Schizophrenia

Topics related to physical, emotional and psychological forms of pain and suffering

Schizophrenia

Postby Rubber Soul » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:50 am

I don't think anything spiritual could help this curse of a disease

But I'm still wondering if Eckhart has said anything about it

Does anyone know?
Rubber Soul

Re: Schizophrenia

Postby karmarider » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:36 am

I don't know--I don't think ET or any other awakened teacher has said anything about schizophrenia.

I have considerable experience with anxiety and depression, and can say that they were actually helpful, in the sense that anxiety/depression are a natural consequence of not pretending, and so closer to what ET and others talk about.

And so I'd like to say that if you have schizophrenia, only you can know how ET's or anyone else's teachings relate.
karmarider

Postby Simontology » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:12 pm

I have a form of schizophrenia myself, its called Schizoaffective disorder, like schizophrenia but with bipolar disorder thrown in.

Whats helped me the most was my medication but my body is getting used to it now and isn't working as strong as it used to, what I'm doing to keep it at bay is using the law of attraction with a meditation instead the visualisation method, I've no proof of it working but I feel better today than I did on the 27th of august when I started doing the meditation. I can tell you how to do it if you're interested.

Back on topic: Being in your body instead of in your head can help with thoughts but it doesn't really work for hallucinations and any intrusive thoughts you might have.
Simontology

Postby tenderboy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:20 pm

I've schiuzophrenia myself and can only say that it was like hell for me but I don'T understand why I deserved to experience it....

However, Eckhart Tolle did say something to mental illness in general: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lagC4l7SO0
and he said something in a video about schizophrenia but i don't find it anymore however I know that he said:
- he recommends to watch a beautiful mind
- he says that if you see and hear things that are not there, then: "Don't look at it"

the other things I forgot.
tenderboy

Postby Rubber Soul » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:19 am

I feel like he answered the question tangentially in that YouTube video.

I still believe there is no purpose to severe mental illness.
Rubber Soul

Postby rideforever » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:44 am

My personal view is that presence can heal schizophrenia, but it is not easy.

My view is that schizophrenia is a natural response to a crazy world where you are told to do 10 different things at the same time - which is not possible, so in order to deal with the situation you 'split' internally. For instance 'sex is bad', 'sex is good', or 'money is bad', 'money is responsible', 'money is essential' ... so you create sub-personalities to deal with these things.

Some people grow up in environments with very severe pressures on them, causing them to split deeply.

Almost all people have splits but for the most part they go un-noticed, but they are there.

Being present I am sure can help to integrate these parts again - but also it seems important to move to an environment that is not crazy.

RD Laing did some work with Schizo patients, from memory it was about 10 of them, and he counselled them for a year and after a year they were much better. Then they all went home. And after a year they had severe problems again, basically because their environments were very unhealthy.

Mainstream society is a very unhealthy environment.

The current obsession with grading people on the mental illness chart (DSM-IV or whatever) ... is basically to distract attention from the fact that nobody is prepared to change the unhealthy environment that is mainstream society. And so they want to give you pills instead. All these things are not easy to deal with, but nevertheless that is the case. So people are told that they are ill, rather than society is ill and they are functioning normally.

This way of doing business prevents change in society, that is the primary function of the mental health profession - to hide the problems that a crazy world is creating. Because the boys at the top of the tower are making a lot of money out of this crazy world, and they don't want change.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby Onceler » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:01 pm

I'm not an expert on schizophrenia, but do work in the mental health field. I have come to terms that medications do help people and in many cases prevent further erosion of brain cells. These are anatomically destructive diseases to the brain and meds slow the course of this progress. Major depression is very destructive to grey matter, producing high levels of cortisol which is extremely toxic to the brain. Even in ADHD, meds can have a long term protective factor. There are, however, long term consequences to both the treatment and disease.

In this sense, spirituality is not used to correct kidney disease, or heart disease, but would definitely be helpful in dealing with the symptoms and impact on ones life. I don't think we should close the door to energy healing and other modalities which may be helpful. And then there is always the possibility that it is misdiagnosed.....
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby rideforever » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:13 pm

Modalities ! I have come to truly hate that word. Like a person is a slot machine where you press on button and it makes a sound, you press a different button and it makes a different sound. What a appalling view that is.

Sure people use 'spirituality' to heal themselves. Of everything in every way.

Currently we have a story of 14,000 people dying unnecessarily in the NHS hospitals - the government has been trying to cover it up for 3 months but finally its out.

In the US ( and in your country soon ) is a strong effort to convince people to accept medication. This has tremendous benefits. The most important is that the violent society can continue. And ... a few people make a lot of money out of it.

