Fight or flight for the mind

Topics related to physical, emotional and psychological forms of pain and suffering

Fight or flight for the mind

Postby Midnight » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:16 pm

Hello everyone.

As we all well know, the mind is how we make sense of the world around us. When I say mind I mean the brain and thought process.

Many spiritual teachers dismiss the mind as 'nothing', but in all seriousness I think it's actually incredibly important, and is a fragile instrument.

Self-inquiry involves looking directly - inwardly - and finding out who we are (or atleast is supposed to involve this). The mind or sense of self cannot stand this scrutiny (this is my idea) and tries to protect itself.

I'm basically trying to work out how I got depersonalization, and I think it is something to do with the fight or flight response as spoken of commonly in biology. The mind prepares itself for attack and it's natural function changes. Adrenalin coarses through the body as the mind readys itself for any kind of threat.

Many researchers in the fields of psychology and neuroscience have spoken of this as a possible cause for this crippling condition, and now I think I can see how spirituality and the practices of spirituality link to it.

"Depersonalization disorder (DPD) is a chronic and distressing condition with a prevalence in the general population between 0.8 and 2%. Several neurobiological studies in the last decade have shown that patients have suppressed limbic activation to emotional stimuli.

Such findings are in line with a model which suggests that the condition is generated by an anxiety-triggered, 'hard-wired' inhibitory response to threat. Such a mechanism would ensure the preservation of adaptive behavior, during situations normally associated with overwhelming and potentially disorganizing anxiety. In DPD, such a response would become chronic and dysfunctional."

I feel under threat, brain-dead, anxious, alert, numb, and disconnected from reality to name but a few of the things I'm going through. I feel like I have no self and am empty and soulless. I wouldn't wish this upon my worst enemy and would rather have a serious physical condition any day of the week.

Is it the sense of identity that is under threat or what? If so, how come others who did successful inquiry have not experienced this harrowing disorder as a result?

Please chime in with any opinions or ideas you may have.
Midnight

Re: Fight or flight for the mind

Postby tod » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:10 pm

It is impossible to truly describe what/who you are and you have found that, but you still insist that you are a person.
tod

Postby Midnight » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:17 am

tod wrote:It is impossible to truly describe what/who you are and you have found that, but you still insist that you are a person.

Have I found that?

If I have, why do I feel like this?
Midnight

Postby tod » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:21 am

If I have, why do I feel like this?

I have told you. You insist on being a person.
tod

Postby tod » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:50 am

I recall that in my night time dreams I never saw myself. It is the same in this day time dream. I can think I am this body/mind but that is only a thought construct, as is the entire universe. I am not a thought; I cannot be defined.
tod

Postby ashley72 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:56 am

Midnight wrote:I'm basically trying to work out how I got depersonalization, and I think it is something to do with the fight or flight response as spoken of commonly in biology. The mind prepares itself for attack and it's natural function changes. Adrenalin coarses through the body as the mind readys itself for any kind of threat.

Midnight,

I stumbled upon a little known "mental break" exposure a week ago while doing some web research. I started contemplating far peripheral vision and the benefit of putting attention towards our far peripheral vision.

I started doing some web research... and quickly found some references to an exposure called "Subliminal Distraction".

Subliminal Distraction

It is basically a conflict in the physiology of sight. You can successfully ignore distracting movement in peripheral vision but you can't stop "subliminally seeing" it. There are no "off switches" for the sensor cells on the rods and cones in your retina.If stimulus reaches them neural impulses go to your brain no matter what you are doing. When you learn to ignore distracting movement in peripheral vision, the expected startle will stop but the subliminal functioning of the reflex system prevents you becoming aware of your brain's continued efforts to warn you of threat-movement. Those neural impulses and your brain's efforts to form a startle and vision reflex are a Subliminal Distraction. When you create the "special circumstances" so that the startle is attempted several times each hour, for several hours daily, and for many days, the subliminal appreciation of threat eventually colors thought and reason.

Circumstances which may create the conditions for Subliminal Distraction

Whenever someone walks beside a reader who is deeply involved to the point of slight dissociation, that movement will be detected in the peripheral vision. Students can have many locations for exposure to Subliminal Distraction. The movement in peripheral vision need not be human. Since the object is never identified in Subliminal Distraction exposure any movement large enough or vigorous enough can be detected. Humans see by reflected light is necessary. Remember, the subject must engage deep mental investment to the point that they are no longer aware of events going on around them. Knowledge workers and students do this all day. That’s why Cubicle Level Protection is necessary. In this picture it is reading a book. But substitute any number of other activities such as daydreaming, using a computer, playing video games or Deep Meditation. When you engage this level of concentration we all have a subliminally functioning brain system that will break your concentration with a startle if threat-movement is detected near you. How close must the movement be? In offices it is in a traffic aisle beside the worker but if the movement is large enough it can be further away. Adequate lighting is needed and that is the limiting factor. Since far peripheral vision detects only movement and position any movement will do. It does not have to be human or alive. One of the bizarre but normal features of the physiology of sight is that stationary objects in far peripheral vision are invisible, In a safe location you can learn to ignore movement around you so you can continue to work or function normally. The startle will stop. But no one has voluntary control over the primitive subliminally functioning brain system that detects the movement and begins or attempts the startle. Exposure cannot be detected by the victim.Every time movement is detected a startle will be attempted. But if you consciously ignore movement around you the startle is blocked. Then subconscious attempts to make you startle will eventually color thought and reason creating fear, paranoia, panic attacks, depression, and thoughts of suicide. This cannot happen with a single exposure incident. Massive exposure is necessary.

