''voice-voices in our heads''.....???

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Natalie

Re: ''voice-voices in our heads''.....???

Post by Natalie » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:55 am

I have enjoyed this thread immensely. Most threads back in early 2010, when I joined this forum, had this flavor. I miss that. I didn’t know enigma was banned, I thought he left voluntarily. I kinda miss his point blank approach, in a way.

I did take the liberty of coping and pasting most of kiki’s reply on my facebook wall, crediting a ‘wise friend from a forum’ because every word of it resonates with me. I hope this was ok. It was too juicy not to.

Sirnik, I loved your post as well. Oh my, you’ve come a long way. I haven’t read a post from you in months but do not remember them being so assertive. This one was excellent. I am glad you have found a teacher you like. Salem suggested John Wheeler to me and must say I’ve had a couple of jaw dropping moments watching him on youtube. He is as clear as Tolle but way way more direct. Thanks Salem.

A couple of guys I met at a secular sobriety forum I belong to, like Floyd Henderson, and swear he has led them to abiding awakening. I believe Henderson recovered from alcoholism by applying Nisargadatta Marajah's teachings. I have read a couple of articles written by him and found them thought provoking, truly fascinating especially one titled "Advaita Consideration #1". I haven’t read any of his books. He writes non-dual mysteries I understand. Perhaps Andy has read some and wouldn’t mind offering his review.

Here is Floyd Henderson’s site:

http://www.floydhenderson.com/

KM is always great to hear from you. Months ago, you helped me see that going directly to my inner body in the middle of family arguments was actually repressing my emotions. That was an aha moment for me, because at the time, I thought I had found the answer to everything by escaping to that portal.

I love this forum. I am so glad I am being motivated to share here once again.

Natalie

Midnight

Post by Midnight » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:26 pm

So guys -

Just found this:

http://www.dpselfhelp.com/forum/index.p ... ntry246257

It's a guy talking about enlightenment v.s an experience of depersonalization/derealization.

For those that can't be bothered to watch it - he says that for most people, the discovery of the emptiness of self and the world is incredibly liberating and empowers them and for others it puts them into the 'pit of the void' which is apparently spoken about in Buddhism (I'm suspect of this though).

It's really the only logical answer to my feelings over the last year so it's comforting in that sense but also fucking frightening because essentially I could go on like this for the rest of my life, meaning that these teachings have ruined everything.

Just be careful...
(And no I'm not trolling)

kiki

Post by kiki » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:58 pm

I did take the liberty of coping and pasting most of kiki’s reply on my facebook wall, crediting a ‘wise friend from a forum’ because every word of it resonates with me. I hope this was ok. It was too juicy not to.
That's just fine with me, Natalie.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:24 pm

Midnight wrote:t's really the only logical answer to my feelings over the last year so it's comforting in that sense but also fucking frightening because essentially I could go on like this for the rest of my life, meaning that these teachings have ruined everything.
So Patrick, is fear an emotion?
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.

tod

Post by tod » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Midnight wrote: quoting:... the discovery of the emptiness of self and the world is incredibly liberating and empowers them and for others it puts them into the 'pit of the void'....
It's really the only logical answer to my feelings over the last year so it's comforting in that sense but also fucking frightening because essentially I could go on like this for the rest of my life, meaning that these teachings have ruined everything.

Just be careful...
At long last I think I am coming to terms with this emptiness in everything, or how empty everything is - or at least my mind is. I am seeing that it is only my mind that has notions about the void. It is fearful of the void as it thinks that the void will be the end of it, that the void will swallow it, and it will be no more.

But what is becoming clear here is that that is only the part of the mind that thought it was in charge/control, that thought it was someone, that thought it existed as me, that thought it was me. But that thought self is now being seen as only a shallow/shadow self, a place holder, an alias, a phantom, not me. I have moved into the void, I have been moved by the void.

So now the empty world is still empty, still void, still offers nothing. But now I know there is nothing the world can really give me nor take away from me. Nor is there anything I really want or need from or of the world. It is rather lovely being 'here'.

I hope this clarity sticks around.

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:41 am

tod wrote:
But now I know there is nothing the world can really give me nor take away from me.
Lovely, Tod! That's because you are already complete and limitless (eternal, if you prefer).
tod wrote:
Nor is there anything I really want or need from or of the world. It is rather lovely being 'here'.
Great insight. Stay with it, and keep us posted :D.

