Physical pain

Topics related to physical, emotional and psychological forms of pain and suffering

Re: Physical pain

Postby smiileyjen101 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:14 am

The good folks in the hospital had given me a 'special' pillow for this event. They told me should I need to sneeze to grasp this pillow and clutch it to my chest. Ignoring that advice (typical of me), I sneezed without the pillow. Folks, the pain was absolute. It was pure. It was the most complete pain I have ever felt. I remember vaguely the color blue. The pain subsided as quickly as it had come. It left me pondering a very odd range of thoughts. I not only respected the pain, I think I may have even admired its intensity. Then I had an almost paralyzing thought.

Did I enjoy that pain ? That's insane !

Embracing, respecting what is, is always pure, with a lack of distortion it just 'is' - blue's a good colour for it :wink:

The thing from our experiences is maybe more what did you learn from it?
Absolutely what 'could' have happened with the force of the full blown sneeze without the restriction provided by the pillow eg tearing your stitches, haemorraghing, creating a hernia etc didn't happen and so the consequences were limited to the pure experience of the immediate pain.

If you were in the same situation again, would you willingly, knowingly use the pillow or not? And what would you consider in your decision making?

If we move this out from experiencing pain to witnessing pain (self - other) if your most beloved was in that situation - would you recommend they use the pillow, or not?

Interesting isn't it?
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Re: Physical pain

Postby jamesp1013 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:26 pm

One of my biggest concerns in making my original post was why the those recognized as masters (Tolle, Maharshi, Nisargadatta, Krishnamurti and all of the others) seem to pay little attention to the subject, given that perhaps 100% of all human beings experience pain at some point in their lives and in most it is a significant issue.
I have reached the following conclusion: A master would not be a master unless he understood this: There is a way to overcome the experience of physical pain and these masters used it to overcome their own pain (i.e. those such as Maharshi, Krishnamurti et al). They understood that they would be doing their followers a great disservice if they gave them ALL of the answers--they knew that there are things a person must figure out on his/her own in order to reach the same master's status as they. They knew that no one can give another such a gift. It's a do-it-yourself project.
jamesp1013

Previous

Return to Pain and Suffering