It went well for a while

Topics related to physical, emotional and psychological forms of pain and suffering

It went well for a while

Postby Dancingwithlight » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:34 pm

In 2008 I started reading Tolle ......watched all of the Oprah shows and downloaded the podcasts. I particularly like his Findhorn retreat. I meditated every day. Then read a lot of other spiritual teachers including Adyashanti.
I did have an awakening of sorts but it was never permanent. In fact I had to work at it. But all up it took the edge off and I found that I was a lot happier. Also I had a lot of insights and for the first time I did get a better understanding of what it was all about. It is not that I was new to the spiritual path either as I had been involved in new age/pagan/Jungian/Gnostic path. In sort I did a lot of exploring.
So things were going OK until last year. Then a friend of mine was involved with a narcissist and we explored this subject. I did psychology at uni for a few years so I have always been interested in that sort of thing. So anyway I came to realise that society had a very high percentage of narcs, some put it as high as 16% who work in this field. I also recognised that those in power were probably tainted and many others who were CEOs etc
So that was that little exploration. Not pretty.
Also for many years I have never bought into the explanation by government or main stream media of certain events. Even when I was right into Tolle.
The trouble is now is I have put together a fairly large picture and have had a type of other awakening......a dark one admittedly. The only way through this that I can see is to get back onto my spiritual path.
I would welcome any advice. Also has anyone experience this?
Though this is my first post I have often come here to read posts over the years.
Dancingwithlight

Re: It went well for a while

Postby Phil2 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:24 pm

Dancingwithlight wrote:So things were going OK until last year. Then a friend of mine was involved with a narcissist and we explored this subject. I did psychology at uni for a few years so I have always been interested in that sort of thing. So anyway I came to realise that society had a very high percentage of narcs, some put it as high as 16% who work in this field. I also recognised that those in power were probably tainted and many others who were CEOs etc

I think it is not a good idea to 'label' others as this or that ... unfortunately psychology and psychiatry love to diagnose others and put all people into 'boxes' ... like the famous DSM iV ... even Jung did this with his 'psychological types' (introvert/extravert etc ...) which led to the famous Myers- Brigg Type Indicator (MBTI) ...

If you studied Jung, you probably know that Jung himself went through a very dark (nearly psychotic) period after his rupture from Freud in 1913, and this lasted for about 10 years during which he wrote his 'Red Book' ...

Maybe you heard of Don Miguel Ruiz and his book "The Four Agreements" (nb:I strongly recommend) ? ... the very first agreement proposed by Ruiz is "Be impeccable with your word" ... the word has a high creative power ("In the Beginning was the Word"), if you believe narcissist people to be all around, well this is exactly what you 'll get ...

Moreover, if you put others in boxes ... well others will also put you in a box ... action >> reaction ... do not do to others etc ...
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby Webwanderer » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:35 pm

Dancingwithlight wrote:The trouble is now is I have put together a fairly large picture and have had a type of other awakening......a dark one admittedly. The only way through this that I can see is to get back onto my spiritual path.

Most of us have probably experienced something similar to one degree or another. There are a lot of options in life to which we can focus on. Recognize that where ever and what ever you focus on will grow in your perspective and experience. How you focus and think and apply meaning to it will dictate your experience of the subject at hand, and in time affect your over all perspective.

If you can get some clarity on how this works you can gain a degree of control over the direction of your life experience. That you spent some time in focus and concern over what you have defined as narcissism only demonstrates how energy creatively follows thought. Now, you can't get rid of what you have experienced, but you can make it less and less relevant in your general perspective on life.

Simply focus on what you want to experience in life and let go of your concerns over what you've judged as wrong. In other words look to what brings you joy and happiness. Regain you sense of alignment with your own true nature. Don't be concerned if it takes more than a day, and don't be concerned if old thought patterns continue to arise for a while. Consciousness expands by inclusion, not exclusion. That you have some darkness lurking around in your conditioning is okay, we all do. It's just a matter of how we characterize, define and apply meaning to the thought content within us when it arises.

If it's important enough to spin and judge, it will grow. It we see it as irrelevant and choose another path to focus on, the chosen path will will gain energy and grow. We can labor over what government and CEO's do and it will only add to negative energy in our experience. Or we can live with a sense of appreciation that there is much in life that is experientially beautiful.

The more we find to appreciate and enjoy, the more our life will respond accordingly. You've already experienced this when you began to explore the teachings of Tolle and others. Look for the next step in awakening, in clarity, in joy, in alignment. Bask in it, focus on it, love it and live it. Adding this energy to this physical environment will do more to transform it in a positive way than all the concerns of a lifetime.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby Dancingwithlight » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:42 pm

Webwanderer wrote:
Dancingwithlight wrote:The trouble is now is I have put together a fairly large picture and have had a type of other awakening......a dark one admittedly. The only way through this that I can see is to get back onto my spiritual path.

