How Can I Know What I Came Here on Earth For? ?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
balancee

How Can I Know What I Came Here on Earth For? ?

Post by balancee » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:42 pm

Hi all
I'm a 29 years old women...and it's been now 6 months or even more that I feel confused about my future. I don't know anymore what my future will be like. Life is showing me that I need to follow it and go with its flow, but this is hard for me as I'm used to have total control over myself and life and make things according to my wishes and wants. But now I feel powerless and I know only one thing for sure: that I know nothing ...!
I'm a journalist and now I'm studying psychology if this help to answer to my topic.

ps: even if I know nothing now, I have sometimes this deep feeling that everything is all right and I just need to go with the flow...(but I'm so impatient and I'm always used to control life, when in fact now I know I cant do this, as life cant be a thing a own...!IT is more and more than that.

Moderator Note: Please read forum rules before further posting - especially those concerning capitalization and punctuation.

tod

Re: How Can I Know What I Came Here on Earth For? ?

Post by tod » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:30 am

I think I 'came to Earth' to get grounded, to get all the ideas as to what I am ground from me via experience. Perhaps this could be called 'coming to earth' :)

spikyface

Post by spikyface » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:20 am

I lived as you did for many years, the desire for control was an almost electrical buzzing in the back of my head, like an energy driving you to DO as much as possible, to make progress, to get to the next level

The best advice I can think of is this:

Don't look for what your overall life purpose might be in the future, look for what your life purpose is now

You won't just have one reason for coming, it'll change over time and each one will be meaningful in it's own right

What are you drawn to now? Even if it seems frivolous, you can't know the significance of something until you've experienced it
Do not take anyone as an authority on what you are. Ultimately all the answers lie within

unbornawakened

Post by unbornawakened » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:37 am

You are actually more real, honest, and truthful than almost all people on this forum. Appreciate that in yourself.

Personally, I have no idea what I came here for. I have asked this question for many decades, and never got an answer. Perhaps you have a mission and you will find it somehow, I don't know, and I am not saying give up, but just telling you how it worked out for me.

The best answer perhaps is, that it is what you make of it. Perhaps you are free to choose your mission, and no one has figured it out for you ahead of time. You need to figure it out for yourself.
balancee wrote: But now I feel powerless and I know only one thing for sure: that I know nothing ...!

balancee

Post by balancee » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:00 am

thank you for your replies....unborn :) thanks for your words...
i guess u are right , noone can show me my puropse of my life...and i think i need to start t o feel comfortable with the ''not knowing'' feeling :D

unbornawakened

Post by unbornawakened » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:02 am

wonderful :)

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:23 pm

To offer an abstract and impersonal answer to the question some might find the following confluence interesting:

- If I have this right, the path of Self-Inquiry (originating from Eastern religious tradition) posits that knowledge of one's true nature is the only imperative purpose, and the last purpose, that a person will require.

- There is a reflection amongst the high-priests of modern secular humanism (scientists), that humanity evolved and now looks out into the heavens and deeply down into the equally vast realm of the physically small ... so that the Universe may know itself ... and whether or not this was by some design simply doesn't matter at this point.

- Compare these with the beliefs of Christians and Muslims and Jews and other monotheists that humanity's purpose is to love God unconditionally. Can you see the similarity there?
balancee wrote: i think i need to start t o feel comfortable with the ''not knowing'' feeling :D
balancee, those ideas above are just for fun, nothing to take very seriously. If you mean "not knowing", in terms of Tolle's definition of mind (not intellectually understanding), then my guess is that many here would say something to the effect that "you are on the right track", but that there is a knowing beyond the mind that is very possible.

There are a few here who can help you with that but ultimately noone can really gift to you what you already have, or, perhaps more accurately, what you already are.
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.

Kutso

Post by Kutso » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:15 pm

There are and can be many more explanations of "what am I doing here?". Will any of these explanations, however, be enough to be satisfying? Or will they be only another concept to believe in?
Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that.

Mariposa

Post by Mariposa » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:04 am

Today I thought about this and I compared myself to an animal - what do animals do? They seek for food all day, that is their only occupation. As a life form, each being has a momentum, an inertia to continue existing, until they cease to exist as such. All else, all the activities men and women do are meant for survival, they do different things for money, to eat and pay bills. So I felt that the only purpose is to not die, until we do die, and just to be conscious, so I felt my own presence and it was enough. All else is mental, but the fact, the suchness of now is we exist as we are. And that is all there is.

There is a rock in the middle of a river.

We can ask questions about the rock, why, what for, but nothing we can say can touch the very existence of the rock.

The rock is and you can sink in it's isness, smell it, witness it, be there.

That is circular, in a way, and vertical in another way.

It is calm and serene.

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:08 am

I'm loving this thread, thank you balancee.

Beyond 'who am I?' there is 'what is my purpose?' I love this from spikyface -
Don't look for what your overall life purpose might be in the future, look for what your life purpose is now.
You won't just have one reason for coming, it'll change over time and each one will be meaningful in it's own right.
What are you drawn to now? Even if it seems frivolous, you can't know the significance of something until you've experienced it.
It speaks to allowing and appreciating the unfolding of the now, which will in time become the hindsight and wisdom for tomorrow, without attachment (of course). This is very different to trying to look forward into an unknown, which is bound to be frustrating because it is an impossibilty based on - controlling that which is unfolding.
I'm a journalist and now I'm studying psychology if this help to answer to my topic.
This suggests to me you are (currently) on the path of gaining understanding and sharing that understanding with others. In the way of the beautiful quote in ANE - you are the hole in the flute through which the Christ's breath flows (listen to the music).
While you are gaining understanding you need only be open and allow room for all perspectives - no hope of 'controlling' anything there. While you are sharing multiple perspectives you will realise you will have less of an opinion about any of it, only an appreciation of the differing points of viewing. I was just thinking this morning what a privilege it is, to be allowed in to share these multiple pov without holding, owning, 'controlling' any of them. 'It just is' can be followed with the 5 W's and H, but often the answers have nothing to do with us - like the Christ breath brushing on our cheek though, it 'touches' us.

The Dalai Lama recently compared the importance of this in terms of the response ability and care required, with the importance of great political leaders, in that it can help to shape the future in peace and understanding, in bringing folks together (or negatively in stoking the falsity of separation, strengthening fears and feeding ignorance), for individuals, for communities, for countries and for the world. I'm on a similar path and can vouch you will be amazed at what you can learn and understand yourself, if you get yourself out of the way and allow it all to flow through you, realising you are a conduit not a creator.

If you understand ET's notions about not using things/people/situations etc as an obstacle, an enemy or a means to an end the journey will be filled with joy, acceptance and understanding as its own seed - the more you learn the more you 'know' nothing.

HH DL suggested it was a mighty position of power best used with love, compassion and wisdom, because the flip side of it - used unwisely - also has great impact.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen

balancee

Post by balancee » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:28 pm

smiiley thank you for your words...they are really inspiring thanks again and thank you for your compliments :)
i
m learning to let things go and let life, or let GOD....go...firs...or lets say let my deeper self guide me....its a bit difficult as im used to have a total control on everything..and i feel like im doing nothing when life is going itself....but i think leting life pass through u is just beautiful...i hope life is patient enough with me to teach me every day what it means to let things go and take all easy :)))

http://html.expresso.me/smileys