Accepting what is

Topics related to physical, emotional and psychological forms of pain and suffering

Accepting what is

Postby HiThere » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:07 pm

Hi there,

Will keep this as short as possible so we can deal with facts. Almost 3 years ago my body/brain got sick, and it became chronic. No doctors could help me, tried a lot of them with multiple approaches. 8 months ago I guess I started obsessive research with the idea ''whatever it takes to get healthy'', and it did pay off. I am not 100% yet, but made huge progress. I know now what makes me sick (mold, it is in my house, on almost every food), and I am taking steps to get my body healthier again, like this morning a company visited to inspect the house for mold and I just sold my old place where I couldn't live anymore since I was not able to take care of myself. That said, I have a lot of trouble with accepting what is. For example people around me have often trouble understanding my disease, even my own doc. Most importantly, myself. Often I think way too much about it, and I would like to accept more what is. Like I still want to set goals and take steps so my body/brain functions better, but I know after reading the power of now and some part of a new earth that my approach is not correct. Is it true that the only answer is present moment awareness? Also, sometimes when it goes better for a while, I do something that is very dumb which causes my body to crash, like taking a cup of coffee or eating some nuts with the idea ''can't hurt''. I don't know what it is. It seems seriously that my ego is attached to the disease and I worry about this. Do you guys have any advice?

Thanks
HiThere

Re: Accepting what is

Postby peas » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:01 pm

The beautiful thing is the 'try it yourself' approach that we all encourage now that we've had a taste of the power of now ourselves. That's really the only way to fully answer your question as to whether awareness or presence works.

The best advice is that which springs up inside you as you access stillness in the present moment. All other advice is kinda hard to apply, because its second hand.

Your question seems to already have the practical advice you were seeking. This is a funny thing that happens on this journey. We can look inside the question to see the answer.

Here's an example:

"I have a lot of trouble accepting what is ... I think way too much about (my illness) ... Is it true that the only answer is present moment awareness?"

Three home runs :-)
peas

Postby HiThere » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:07 pm

Thanks

Will active meditation be beneficial for this?
HiThere

Postby peas » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:38 am

There are two main types of meditation: premeditated and choiceless awareness. Most people start with at least some, and sometimes lots, of premeditated meditation. This can certainly help slow down, and even stop, the constant stream of thinking, which in turn helps the rising of the choiceless awareness, which is really the main game when it comes to tapping into the infinite wisdom and intelligence that is deep inside each one of us.

Choiceless awareness is effortless. It just 'is there'. Which is cool, cause we are 'I am'. See the alignment?
peas

Postby HiThere » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:25 pm

Yes, I just have to keep doing what I do now and trying to become more and more aware of the present moment so my mind races less.
HiThere

Postby HiThere » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:28 pm

''It seems seriously that my ego is attached to the disease and I worry about this.''

Today I had my first day at work which is very special for me for reasons mentioned above. That said, before I went this morning, I said to myself ''no talking about the disease''. You guys can guess, that went totally wrong. Like I couldn't eat in the restaurant since my body gets sick after those foods so had to tell them something like ''allergic to mold'', but instead I kept talking and talking about it. I don't have any questions or anything really, just wanted to write it down so maybe after a while I can look at it again and see how things improved. Obviously if you guys have advice I always appreciate it.
HiThere

Postby peas » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:19 pm

If you think that the ego is attached to disease wait until you feel the bodily and visceral attachment to all the material things that make up your "life", so called.

I have felt it. It's remarkable yet it's hidden. Trapped in our body waiting for the day we lose everything. It's a violent, sick feeling. Very unnatural. The worse disease you can imagine. Taking up residence in every cell of our body.

Then there is the attachment to who we think we are: name, job, relationships, role. It's a thick web of identity that's very painful to let go of but entirely possible and absolutely worth all the pain.

Physical disease may just be the beginning of your journey.
peas

Postby Enlightened2B » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:37 pm

Hey There 'Hithere',

I'm curious. what steps have you taken to improve your health? What is your diet like? I too have severe mold allergies in the past, but it always stems from an underlying cause in the GI tract which usually means the good bacteria in the gut are outweighed by bad bacteria/yeast. This is called dysbiosis. Have you considered nutritional support? I've been through a lot of this myself and have become pretty knowledgeable about this area. Feel free to PM me as I think I understand what you're going through and can probably can provide you some good support.

As far as accepting, you do what you can to get better (and there ARE nutritional/holistic) therapies, but in the meantime, you have to realize, that this is, what is. When you have a flare up (which I've had many), it's uncomfortable, but it's 'there'. It's a by product of the human body and you can accept that the human body has its flaws while working to improve it.
Enlightened2B

Postby HiThere » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:37 pm

Did send u a pm, figured that would be better for the forum.
HiThere

Postby peas » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:07 pm

This may be useful - my summary notes from a Q & A that Eckhart gave on dealing with serious illness.

---
Q/ How is it possible to remain present when you are fighting a serious illness where the outcome is uncertain?

• Not only is it possible to be present, but it really is the only answer you have to that situation. Allow the illness to force you into presence.
  • Most humans have the illusion of a future, with some kind of fulfilment that's going to come. That's what makes serious illness hard for most people.
  • People sometimes awaken through contracting a life threatening illness. The illusion of future is questioned, sometimes for the first time in your life.
  • The purpose of your human life is fulfilled in the flowering of human consciousness in you. Thoughts subside, presence arises, the personality gets burned out of you.
  • The personality can't survive, "Ohhh what's going to happen to me?" Before you die the personality dies. All that remains is this absolute field of presence. It would never have happened without the illness.
  • It can also happen when death comes close through old age. You die before you die, because again your illusory future is questioned.
  • It can also happen when you lose everything, all your material possessions. Sometimes through a disaster. In this situation, personality is in such dreadful agony that the only way out is to surrender. Grace suddenly appears. Grace is hiding behind every disaster. For it to show its face fully, surrender is necessary. Surrender eliminates the ego and when the ego is gone, grace appears.
peas

Return to Pain and Suffering