Most of us have probably experienced something similar to one degree or another. There are a lot of options in life to which we can focus on. Recognize that where ever and what ever you focus on will grow in your perspective and experience. How you focus and think and apply meaning to it will dictate your experience of the subject at hand, and in time affect your over all perspective.

If you can get some clarity on how this works you can gain a degree of control over the direction of your life experience. That you spent some time in focus and concern over what you have defined as narcissism only demonstrates how energy creatively follows thought. Now, you can't get rid of what you have experienced, but you can make it less and less relevant in your general perspective on life.

Simply focus on what you want to experience in life and let go of your concerns over what you've judged as wrong. In other words look to what brings you joy and happiness. Regain you sense of alignment with your own true nature. Don't be concerned if it takes more than a day, and don't be concerned if old thought patterns continue to arise for a while. Consciousness expands by inclusion, not exclusion. That you have some darkness lurking around in your conditioning is okay, we all do. It's just a matter of how we characterize, define and apply meaning to the thought content within us when it arises.

If it's important enough to spin and judge, it will grow. It we see it as irrelevant and choose another path to focus on, the chosen path will will gain energy and grow. We can labor over what government and CEO's do and it will only add to negative energy in our experience. Or we can live with a sense of appreciation that there is much in life that is experientially beautiful.

The more we find to appreciate and enjoy, the more our life will respond accordingly. You've already experienced this when you began to explore the teachings of Tolle and others. Look for the next step in awakening, in clarity, in joy, in alignment. Bask in it, focus on it, love it and live it. Adding this energy to this physical environment will do more to transform it in a positive way than all the concerns of a lifetime.

WW

Hi WW
Thank you for the good advice.
I am certainly trying to balance up after what I consider a paridigm shift of how I see the world. I have never had my head in the sand on how things operate nor do I ignore the good in the world. I remember an early interview with Adyashanti in which he made the remark that when he woke up he felt he had landed in an insane asylum. Tolle has also spoken of the mad world in his Findhorn Retreat. Obviously neither of them are in any sort of denial.
Even though I know I am nowhere near such an enlightened state as Tolle or Adya I feel the same way and see it with clarity. Before this these were just words and the world was rather fuzzy and didn't make much sense in the way it operated.
What I feel I have seen is a shadow world that many never see preferring the illusion that is created by main stream media, entertainment etc. In many ways I feel a bit like Neo waking up in the Matrix. I also have a much deeper appreciation of Platos Cave.
Psychologically to see it out there is a safe place to view it before you see it within yourself.This is Paul Levy's position in his book Wetico. Jung's view was 'ignore the shadow at your peril.' Sadly my friend choose to ignore her partners dark nature and it nearly cost her life when he attempted to throw her to her death on two separate ocassions. Sometimes it pays to make a judgement?
As much as I can I get out into nature, as well as meditating and listening to music as well as being creative. I stay in present moment though I feel it is only in my mind......as Tolle has said in PON which I read again recently ....you can not find the present moment as long as you are in your mind. Not sure how to get around this. I really think this is where I went wrong to begin with. Obviously I have a long way to go!
Thanks again for replying I do appreciate it.
Dancingwithlight
Dancingwithlight

Postby Webwanderer » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:42 pm

Dancingwithlight wrote:Sometimes it pays to make a judgement?

Yes, so long as by judgment you mean discernment and not a condemnation of wrong. Discernment is a matter of clarity, condemnation is one of separation.

as Tolle has said in PON which I read again recently ....you can not find the present moment as long as you are in your mind. Not sure how to get around this.

I agree with Tolle here. The clearer path to presence is less through mind and thinking, and more through our feeling nature and sensing. Feel the fullness of the moment and your sense of presence will grow. Recognize that one feels the alignment with their true nature rather than by way of analytical process. Rest in the feeling, bask in the feeling, reclaim your familiarity with the feel of being - free of any analytical definition. Feel your very existence.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby Dancingwithlight » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:04 am

"I agree with Tolle here. The clearer path to presence is less through mind and thinking, and more through our feeling nature and sensing. Feel the fullness of the moment and your sense of presence will grow. Recognize that one feels the alignment with their true nature rather than by way of analytical process. Rest in the feeling, bask in the feeling, reclaim your familiarity with the feel of being - free of any analytical definition. Feel your very existence. "

Hi WW
Yes that makes sense. I find it very easy to this in a park or out in nature or when I sit quietly.
Thanks for the clarification small points make large differences.
Cheers
DWL
Dancingwithlight

Postby Dancingwithlight » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:04 pm

I have been reading John Lash's book Not In His Image which is base on the Gnostic text
This I feel is an important book. Tolle has mentioned his writing the Gnostics so I think it is appropriate to mention them.
Here is an interview with John Lash

http://www.zengardner.com/archons-gnost ... john-lash/
Dancingwithlight

Return to Pain and Suffering