the means for abolute control over life, namely the law of attraction, it would also have the means to achieve absolute happiness, as it equates happiness with getting what it wants. The ego doesn't understand that getting what we want doesn't make us happy. Happiness is rather something that arises from our innate nature, from being who we are.
Who am I without my story?

unbornawakened

Post by unbornawakened » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:29 pm

Elle,

As I have read through this thread trying to come up with an answer, none came. All answers seemed flawed. I wonder if the question is flawed ? Maybe "I" am flawed ?

After going through decades of asking spiritual questions and seeking answers ... it seems like a futile search.

Practice presence. Do what you like. Learn from mistakes. Have some goals and activities that you feel congruent with. Take care of your body.

The dream may come to an end one day :)

I like your posts though ... keep asking questions :lol:

I like you :D

Kutso

Post by Kutso » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Hello Elle,

Interestingly enough, we are at the moment discussing this very thing in this thread:

http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... 2&start=90

Free will, in my view, is ultimately an illusion, since I am the knower of the world and the world work in a cause and effect-like manner.
Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that.

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:13 pm

You know what I find really really amusing is that one need not look to the concepts that surround awakening to see that control is an illusion ... this was a concept I subscribed to long before I had the benefit of the realizations available here.
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.

Kutso

Post by Kutso » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:27 pm

snowheight wrote:You know what I find really really amusing is that one need not look to the concepts that surround awakening to see that control is an illusion ... this was a concept I subscribed to long before I had the benefit of the realizations available here.
I think I see what you mean, but could you please elaborate a bit. :)
Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that.

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:51 pm

Kutso wrote:
snowheight wrote:You know what I find really really amusing is that one need not look to the concepts that surround awakening to see that control is an illusion ... this was a concept I subscribed to long before I had the benefit of the realizations available here.
I think I see what you mean, but could you please elaborate a bit. :)
Behold the rich and powerful. Where are they going? Where do all roads lead?

To what end does one toil? How far should one go to achieve one's ends? On what basis is the (apparent) decision of restraint made?

How tragic it is when the insulating effort of a lifetime is stripped away in seconds by an accident or in hours by the fury of mother nature ... what does one need to do to be secure?

Has any civilization in the sweep of history avoided the seemingly inevitable perils of social decay, war, famine or pestilence?

We rest on these temporary islands of tranquility that we seemingly claw out of the ocean of chaos that is our existence and delude ourselves into juxtaposing what is normal from what is contrived.

It sure helps to have a sense of humor about it all. :lol:
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:36 am

snowheight wrote:It sure helps to have a sense of humor about it all. :lol:
Totally agree Bill.. humor is a must.

Actually after reading your post... A thought spontaneously arose with some funny mental imagery....telling the story about a Japanese fisherman, preparing his fishing gear... He appears deeply absorbed in dominant thoughts, vainly manifesting mental imagery of a big catch that day... completely unaware a massive tsunami wave has suddenly appeared on the horizon. :lol:

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:39 am

ashley72 wrote:
snowheight wrote:It sure helps to have a sense of humor about it all. :lol:
Totally agree Bill.. humor is a must.

Actually after reading your post... A thought spontaneously arose with some funny mental imagery....telling the story about a Japanese fisherman, preparing his fishing gear... He appears deeply absorbed in dominant thoughts, vainly manifesting mental imagery of a big catch that day... completely unaware a massive tsunami wave has suddenly appeared on the horizon. :lol:
Good one Ash.

That tuning out of what is in front of us seems a symptom of the primary delusion that Elle is pondering here. It takes a sudden apparent tragedy for most of us to confront how incredibly fragile the position of a person is ... and mostly these opportunities to see things as they are squandered and papered-over with balms and salves ... but on the other hand, who would deny the fisherman's widow some sympathy?

Namaste,

Bill

Ziendus

Post by Ziendus » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:56 am

Snow:
> who would deny the fisherman's widow some sympathy?

Said the handsome and kind wharf-owner, who married her after a while.
---ooOoo---

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:05 am

Ziendus wrote:Snow:
> who would deny the fisherman's widow some sympathy?

Said the handsome and kind wharf-owner, who married her after a while.
:D

rontant

Post by rontant » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:34 am

Does the dog wag the tail or the tail wag the dog?