Dealing with misanthropy

Topics related to physical, emotional and psychological forms of pain and suffering

Dealing with misanthropy

Postby tasukete » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:34 pm

Hi everybody, I need help...

I've recently finished reading "The Power of Now" and "A New Earth", and I thought I had finally found the solution to the mess my life is in.

I felt like I had been lead to Eckhart's work by fate, and it all seemed to make sense.

Then when I went out today I felt it all slip away.

I live in the UK, and for as long as I can remember I've hated it here... the country and most of the people absolutely disgust me.

No offense to any British people but every time I leave the country I regret coming back...

I know that's my pain body, I know that's my ego... but I can't help it, how can I ever come to terms with living in a country which makes me so depressed?
tasukete

Re: Dealing with misanthropy

Postby Webwanderer » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:42 pm

It's not the country that makes you depressed. It's your own perspectives and judgments that makes you depressed. Only you decide what your experience means to you, and that includes how you see the people and the country of UK.

Until you accept responsibility for the way you feel, you will continue to blame it on external circumstances. And while you may not be able to change the circumstances directly, you can perceive them in any way you choose. There is no indictment in my words, just the way consciousness works through mind and experience.

The beauty of the whole thing is that your emotions are virtually screaming at you that you are out of alignment with Source and your true nature. Painful emotions and depression are the result of perceiving though judgment, criticism and blame. Look for the beauty in your environment. Look for the truth in people's greater nature. Everyone and every thing you see is an expression of Source energy. Look beyond appearances as they are often colored by your own bias.

Every time you find reason to smile, every time you feel a moment of enjoyment, you are moving towards aligning with your true nature. Good, loving, joyful feelings are always accompanied by a sense of expansion. If you pay attention you can feel that expansion relative to the clinching, narrowing experience of judgment and depression.

Follow your emotions consciously. Watch as they guide you toward an understanding of your experience. Drop negative thoughts and feelings as best you can, and consciously emphasize thoughts and feelings that bring you peace and joy.

There is much that is automatic in our thoughts because of our established focus on thinking a certain way. It is your responsibility to choose a new path if you want a better experience. There is no doubt that it can be done. Depression and emotional pain are not necessary in the long run. They are only indicators of the quality of alignment with Source energy.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby tasukete » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:49 am

Thank you for the kind words WW, I know you're right.

I'm a native, I've lived here all my life, and for a lot of that I've been dealing with intense fear, anxiety depression.

So I do understand that my experience has tainted my view of reality... but I also realize that I'll never be able to save myself unless I somehow manage to drop all the negativity.

I was especially depressed yesterday because I was confident that reading Eckhart's books had shown me how to fix my life, but as soon as I felt the hatred rise within me I kept thinking to myself "See? It doesn't work!".

Well, after watching one of his videos on dealing with anger I see now that wasn't really me... that was just the negative emotion speaking right?

I know deep inside that everything Eckhart says is right though, and at this point I haven't really got the option of giving up.

I've hardly had any practice building "presence", so maybe that's why I was so weak...
tasukete

Postby Webwanderer » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:19 pm

tasukete wrote:Well, after watching one of his videos on dealing with anger I see now that wasn't really me... that was just the negative emotion speaking right?

That is right. You are awareness. Negative emotions are content - albeit attention grabbing content. They persist because of the intensity of focus that you have given them, reinforcing them over long periods of time. Knowing this is helpful in working towards another, more preferable, experience. It's just energy formed in a specific way by attention and thought.

Begin to think of your experience, and the conditions you live in, in a different more accepting way and that energy will begin to lose its intensity. It will simply die of attention starvation. Condemning yourself for feeling negative however is just more of the same and counter productive. There is no right or wrong, only cause and effect.

It's critically important that you get a true sense of your self so as to regain clarity on the distinction between your true nature as awareness and the thought content that has your attention. Thought content is to a significant degree malleable and can be changed to suit your preference. Time spent not in thought, but in silent present awareness, will bring clarity back to your sense of being over the content of thought and negative emotion. Adyashanti's True Meditation is excellent for this.

The more you look for and focus on what uplifts you and brings you a sense of happiness, the more you will regain your freedom from the painful and negative creations you have made. Every moment of happiness is a moment not spent in judgment and condemnation. Every moment of happiness is a moment creating a new, more preferable focus of attention.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby rideforever » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:58 pm

tasukete wrote:I live in the UK, and for as long as I can remember I've hated it here... the country and most of the people absolutely disgust me.

No offense to any British people but every time I leave the country I regret coming back...

I live here too and it's really f**ed up if you ask me.

If you want to leave, leave ... 40,000 emigrate every year, many to Australia.

Don't force yourself to stay if you want to leave !
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Return to Pain and Suffering