Is thought intelligent ?

Topics related to physical, emotional and psychological forms of pain and suffering

Is thought intelligent ?

Postby Phil2 » Sun May 04, 2014 6:02 pm

When we observe the flow/process of thought we can see that thought is made of 2 'phases':

1) there is this "voice in the head" as Eckhart Tolle called it (this voice might be associated with some mental images too)

and

2) there is a gap of silence between two successive thoughts, before a new thought (voice) arises

Now, during the appearance of the "voice in the head" (and most of us think this "voice" is "me" speaking, they 'identify' themselves with this voice), it can be said that there is no awareness, because all our attention is taken/captured by this voice ... this is why it is said that we are inattentive when we think, all our attention is directed inwards and we are no more attentive to outer manifestations ...

Then, when thought ends, there is a gap of silence, and this is where awareness (which is also intelligence) appears ... in this gap the meaning of the thought (voice) is examined and seen, in this silence ... and in this silence, the effect of thought on our emotion is also felt/sensed ... in other words our emotional reaction to this thought can be observed, and this emotional state is determinant for the appearance of the next thought ...

This is why it can be said that only our 'heart' is really intelligent, and this is also the Secret of the Fox as described by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry in his book "The Little Prince":

http://www.angelfire.com/hi/littleprinc ... ter21.html

"And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Now we can see that the "voice in the head" clearly takes place in the physical brain as a reaction of memory, while awareness (or intelligence) which appears in those gaps of silence (but which is also the permanent 'background' in which all forms appear, like silence is always there behind the noises), this awareness is like space and does not reside in any physical place ... it is unmanifested and formless ... and this awareness is our formless essence ...
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Re: Is thought intelligent ?

Postby kiki » Mon May 05, 2014 2:59 am

Now, during the appearance of the "voice in the head" (and most of us think this "voice" is "me" speaking, they 'identify' themselves with this voice), it can be said that there is no awareness, because all our attention is taken/captured by this voice ... this is why it is said that we are inattentive when we think, all our attention is directed inwards and we are no more attentive to outer manifestations ...

Awareness is present even when thoughts, emotions, and sensations are arising - that's why and how they are known to be there. Yes, attention seems to be absorbed in them, but awareness remains nonetheless.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Re: Is thought intelligent ?

Postby Phil2 » Mon May 05, 2014 10:01 am

kiki wrote:

Awareness is present even when thoughts, emotions, and sensations are arising - that's why and how they are known to be there. Yes, attention seems to be absorbed in them, but awareness remains nonetheless.

Yes I agree with this, this is why i said further in my post that awareness remains as a 'permanent background', like silence remains even when there is noise, and space remains even when an object occupies this space ... as you say without awareness nothing could even happen ... awareness being the space in which all forms, physical and psychological, take place ...

Another image i like is the sun and the clouds: thoughts are like clouds passing by in the sky, when they hide the sun, the sun is no more seen ... but of course the sun is still there behind, just hidden ... if the sun would not be there behind, even the clouds would not be seen (there would be no 'light' at all) ... and also the sun remains 'untouched' by those small clouds ... those clouds are important only for the limited seer from his point of view, not for the sun ...
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Return to Pain and Suffering