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:18 am

tod wrote:I hope this clarity sticks around.
It's darkly comical how those words of advice on abandonment fit just as perfectly written on clouds across the sky as on the iron gates over the heads of the damned.

tod,

I'm going to go way out on a limb and assert that I've had and noticed a similar thought from my perspective.

Please don't take this the wrong way because it is meant just for what it is on it's face.

Have you noticed how all of the teachers that posters refer readers to on this forum say about highs and lows? .... this isn't to say what you've expressed and what 'trails highlighted doesn't "point away" from this cycle .... it's just that I want to leave you with the possibility that if you set aside this hope for the clarity then maybe it will be more likely to "continue" so to speak.

Best wishes with this.
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.

tod

Post by tod » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:43 am

Thanks Runstrails and Snowheight.

I'm 'staying with it'. It seems only the mind is doing anything (else). :)

autumnsphere

Post by autumnsphere » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:35 pm

Jon wrote:
kiki wrote:
When I look inside, I find no me, just a void. Am I this void? If I am, then this surely is the most depressing discovery in life and perhaps we shouldn't be so quick to point people to the abyss, as it were.
I had been through this and seen nothing...it even drove me away for years then i found out many, many, many, years later if you stop looking at that 'nothing' with your mind and simply experience that nothing with your heart, that nothing that emptiness that void is full of love and compassion. Try and be innocent like a child. x
That's it, yep.
Forget spiritual practice - just do drugs!

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:15 pm

Midnight -

An earlier post had some good advice -- let this go for a while. Go volunteer somewhere -- serve someone, respond to them. In another tradition it is called "outfocussing." Stop grinding on your experience of "me...not me...nothing, something, the glimmer of an emotion...etc."

'hear' screaming thoughts in the back of my mind.
Interesting -- I heard that also, but it made me smile. You have phrased it exactly correctly: "screaming thoughts." That is what ET means by the last gasp of the ego...."You can't do this to me!!!" Can you allow those thoughts to surface without energizing them? That is a key sadhana for all stresses, by the way. They arise singly, sometimes serially. Be their witness.

mc2method, here: http://www.mc2method.com/listen/ or The Sedona Method (book by Dworskin) or other releasing techniques can defuse the angst which is arising. If you examine closely, you will find each gut-wrenching fear is attached to a thought. That said, chronic obsession with "my terrible problem" can cause free-floating anxiety.

Absolutely get help, medical, psychiatric, counseling, etc. I think interpretation of brain-scans is in an early stage of development -- do not have much experience there.

Take all your books, wrap a string around them and set them aside for a bit. Stop surfing the web on this topic. Find something constructive to do. This nonduality stuff will resurface when needed. No sense in grinding away on it. And yes, there is peace in surrender, Midnight, but you have to really really really surrender. It opens the door for Grace.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

dijmart

Post by dijmart » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:13 pm

Midnight,
I agree 100% with Andy, everything he said is sound advice I believe.
Take what you like and leave the rest.

dubhasa

Post by dubhasa » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:48 pm

kiki wrote:
That's just fine with me, Natalie.

I remember, I had printed all of Kiki's posts and went through it many many times. It did help me a lot when I needed most. I still BELIEVE that kiki is really Eckhart Tolle in disguise !!
Last edited by dubhasa on Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

goldieflower

Post by goldieflower » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:44 pm

dubhasa wrote:I sill BELIEVE that kiki is really Eckhart Tolle in disguise !!
I almost choked on my raspberry mint thinking of ET in biking shorts. :D

Mind is very amusing.

muzzi17

Post by muzzi17 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:17 am

Over the past few months I have become super committed to figuring this out. There are times where I can stop my thoughts and become incredibly present. Last week I become very present and truly enjoyed, absorbed the moment. However, this week I cannot get my thoughts to stop. So I am learning to try and stream my thoughts in a positive direction. Thoughts that feed positivity. I am also becoming aware of an even deeper unconscious thought process that puts me in these neurotic moods. Interesting stuff!

BeingHereNow

Post by BeingHereNow » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:05 pm

Thank you all for these posts..I just joined today, been soaking in Tolle heaven the last couple weeks...things are registering, the voices are still humming but I am learning to disassociate myself from them, or at least make them positive or creative.
Thanks again for your presences.