Schizophrenia

Topics related to physical, emotional and psychological forms of pain and suffering

Re: Schizophrenia

Postby ashley72 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:19 am

In this short video a sufferer explaining how his schizophrenia manifests.

http://youtu.be/B1YvJWTWWEk

Now watch this second video, which adds possible underlying causes, to the sufferers account...

http://youtu.be/0lmfxQ-HK7Y

Schizophrenia is sometimes associated with less strong right or left-handedness, and this might be linked to altered brain asymmetry.
ashley72

Postby ashley72 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:41 am

Yesterday I watched a fascinating talk on TED, presented by a schizophrenic who has conquered her illness. The most interesting aspect of her talk, for me, was the way in which she learnt to re-interpret command voices from a literal truth... to a metaphorical meaning.

For example, if a command voice threatened to attack her house, she re-interpreted that to mean that she was "feeling" fearful and insecure about the world.

This just re-enforces the central role metaphors plays in cognition.

For those who don't know, Metaphor is a mapping from primary domain to a target domain. It is a powerful mechanism for comprehending something abstract using something concrete.

In this case, the command voice was the concrete thing (literal meaning), and she needed to map it onto a target domain (abstract & ethereal)... which was her feelings or emotions for something which she had pushed down & bottled up.

http://www.ted.com/talks/eleanor_longden_the_voices_in_my_head.html

As forum regulars know... I've suffered from social-anxiety & a mild form of agoraphobia. This is actually seems very similar to schizophrenia in many respects, and may even be a very mild form of schizophrenia. For an agoraphobic they also have a narrator or voice in the head which is always warning them about possible dangers around the corner. As any sufferer knows, this causes hyper-vigilance and a positive feedback loop continues to re-enforce the conditioning.

Acceptance and facing the fear is an important part of breaking the fear conditioning. But how do we dis-empower the inner voice which keeps telling us their is a fear around the corner?

Maybe we need to stop taking this voice as a literal truth! And look more at the metaphorical meaning behind this inner dialogue. Obviously, an agoraphobic is afraid of feeling embarrassed or losing it around friends & strangers. It is a lot easier to process something concrete than abstract! A sufferer needs to somehow cross that bridge from something inexpressible to expressible... and metaphorical meaning might be an extremely useful tool in the kit.
ashley72

Postby devu » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:39 pm

Dear RubberSoul,

I am left wondering whether you are able to relate to the responses to your original post! :) You have mentioned else where someone trying to derail the main theme of the thread! How true! :)

You know what? I started with this forum somewhere six years ago only to find peace since i was still left with residuals after decades of devastating illness.

You have to realize:
1) Many here do not have a clue of what schizophrenia can be as an illness, what clinical depression and anxiety can be unlike day-to-day depression and anxiety. You have to steer clear (ignore) all such responses since they can be meaningless and some even dangerous to you.
2) You have to realize that if you are "actively ill" you certainly need medical therapy, though i know that medical therapy is far from effective in many cases and can instead have huge side effects.
3) Power of Now can help you ONLY when you have touched the road of recovery process.
4) I can quite unequivocally say that the depression and the suicidal ideation that Eckhart Tolle talks about in his life is NOT in the realm of an illness.

One very important thing for you is to find an empathetic medical provider who knows medical science as well as spirituality. In fact many psychiatrists are well aware of the role of spirituality in healing.

Eckhart Tolle's work has greatly helped me, but it is probably not meant to take one totally out of schizophrenia.

(Schizophrenia is a devastating illness which splits the personality- here the personality actually means the various aspects of the human mind like reasoning, perception, judgment, emotion, thinking etc. It is fallacious to equate the "split personality" to a Dr. Jekyll- Mr. Hyde personality! :) , but instead a split in the "thought" or "emotion"- like laughing loud thinking about a dead loved one. I am sure you will understand that such people cannot meditate!!!! :) The illness also could be characterized by unalterable delusions which are very, very resistant to reasoning like " I am Jesus, i am the savior of the world" or there have been instances where the patient starves to death under the delusion that all the food served to him is poisoned. There may be thought broadcasting (meaning the fear that others can hear your thoughts), thought racing and thought fragmenting (loosening of associations). There can also be serious command hallucinations as if a voice is asking one to kill oneself or others or "different faces sticking out of the wall of the room". These can be EXTREMELY SCARY AND RESISTANT TO ANY KIND OF REASONING, AND CAN ONLY RESPOND TO MEDICAL TREATMENT SINCE THEY ARE BELIEVED TO HAPPEN DUE TO DISEQUILIBRIUM IN THE NEUROTRANSMITTERS.

