Can you really be in the "NOW" while waiting death sentence

Topics related to physical, emotional and psychological forms of pain and suffering

Can you really be in the "NOW" while waiting death sentence

Postby neil1234 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:08 am

Well, not really death sentence, but when you know something really terrible is going to happen at a certain date in the future.

I have read "Power of now", and I mostly use the technique of "witnessing the thinker" in order to rein in the out of control mind, and put it in its place. I am not very successful with just focussing on the now, I (or my mind) does not find the regular activities interesting enough to focus my entire attention on them, I tend to multitask.

I am really finding it hard to deal with a very heart wrenching event which I know I will have to go though in the near future. It is not something imaginary, or fictitious. It is a very concrete event which is on the calendar. I dont know how not to think about that event in the future and just focus on the "Now",

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards
neil1234

Re: Can you really be in the "NOW" while waiting death sent

Postby azooo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:41 pm

Dwell on this one:

Who is dying and to whom a bad thing happens if you are in the now?

If you experience tension and anxiety then it is a great indicator that some form of identity is still operating in you.
azooo

Re: Can you really be in the "NOW" while waiting death sent

Postby smiileyjen101 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:58 pm

Neil said: I am really finding it hard to deal with a very heart wrenching event which I know I will have to go though in the near future. It is not something imaginary, or fictitious. It is a very concrete event which is on the calendar. I dont know how not to think about that event in the future and just focus on the "Now",

Hi Neil, from the moment we are born there is no surer thing than that we will all face death, anything in between is an adventure of spirit in impermanent physical form.
Hafiz said: I am the hole in the flute, through which the Christ (Creation) breath flows, listen to the music!

When facing certain 'things' of course anticipation and expectation will arise. BEING fully in the moment, watching the thoughts of anticipation and expectation arising whilst having a clarity of the space is like looking in the mirror and knowing that the vision that you see in the reflection is not 'you', it is a reflection.

In terms of ET then the meeting of the arising of the thoughts would be accepting - at this moment this thought has arisen, my response to it is to accept that it has arisen and I have noticed it, now I can let it flow through on its way - ego would say hang on a minute.. we need to hold onto it, grab it and mangle it and torture ourseles with it, rummage again and again into the past from whence it came and into the future where it 'might' become a reality in the form that it has arisen. In that moment you don't notice the sun shining, the smile of those around you, the breath of a breeze on your skin and the air being taken into your lungs, and your blood pumping around your body and giving you life right now!

In terms of Hafiz's quote - listen to the music. In acceptance that life is flowing through you, let the music flow, listen to the music, watch it float away, if you try to hold onto it, it will squeak like a strangled note.

If that doesn't work, try violence!! :lol: If you don't feel you can just let them flow through, try putting a rubber band on your wrist, when you notice you're strangling the note stretch the rubber band and ping it! Now you've got something else to think about :lol: (I'm kidding!! but changing your 'state' of awareness does help).

... So does understanding the biological process -
Our emotional responses are never about the 'what', they are always about the 'why' and the 'how', and the expectations about life that we have built up in resistance to being the hole in the flute.
If our expectations / anticipation is one of something that we have no control over and we fear the facing of it, the area of the brain that processes feelings into thoughts - the neo cortex - (the rational and language centre of the brain) will process the 'what' and our associated feelings of dread-anticipation into thoughts with a language of fear. The 'what' is alien to our knowing in experience, or surrounded by expectations. For a moment catch the 'language' of the thoughts, look at the words used within them, they will likely be all the words of resistance to ... rather than acceptance of....

The 'why' and the 'how' of a thing is processed by the limbic system generating the feelings we have about the 'thing'. If we are resistant to the 'thing' our feelings will be tense and reactive, not relaxed. If we breathe into our feelings, if we hold our feelings in love and centre our attention on embracing and relaxing our feelings, our thoughts (as translated into language by our neo-cortex) will be more relaxed, letting the music flow rather than strangling the notes, the words in the thoughts will be those of acceptance.

I find "It is what it is" a helpful statement of acceptance. It brings the emotions to 'neutral'. Not panic and not joy - acceptance.

The response in emotion is breathing space, relaxing. If a response is required of you NOW the response will flow from a space of peace, not resistance or reaction.

When you become comfortable with the little tightening of a NOW requiring a response - 'What would love do now?' I find helpful.

All of this is 'normal' biological processing.

Whatever it is you are facing, know that in the actual moment of it you will BE there, and then the experience is very different to experiencing the anticipation and expectation of 'it', which are only impotent, distanced thoughts about 'it', not BEING in it and able to respond and process it as it really is within the wholeness of you.

Remember to breathe out, the breathing in will occur all by itself.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Return to Pain and Suffering