Of course people resist. People have this sense of a better world, a better life, free of all these 'aids'. So they have to be convinced, hence the need for media and Scientists - yes those guys are very helpful in keeping things the way they are.

Likewise in the medical service. To be part of the medical service is to believe. You are surrounded 24-7 by justifications for this world to continue. For this medication to continue.

I was just reading about the some of the fruits of our 'system' : the bombing of Dresden, Nagasaki and Hiroshima. And of course we know what is occurring these days, far far worse than that - violence institutionalised at every level of governance, violence against people, against the environment, against knowledge. And the creation of systems to prevent change.

This is the 'system' within which 'medication' has arisen. This is the 'mind' in which it has arisen. You would be wise to understand that the entire thing is a violent lie from one end to the other.

The Politics of Experience, it's an interesting book title. It means that your experience of your life is being manufactured so that you do the function in society that other people want you to do. It works through manufacturing your history, knowledge of yourself, your understanding of what health is and isn't, through rigging the economy etc... So that you live your life in a 'matrix'. And it works, there is great care taken to ensure people do not wake up.

It seems quite incredible to me now as an adult to understand that 'education' is the robotic copying of things. And then length of education is solely determined by the amount of time a group of adults take to break the will of a child. About 12 years or so. After that point the child no longer remembers that he once minded that no-one cares about it. Then he is able to continue the robotic functionality with only occasional topping up of instructions through news or social contact.

However people are resilient, and the truth is always the truth.

I only bring in 'politics' to show the environment, which I won't go on about - but it is important to see where we are.
rideforever

Postby Rubber Soul » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:19 pm

I believe schizophrenia is a genetically inherited brain disorder - just like epilepsy. It runs on my mother's side of the family. The brain needs fixing but traditional antipsychotic drugs don't help me without causing brain damage.
Rubber Soul

Postby rideforever » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:22 pm

According to ET, 170 Million human beings were deliberately massacred by other humans in the 20th Century.

It was the "sane" people who did that.
rideforever

Postby ashley72 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:15 pm

Research has shown that loss of left hemispheric dominance would explain typical symptoms in a Schizophrenic , e.g. when an individual's own thoughts are perceived as an external intruding voice.

Here is a simple test which can determine what hemisphere is dominant.

http://capone.mtsu.edu/studskl/hd/hemispheric_dominance.html

I responded as a right brained person to 14 questions, and responded as a left brained person to 5 questions. According to the Hemispheric Dominance test, I use the right hemisphere the most.

Bicameralism (the philosophy of "two-chamberedness") is a hypothesis in psychology that argues that the human mind once assumed a state in which cognitive functions were divided between one part of the brain which appears to be "speaking", and a second part which listens and obeys—a bicameral mind. The term was coined by psychologist Julian Jaynes, who presented the idea in his 1976 book The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind, wherein he made the case that a bicameral mentality was the normal and ubiquitous state of the human mind only as recently as 3000 years ago.

Eckhart tolle recalls a "command voice" at the moment of his shift!

I was so stunned by this strange realization that my mind stopped. I was fully conscious, but there were no more thoughts. Then I felt drawn into what seemed like a vortex of energy. It was a slow movement at first and then accelerated. I was gripped by an intense fear, and my body started to shake. I heard the words ‘resist nothing,’ as if spoken inside my chest. I could feel myself being sucked into a void. It felt as if the void was inside myself rather than outside. Suddenly, there was no more fear, and I let myself fall into that void. I have no recollection of what happened after that. ~ Eckhart Tolle

BTW, even though ET heard a commanding voice during his awakening , doesn't mean he's suffering from schizophrenia. His shift might be due to a switch to the right hemisphere with an entirely different context to a typical schizophrenic.
Last edited by ashley72 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ashley72

Postby rideforever » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:41 pm

Everyone has multiple voices. Just listen !!!

You have one voice when you need to make tough decisions. One voice when you are feeling sexy on a Saturday night. Etc...

You have a different personality every 5 minutes, if you'd only notice.

Schizophrenia seems like this carried much further. It's something we all don't have experience of .. just that most people don't listen to what is happening inside them.
rideforever

Postby Onceler » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:43 pm

rideforever wrote:Modalities ! I have come to truly hate that word. Like a person is a slot machine where you press on button and it makes a sound, you press a different button and it makes a different sound. What a appalling view that is.

Sure people use 'spirituality' to heal themselves. Of everything in every way.

Currently we have a story of 14,000 people dying unnecessarily in the NHS hospitals - the government has been trying to cover it up for 3 months but finally its out.