Deep Meditation Exposures

You do not turn the primitive warning system off when you ignore the movement and the startle events stop.The normal subliminal functioning of this system prevents you becoming aware that it continues to attempt the reflexes. You cannot have exposure while you eyes are closed, it is a vision driven phenomenon. Maintaining that meditating inward contemplating mental state keeps the warning system engaged and ready so that when you open your eyes and there is detectable movement in peripheral vison you have a 'Subliminal Distraction' or a 'subliminal threat-movement detection' incident. You can be exposed during eyes-open periods when others move in your peripheral vision.

Note: This information is not mainstream so its validity may be questionable. However, around the time I started getting panic attacks about five years ago... I was positioned in the middle of an open office design with no screening from the sides or behind my head. I was doing a lot of web-designing & database management work. Whilst I was working on the computer I was deeply involved to the point of "strong" dissociation for many hours without a break. This daily routine went on for a couple of years. Therefore, if this subliminal exposure is valid... I was a prime candidate for such a mental break.
ashley72

Postby alex » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:21 am

Hey midnight,
Do you ever experience sparkly vision, kind of like your fading out or the world doesnt seem real?
After an awakening a while ago when the high started to drop out to a pretty dark decent I was filled with some major terror. Every attemt to be present or see through the mind again would create full blown panic attacks. It got to a point where I would literally feel like a cardboard cut out of myself. I was very very disconnected. Sometimes I would experience the sparkly vision I spoke of, this led me to a little google down time and I found that it can be a symptom of dissociation/depersonalization. I'm pretty certain its what I had for a little while there.
I think my saving grace is that during mediation I had such a strong ability to stick with the I Am presence. Sure at times it filled me with even more terror, the mind was really losing its footing and I went through one hell of an ego death. I was so scared I was losing my whole world - I just had nothing left except to stick with the I Am presence. I eventually saw the uselessness of trying to hold on with the mind, let go and had another awakening. It's been much easier since then.
I'd say you just really have to stick with resting in awareness and self enquiry. What more is there to say? Just keep going. You're in the valley of the shadow of death. I'm sure its meant to be. It's just of utmost importance that you don't set up camp here and make a whole new identity out of it. Go deeper what are you really if you have discovered all that you are not?
alex

Postby SandyJoy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:20 am

Yes, as Alex says it is the valley of the shadow of death. Shadow means 'not the real' but a way of knowing that Something Real stands behind that shadow. Seeing shadows of a tree means we know there is a Tree here somewhere, so look to the Tree that is casting that shadow and find the Living One, The Tree of Life.

Psalm 23

A psalm of David.

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he restores my soul.

He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name’s sake.

Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.

Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

You are going to have to return to God and If you do not know how to find God or what God is, I have a little booklet for you to read. Go to this webpage and at the top of the page you will find a free gift book titled "2+2=Reality." Click on that, it is free pdf.

http://www.williamsamuel.com/archive%20list.htm
You are not finished, until you play in that meadow and live there. You can, you know. But only you can take yourself there.
SandyJoy

Postby Midnight » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:05 pm

Yeah... that's all well and good but I feel like I'm not here and I can't think properly. Is god really going to be of any use to me if I have a mental problem? Nah. I'm not miserable per say, I'm just numb, interspersed with feelings of suppressed fear and anxiety for no apparent reason.
Midnight

Postby SandyJoy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:17 pm

Midnight wrote:Yeah... that's all well and good but I feel like I'm not here and I can't think properly. Is god really going to be of any use to me if I have a mental problem? Nah. I'm not miserable per say, I'm just numb, interspersed with feelings of suppressed fear and anxiety for no apparent reason.

Yes, really It's the one and only one true and real answer and not only will God help you, it will bring you back to living again---but, only you can take your self there, its up to you---yet, once you turn around you will meant with open arms and embraced in Love.

Ok, if you don't want to read that booklet, that is all I can do, but offer a direction, the self-pity and wallowing in darkness is your choice.

SandyJoy
You are not finished, until you play in that meadow and live there. You can, you know. But only you can take yourself there.
SandyJoy

Postby Midnight » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:25 pm

SandyJoy wrote:
Midnight wrote:Yeah... that's all well and good but I feel like I'm not here and I can't think properly. Is god really going to be of any use to me if I have a mental problem? Nah. I'm not miserable per say, I'm just numb, interspersed with feelings of suppressed fear and anxiety for no apparent reason.

Yes, really It's the one and only one true and real answer and not only will God help you, it will bring you back to living again---but, only you can take your self there, its up to you---yet, once you turn around you will meant with open arms and embraced in Love.

Ok, if you don't want to read that booklet, that is all I can do, but offer a direction, the self-pity and wallowing in darkness is your choice.

SandyJoy

I'm not wallowing in darkness, I want out of the damn thing. I am just a healthy skeptic and I tell it like it is. I am reading the booklet, thanks for linking.
Midnight

Postby SandyJoy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:29 pm

Good! You will be very glad you did! :D

Much Love, SandyJoy
SandyJoy

Postby alex » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:52 am

I want out of the damn thing.

So much resistance midnight.
alex

Postby Midnight » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:21 pm

alex wrote:
I want out of the damn thing.

So much resistance midnight.

Absolutely, and plenty of rage which I can't express because I'm so numb.

I don't think I want to accept this, the idea of being at peace doesn't even appeal to me anymore, I don't know what to do.

How can I accept something that is ruining my life?
Midnight

Postby Ralph » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:41 pm

Midnight wrote:the idea of being at peace doesn't even appeal to me anymore

Then what appeals to you ? ... what is it that you want ?
Ralph

Next

Return to Pain and Suffering