Concluding, if someone is chronically schizophrenic, he cannot even converse or write a sensible paragraph in this forum.

However, if you are on the way to recovery, i encourage you NOT to clear your doubts through a forum like this, rather be in touch with a spiritual teacher- disciple of Eckart Tolle's or such who is near your area in real world. Forums could create more confusion if you are ill.

Dear RubberSoul: TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION DIRECTLY: EKHART TOLLE HAS NOT CURED ME, BUT CERTAINLY HAS HELPED ME LEARN TO DEAL WITH MY LIFE AFTER THE ILLNESS HAS DEVASTATED MY LIFE- RUINING A CAREER, FAMILY LIFE, FINANCES, PHYSICAL HEALTH ETC. TODAY THE ONLY HOPE THAT I WILL FIND SOME PEACE BEFORE I TOUCH MY FINAL GOAL POST IS TEACHINGS IN LIKE OF POWER OF NOW. YOUR SEEKING TO WRITE IN THIS FORUM MAKES ME UNDERSTAND THAT YOU MAY NOT BE VERY ILL- IF YOU ARE VERY ILL YOU MAY NOT EVEN KNOW ABOUT THIS FORUM :) IF YOU COULD FIND A BALANCE OF GOOD MEDICAL THERAPY, SOMETHING- A JOB OR HOBBY WHICH CAN KEEP YOU OCCUPIED, ENOUGH REST AND SLEEP ALTERNATING WITH PHYSICAL EXERCISES AND THEN ECKHART TOLLE, I BELIEVE THAT COULD BE THE BEST BET.

I will conclude this, praying for you. Be blessed.
devu

Postby ashley72 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:23 am

devu wrote: but instead a split in the "thought" or "emotion"- like laughing loud thinking about a dead loved one.

Yes, it's not splitting of personality... but a splitting of mental functions. This is why researchers have looked at the role the left & right hemispheres may play in such an illness.

Command voices, which is a symptom associated with Schizophrenia, may have something to do with the interplay between the left and right hemispheres. If that's the case it's unlikely that any amount of meditation or Tolle like practices will be beneficial to a schizophrenic.
ashley72

Postby devu » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:50 am

Thanks for your input Ashley, i do not know much about the left and right hemispheres, need to learn more about it.

Best wishes and happy new year to all.
devu

Postby Clouded » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:04 pm

In my opinion, I think that it's extremely difficult to stay with an unpleasant feeling until it leaves you when that feeling is triggered by bizarre delusions. When your mind can't tell mind-generated suspicions and real evidence apart, I think that the appropriate coping mechanism would be to divert your attention away from what is causing you distress, as if it does not exist and thus does not bother you. I think that being aware of how your beliefs affect your feelings requires a healthy state of mind and you can't do that under psychosis. Being and staying in the NOW is a challenge even for those who don't suffer from mental illnesses, can't imagine how hard it must be for someone with schizophrenia.
"If you want to know what your were like in the past, look at your body today. If you want to know what your body will be like in the future, look at your thoughts today." -Deepak
Clouded

Postby devu » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:24 pm

Very true Clouded.
devu

Postby rideforever » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:17 am

Recently I stumbled upon the history of a man who had many splits and difficulties and healed them, all in the space of 2 years. I am very inspired by this and his story.
At the end of the story he describes how in the struggle during birth he felt himself split into 2 hemispheres; one holding the rage and pain, and the other focusing on trying to get out. And I think this is a good model for how 'splits' develop when overwhelmed, and if they become serious we call it schizophrenia.
Here it is. Read the last page first if you like.
http://www.primal-page.com/mika.htm
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Previous

Return to Pain and Suffering