In the US ( and in your country soon ) is a strong effort to convince people to accept medication. This has tremendous benefits. The most important is that the violent society can continue. And ... a few people make a lot of money out of it.

Of course people resist. People have this sense of a better world, a better life, free of all these 'aids'. So they have to be convinced, hence the need for media and Scientists - yes those guys are very helpful in keeping things the way they are.

Likewise in the medical service. To be part of the medical service is to believe. You are surrounded 24-7 by justifications for this world to continue. For this medication to continue.

I was just reading about the some of the fruits of our 'system' : the bombing of Dresden, Nagasaki and Hiroshima. And of course we know what is occurring these days, far far worse than that - violence institutionalised at every level of governance, violence against people, against the environment, against knowledge. And the creation of systems to prevent change.

This is the 'system' within which 'medication' has arisen. This is the 'mind' in which it has arisen. You would be wise to understand that the entire thing is a violent lie from one end to the other.

The Politics of Experience, it's an interesting book title. It means that your experience of your life is being manufactured so that you do the function in society that other people want you to do. It works through manufacturing your history, knowledge of yourself, your understanding of what health is and isn't, through rigging the economy etc... So that you live your life in a 'matrix'. And it works, there is great care taken to ensure people do not wake up.

It seems quite incredible to me now as an adult to understand that 'education' is the robotic copying of things. And then length of education is solely determined by the amount of time a group of adults take to break the will of a child. About 12 years or so. After that point the child no longer remembers that he once minded that no-one cares about it. Then he is able to continue the robotic functionality with only occasional topping up of instructions through news or social contact.

However people are resilient, and the truth is always the truth.

I only bring in 'politics' to show the environment, which I won't go on about - but it is important to see where we are.

I can certainly understand your aversion to 'modalities', I have a similar aversion to 'awareness', 'presence' and 'oneness', the conditioned, plug and play language of spirituality. I absolutely agree with your critique, as I understand it, of the conditioned modern society and as I have changed my perspective over time I am appalled at the state of conditioning I was (and still am to a certain degree) in and that of those around me. It is a weird downside of greater clarity....not that I see through all conditioning.

I manage my own health quite nicely with a whole foods, plant based diet, which, ironically, the same science you are averse to shows to be extremely effective in preventing most chronic conditions and some genetic and cancer conditions, including mental disorders. Stepping outside the food mainstream and seeing the powerful effects of what we Yanks call the SAD (standard American diet) in eroding health quickly, and total addiction as powerful as drugs, has opened my eyes to the wide range of conditioning. I don't think diet can cure schizophrenia, but I think it would go a long way to alleviating the symptoms and certainly it can dissolve moderate levels of anxiety and depression.

However, it took me 50 years to find a synergetic combination of lifestyle modalities (gotcha) and I have a high level education and tremendous resource at my privileged and grateful fingertips. In my work with children I am fighting every day these cultural influences and conditioning. I cannot give my secret formula to these poor kids who are out of their minds with bad food, bad parenting, bad media, you name it. There's your idealism, which I don't think can be adequately translated or actualized and then there is this reality. As someone who doesn't take any medications and who sees them as a necessary last resort, and who has doggedly pursued lifestyle and spiritual changes to assuage my many maladies, it pains me to say that in many cases, meds are the only thing keeping these sweet kids from hitting their parents, screaming, completely zoning out, living in extreme emotional distress, and even killing themselves.

So, as the rogue sergeant said in Platoon, "there's the way things should be and then there's the way they are....."

So, let's let our little lights shine and onward thru the fog.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby ashley72 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:04 am

rideforever wrote:Everyone has multiple voices. Just listen !!!

You have one voice when you need to make tough decisions. One voice when you are feeling sexy on a Saturday night. Etc...

You have a different personality every 5 minutes, if you'd only notice.

Schizophrenia seems like this carried much further. It's something we all don't have experience of .. just that most people don't listen to what is happening inside them.

Maybe your schizophrenic. I don't experience multiple voices like your asserting. I experience only one inner voice. Its typically a narrative.

Did you watch beautiful mind? I don't believe John Nash's experience is the norm.
ashley72

Postby rideforever » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:42 am

meds ... that is another word ... it seeks to trivialise destruction ...

well, hell why don't you just open up your own health 'practice' then ?

the world needs you ...

idealism .. ? not sure how to respond to that one knowing how deep the sh**t is these days ... like 'nam ... just, no jungle, and ... more capuccino ...

- but if you go ... we go ... so hold on man ... the cavalry's coming

- I love the smell of lentils in the morning, smells like .... Onceler's new wholefoods store

- You more shredded than a Julienne salad, man.
Last edited by rideforever on Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
rideforever

Next

Return to Pain and Suffering