The Mindful Way through Depression (book)

Topics related to physical, emotional and psychological forms of pain and suffering

The Mindful Way through Depression (book)

Postby Phil2 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:48 pm

Just wanted to give some feedback on a very interesting book (recently recommended by our friend Manyana in another discussion) about the healing power of 'mindful meditation' (can be easily downloaded freely as pdf - but no link here :) ):

The Mindful Way through Depression - Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness

BY MARK WILLIAMS; JOHN TEASDALE; ZINDEL SEGAL; JON KABAT-ZINN

Audio version also available on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raBlERzb_S4

Also many conferences from Jon Kabat-Zinn available on Youtube ...

This book explains that instead of reacting to painful events with 'experiential avoidance', which is the habitual way for our defense system to avoid painful experiences, we can instead fully live those painful emotions by directly observing the effects in our body (tensions, rapid breath, aches, fast heart beat etc.).

So instead of constantly repressing painful emotions, better live those fully, and doing this we can get rid of them and heal our emotional wounds by experiencing our painful emotions and become more resilient to our compulsive self-destructive negative thoughts which cause our depression.

The authors speak of switching from habitual 'doing mode' (thought, analysis, problem solving etc.) to a 'being mode', which 'allows' the emotions to be fully experienced consciously and mindfully ...

I think this is totally in line with Eckhart Tolle's teachings who always recommends awareness of the body, and as he says to "inhabit our body" especially in stressful situations ... the body brings you back to the now ... to beingness ...
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Re: The Mindful Way through Depression (book)

Postby Enlightened2B » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:31 pm

Thanks for posting this Phil. I'm going to check out the audio on this. Been meaning to read this book for a while now.

Jon Kabbat Zinn is great. I'd also recommend his book 'full catastrophe living". Great book on dealing with disease.
Enlightened2B

Re: The Mindful Way through Depression (book)

Postby randomguy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:52 pm

" instead of reacting to painful events with 'experiential avoidance', which is the habitual way for our defense system to avoid painful experiences, we can instead fully live those painful emotions by directly observing the effects in our body "

I like this message. A worthwhile thing to explore, what it's like to allow the painful emotions from a surrendered or open view.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho
randomguy

Return to Pain and Suffering