Why did God give us emotions/feelings if we are to renounce

Topics related to physical, emotional and psychological forms of pain and suffering

Why did God give us emotions/feelings if we are to renounce

Postby honeybee88 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:45 pm

Eckhart says we are to detach ourselves from our emotions and feelings, and I am also reading the spiritual text The Upanishads and the Bhagavad Gita (which are excellent by the way) and one of the main messages is to renounce the worldly desire and human ambition and also to feel indifferent and ignore emotions and feelings - both positive and negative.

I get that this makes sense in regards to not getting attached to the physical and material, but I'm just wondering why God (Source, Divine, Creator..) made us with emotions and feelings if we are not suppose to take them seriously and instead ignore them for the Higher Self. Which again is a paradox because I understand being our Higher Self is the best we can be. But then what was the point of making us manifest as physical beings if we are to basically go against the physical world. It is bound to cause us suffering being in a place (the physical plane) where we are suppose to renounce it, just wondering why God would want us to experience that?
honeybee88

Re: Why did God give us emotions/feelings if we are to renou

Postby Fore » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:34 am

honeybee88 wrote: I get that this makes sense in regards to not getting attached to the physical and material, but I'm just wondering why God (Source, Divine, Creator..) made us with emotions and feelings if we are not suppose to take them seriously and instead ignore them for the Higher Self?

Because I got scared for just a moment and all hell broke loose. :oops:
Fore

Re: Why did God give us emotions/feelings if we are to renou

Postby peas » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:32 am

That's a misinterpretation. There is no renouncing. What you renounce you tie yourself to. There is observing, especially observing the psychological and emotional pain that you feel. Eckhart has suggested that rather than renounce emotions, you should try to gently embrace them. That is part of presence. To be still, with the pain.
peas

Return to Pain and Suffering