PHOBIA

Topics related to physical, emotional and psychological forms of pain and suffering

PHOBIA

Postby Testigo » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:39 pm

I have a phobia to strong and sudden noises, and I have had it for all my life. For decades I tried to get cured through ALL KINDS of methods, and now, at 68 years, I have to remain at home in a special room built to keep noises out (thunder storms, celebrations with pyrotechnics, etc.). Through the Internet I got into contact with hundreds of people with the same problem. After attending a meeting of people that suffer from this phobia, I realized that very few of them have the high level of sensitivity I have to explosions.
My experience with meditation: When I put my mind blank and stop thinking, when I put myself in the state of only awareness, somehow all my senses become more receptive, and it is very easy for me to get startled by almost any sudden noise even those that normally do not affect me, a fact that interferes with the whole experience. I didn’t join this forum to get rid of this phobia, but to put in practice the teachings of Tolle that I have been practicing regularly. I would be very grateful for your comments and advice.
TESTIGO

To land Here and Now
Testigo

Re: PHOBIA

Postby rideforever » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:30 pm

Meditation is not to make the mind blank - that is sedation and only temporary.

I have also had severe noise problems and have moved house many times and started wars with neighbours because of it.

My solution is that when I feel very disturbed I sit in meditation and watch the disturbance. I bring all my presence to watching the negative feelings coursing through me - the anger rage disappointment. I watch and watch and watch. I watch all the thoughts I think - killing people and burning them alive - and I try to bring as much focus on it.

By watching what is happening inside you - your negative reactions to noise - eventually you will be able to consolidate (fix) all the issues.

I also practice EFT which snaps me out of any numb states I may be in.

One further thing you can do. Instead of waiting for the neighbours to disturb you, do it yourself. Sit in the bathroom with the tap dripping annoyingly - and watch your reactions. Watch your anger, watch the trembling in your body, watch the panicky thoughts. As you are creating this event you have more control ... and it is a safe place to begin working. I hope that makes sense.

Over time things are much better and I am about 90% normal now. I also have a lot of earplugs for the days when I am very bothered.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby Pennee101 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:22 pm

I would like to recommend a website. It is not spiritual at all but cognitive and it helped me tremendously, (at in person meetings) years ago. The website is Recovery International. Here is the link: http://www.lowselfhelpsystems.org/

Basically we are just afraid of the feelings and when we can convince ourselves that the feelings are just distressing and not dangerous they will subside. The whole program was started around 1930 or so and uses the same terminology from back then. The doctor that started it I think, as do many others, was the first to pioneer cognitive thinking.

It was a miracle for me.
The Holiest site on Earth is where an Ancient hatred has become a present Love. TCIM
Pennee101

Postby Testigo » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:57 pm

It was a miracle for me.

Thanks, Penneee 101. I will look at the link now. Greetings,
TESTIGO

To land Here and Now
Testigo

Return to Pain and Suffering